March 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.3K replies 107.5K views

Replies

• Girl_least_likely_toGirl_least_likely_to Forumite
    584 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Well, I braved going to the new Aldi. I'm glad I walked as the cars were queueing to get in! People were fighting over the trolleys as there were none left :rotfl: . I spent £9.27 which got me roughly half what was on my list. I only bought items which I thought were cheaper than at Morrisons. I'll go there to get the rest tomorrow, hopefully I'll be spending less than £10 which will leave me with a nice amount left in my budget for the rest of the month.
  • mikeDmikeD Forumite
    359 posts
    Hi Mike

For smaller quantities I use:

125g dark chocolate
    125g butter
    2 large eggs
    200g castor sugar
    75g plain flour
    pinch of salt

Use a 23cm square tin, 4 cm deep. Bake for 20 mins 180 C/Gas mark 4. This is from Nigella again, her cream cheese brownies. I didnt fancy the cream cheese, but only wanted to make a small batch and the quantities worked fine. I also chuck in nuts if DD isnt around and dried fruit. Just what ever is lying around.

I think brownies are a good place to start if anyone is not confident about baking :D
    Thank you skintscots lass, also thanks to mama67 and JaneC for their versions. May have a go at a couple of these in the not too distant future and compare results.

Will have to get some bits and pieces today so off to shops after lunch.

Love the FM

• Mrs._IrwinMrs._Irwin Forumite
    161 posts
    TheBees wrote: »
    Re the rice cooking I used to be hopeless at rice and always bought boil in the bag until we discovered Delia's method. We use a frying pan with a glass lid so we can keep an eye on it (bought from Lidl a few months ago). Using a jug or mug we use double the amount of water to rice, drizzle a tiny amount of oil over the rice and stir it around then add boiling water. Bring to the boil then simmer until the water has been absorved into the rice. Tilt the pan to check. Delia reckons it should take about 15 mins.

Good luck everyone.

I was just about to suggest Delia's rice method! It's the way my Mum taught me and I have never ever had a problem with rice! I heat the oil in the pan, then stir the rice in to ensure its all coated, then pour the boiling water in, give it one stir and put the lid on, when the water's gone, the rice is cooked. The key is using twice the amount of water as rice by volume, so measure the rice in a jug, not by weight.

This is a useful way of cooking rice, as you can make what Mum calls 'Green Rice'. In the oil, fry off an onion, celery and mushrooms , or peppers or other similar veggies till they're soft and then add the rice, and add a stock cube to the boiling water. Very tasty and an easy, nutritious meal! :j

Mrs. Irwin
    xx
    A penny saved is a penny earned.

Grocery Challenge: September: £1.75/£200
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    icandream wrote: »
    Can anybody help: I've looked on the indexed collections, but can't see it?

There are a couple of recipes here for millionaires shortbread and a micro recipe for caramel shortbread (same thing, different name) I'll try and find a link :)

They aren't in the index yet because I'm still catching up!

Edited to say try this thread
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all
    I've managed NSD's since monday and survived with 17p in my purse. BUT i had to draw tomorrows money out this morning as DH needed his phone topping up and DS2 has a disco tonight so that will cost me £2.

will count last week as in budget and try to strech next week, kids break up on thursday so will be one days lunch money less.

I won £50 of poundland vouchers and spent £30 of them this week - topped up the cupboards nicely and will help strech out this months money:T
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • MrsBartolozziMrsBartolozzi Forumite
    6.4K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    A quick appeal to Mrs MC (or anyone else who can help, thanks)

I am about to make the tortillas using the recipe MrsM posted on here last month. Can anyone tell me what size the cups are? - american, any old teacup etc

Thanks MrsB.

It's only a game

~*~*~ We're only here to dream
    ~*~*~
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Hi there mrs Bartolozzi

1 cup of flour was 120g
    and 3/4 cup milk is 180ml ..hope that helps
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • MrsBartolozziMrsBartolozzi Forumite
    6.4K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much MrsM off to make them now - enchiladas for tea!!

It's only a game

~*~*~ We're only here to dream
    ~*~*~
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Hi everyone

Just thought id pop a list of the conversions on my cups in case it could be of use to anyone else ... never thought of doing it before ..thanks Mrs B

fluid measurements

1 fluid oz = 2tbs = 30ml
    4 fluid oz =1/2 cup = 120ml
    8 fluid oz =1 cup = 240ml
    12 fluid oz =1 1/2cups = 360ml
    16 fluid oz = 2 cups = 480ml

dry volume

1/2 tsp = 2.5ml
    1tsp = 5ml
    1tbs = 15ml
    1 cup =240 ml
    4 cups = 1qt =946ml

Well whilst im here.... I have managed another NSD today :j making 6 days in a row :D ..... and im frantically working out how to trim the budget a bit further ...heck this is addictive.. who would have thought you could have so much fun NOT spending money :T

Just been talking to my mum.... when i was in the Uk i put my name down for an allotment..they back on to the house we will be living in when hubby finishes in the army... well the council just rant to offer me my allotment... poooooop.... so we had to say no thanks.. but as soon as we know we will be moving back im gonna get my name down again.... wil just have to carry on growing in tubs until then ;)

keep up the good work everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • findingmyfeetfindingmyfeet Forumite
    497 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    hi all,
    feeling self righteous once again ( it wont last much longer i'm sure ). Just had another baking session whilst everyone out, and just managed to get most in the freezer before they start getting in. Made tortillas (thanks mrs M once again, saving an absolute fortune on those, going through 16 a week in pack ups. ) alson fruit loaf, bread rolls and JAYNCEC- thanks for the brownie recipe. Just come out the oven and had one hot with a coffee (diet blown again.. but i had to see if I would make them again!!!!!) they are really nice. Had all the ingredients in the stroe cupboard, quick and simple to make. Will make more next week for easter and put a spot of chocolate on top and if they lucky a mini egg.

Starting to panic on the money front, seems to be disappearing quickly update sig later., still get to get fresh stuff tomorrow. see how it goes.
    sealed pot member no :081:o 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 ;)£482.30 2019 £655.58