March 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 119

New Post Advanced Search

March 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.3K replies 107.5K views

Replies

• mhemhe Forumite
    418 posts
    The Bees - in the bottom LH corner of each post next to the warning triangle (report the post ) is a circle. If its a green colour that person is online and if its blue they are offline. HTH
    "With no money you start to discover your own inner resource" GK Chesterton
    2 adults, 3 children
  • icandreamicandream Forumite
    277 posts
    angelnikki wrote: »
    Ooh I'm nervous now! I hope you like it! I bet you're gonna be popular though if you're making two lots in one week!
    Nikki
    x

Tee hee. My one problem with baking more is that things go so quickly. Small batch of cookies last night - just two left. Brownies on Monday lasted until... oooh, Tuesday! That's the problem with 3 kiddies and a huge DH! And a hamster! :rotfl:
    I can't wait. This is one of my favourite treats. It'll be interesting to see if I can beat the Lidl price (and taste!).

Thanks funkyfunkymonkey. It was posted: looking forward to making some now... tomorrow's job!

Got to go and finish my bagels now - got a horrible feeling they are not going to work.

Spent £2.30 in tescos on cocoa and eggs! :eek: Seems a lot to me. Have to update my signature.

March Grocery Challenge: £270/spend: £264.12
  • mhemhe Forumite
    418 posts
    Just adding up receipts and :eek: :eek: :eek: gone over budget - now at £214 !!! Worked out that i have until the 26th before i can go near a shop so i am planning to live from storecupboards for the next 12 days (milk might be the only item i can buy) so as to limit the damage. This is my 2nd GC and i have gone over in both so as you can see i am obviously not very good at sticking to a budget so my hat off to all of you who are doing so well and have money left over!!
    "With no money you start to discover your own inner resource" GK Chesterton
    2 adults, 3 children
  • icandreamicandream Forumite
    277 posts
    mhe wrote: »
    Just adding up receipts and :eek: :eek: :eek: gone over budget - now at £214 !!! Worked out that i have until the 26th before i can go near a shop so i am planning to live from storecupboards for the next 12 days (milk might be the only item i can buy) so as to limit the damage. This is my 2nd GC and i have gone over in both so as you can see i am obviously not very good at sticking to a budget so my hat off to all of you who are doing so well and have money left over!!

I'm only sticking to my budget because I'm using up a lot of stuff that I discovered in the freezer, plus extending buys as far as they can go. It's really made me think. I panicked (as I posted) doing my first bulk cook a couple of days ago, but out of a £3 pack of 750 g mince, I've got enough for at least 3 meals for the 5 of us.
    I'm sure you can do it in the next few days from store cupboard items - there's some terrific advice on here. Do keep posting. And lots of luck!

March Grocery Challenge: £270/spend: £264.12
  • FrugaldomFrugaldom Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening all, I'm still being a skinflint, haven't spent at all in 6 days and am using powdered milk for everything at the moment. I've even frugalised my baking further by using up the scraps of pastry to make snack bars with grated apple inside - quick, easy, DS likes them and they're just as quick and easy to make with cheese & tomato, or jam or, basically, anything at all inside them! :rotfl: They look like mini pop-tarts! Possible alternatives to expensive diet snack bars? They cost pennies to make.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise and saving to build eco-cabins! :D
  • mumzyof2mumzyof2 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Hi all i went shoppping today for baking things and got

apple juice (for mornings) 58p
    pudding rice 58p
    sausages frozen 85p
    kidney beans 14p
    pastry case for my quiche cause im a cheat lol 56p
    2 x leeks 90p! OMG
    fresh eggs 99p for 6 (does anyone else think thats a bit dear for morrisons own? )
    dried fruit mix 79p
    cravendale milk 2 for £2
    sugar 79p
    2 x cooking apples for apple crumble 73p

Wasnt too shocked when i got to checkout wither :) should only need milk and veg fruit now but that will be free when my tokens come through :) only spent £44.71 so far!!! for me and 2 kids and sometimes oh lol is that good or not?
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • carolt2carolt2 Forumite
    852 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all, quick update. Stayed away from the shops for a few days. But had to go again this evening. Had to go cause we needed milk and a few other bits and pieces. So we went to morrisons.
    Found some reduced fresh parmesan. Got 2 weeks left befor it rund out of date. should have been £2.14 but got it for 89p:T . Has anyone frozen parmesan before? Should i grate it first?.
    Total spend £26.86

Signature updated
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • KITTY_2-2KITTY_2-2 Forumite
    263 posts
    Evening all

I always use Nigella's recipe which involves boiling the condensed milk, sugar and syrup in the microwave. It's never failed yet ;)

Also my family love cheesecake base so I tried the recipe once with this instead of shortbread and most prefered it. I usually buy SP cookies or chocolate digestives, crush them in a bag with a rolling pin or blitz in the food processor and mix with melted butter and a touch of syrup :drool: I've also used a few ginger nuts in there for a slightly different flavour. Works for us!

Well off to bed before I'm tempted to go make some :naughty:
    :xmastree:
    Merry Christmas
    263 posts
    2 x leeks 90p! OMG

I know how you feel mumzy, I got a shock with these too. Bought 2 for a leek and potato soup. They were large but cost £1.15 :confused: I nearly put them back!
    Merry Christmas
    263 posts
    Has anyone frozen parmesan before? Should i grate it first?.

Cheese can be frozen. I have bought large pieces of cheddar or red leicester, grated and frozen it. Not done it with parmesan but I would have thought the same applies.
    Merry Christmas