PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    KITTY wrote: »
    2 x leeks 90p! OMG

I know how you feel mumzy, I got a shock with these too. Bought 2 for a leek and potato soup. They were large but cost £1.15 :confused: I nearly put them back!

I know!! I didnt know till got my recipet out to post my totals..i got them sepreatly because the pack ones were about £1.28 i think in MR M!!!! I have to say leek and potato soup was loverly and 1st time kids eaten all of thier soup i have made so i wil make it again but il buy my leeks from market i think if theier cheaper.

Any other easy soup recipes anyone??? cheap ones im on a budget pmsl i very strict one..:rotfl: any recipe i can use from my cupbaords i have most normal stuff in..as im away beginning of april for me hols!! 2 weeks of bliss lmao:rotfl:
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    KITTY wrote: »
    Has anyone frozen parmesan before? Should i grate it first?.

Cheese can be frozen. I have bought large pieces of cheddar or red leicester, grated and frozen it. Not done it with parmesan but I would have thought the same applies.

Thanks, I will try it and see what happens.
    I know most cheeses can be frozen, but like you i have never tried it.
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    Options
    mumzyof2 wrote: »
    I know!! I didnt know till got my recipet out to post my totals..i got them sepreatly because the pack ones were about £1.28 i think in MR M!!!! I have to say leek and potato soup was loverly and 1st time kids eaten all of thier soup i have made so i wil make it again but il buy my leeks from market i think if theier cheaper.

Any other easy soup recipes anyone??? cheap ones im on a budget pmsl i very strict one..:rotfl: any recipe i can use from my cupbaords i have most normal stuff in..as im away beginning of april for me hols!! 2 weeks of bliss lmao:rotfl:

What kind of soups do you and the kids like mumzy ??

I do have a crackin soup recipe book so may be able to help a little :o
  • mumzyof2
    Options
    nopot2pin wrote: »
    What kind of soups do you and the kids like mumzy ??

I do have a crackin soup recipe book so may be able to help a little :o

ANything really..i have in cupbards/fridge/freezer...

left over gammon that needs using up, beans,tomotoes (tinned), lots of carrots (im going to be doing carrot and corriander soup) lots of onions, potatoes got veg stock beef stock etc.

i have seen a recipe for a chicken pasta soup which i think kids will love :)

http://www.cookuk.co.uk/soup_starter/ChickenPastaSoup.htm

what you think, i have everything in also for that soup
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • nopot2pin
    Options
    ANything really..i have in cupbards/fridge/freezer...

left over gammon that needs using up, beans,tomotoes (tinned), lots of carrots (im going to be doing carrot and corriander soup) lots of onions, potatoes got veg stock beef stock etc.

i have seen a recipe for a chicken pasta soup which i think kids will love :)

http://www.cookuk.co.uk/soup_starter/ChickenPastaSoup.htm

what you think, i have everything in also for that soup

Hi mumzy...
    The book I have is called The 100 great soups... so it really has a bit of a mixture of everything.
    I love it.

I have made, so far
    Cullen Skink - a Scottish soup of Smoked haddock and potato (:drool:)
    Broccoli and Stilton
    Pea and Ham (for my parents)
    Curried Parsnip
    Red Pepper and tomato
    Spring Courgette
    Baked Bean - Not so sure about this one...but different :p The kids might like it.
    Potato and Leek
    Pumpkin and Melted Onion
    French Onion

There are many more recipes in the book .... and I would love to try some of the chowder ones, but haven't as of yet.
    There are quite a few Chicken and meat recipes... but I dont eat either.... but could post a couple of different ones if it helps :o

Too be honest ... with soup... I follow a basic recipe, and adapt as I go along....
    Eg... If I dont have stilton for a broccoli and stilton soup, I would use strong chedder....
    I always taste, to see if it needs anything.

No two pots of soup are the same in this house :o
  • mumzyof2
    Options
    nopot2pin wrote: »
    Hi mumzy...
    The book I have is called The 100 great soups... so it really has a bit of a mixture of everything.
    I love it.

I have made, so far
    Cullen Skink - a Scottish soup of Smoked haddock and potato (:drool:)
    Broccoli and Stilton
    Pea and Ham (for my parents)
    Curried Parsnip
    Red Pepper and tomato
    Spring Courgette
    Baked Bean - Not so sure about this one...but different :p The kids might like it.
    Potato and Leek
    Pumpkin and Melted Onion
    French Onion

There are many more recipes in the book .... and I would love to try some of the chowder ones, but haven't as of yet.
    There are quite a few Chicken and meat recipes... but I dont eat either.... but could post a couple of different ones if it helps :o

Too be honest ... with soup... I follow a basic recipe, and adapt as I go along....
    Eg... If I dont have stilton for a broccoli and stilton soup, I would use strong chedder....
    I always taste, to see if it needs anything.

Could you pm me the bake bean soup one? sounds intresting. Not that i would eat it lol shame il give funny looking named soups to my kids and not me :rotfl: :rotfl:
    They love beans though :)
    Thankyou so much for taking your time and helping me tonight, i apprechiate it x
  • nopot2pin
    Options
    Could you pm me the bake bean soup one? sounds intresting. Not that i would eat it lol shame il give funny looking named soups to my kids and not me :rotfl: :rotfl:
    They love beans though :)
    Thankyou so much for taking your time and helping me tonight, i apprechiate it x

Tis no problem at all :D

Will just post it here... Just incase anyone else fancies the sound of it. :o

Baked Bean Soup

450g / 1 lb pork sausages
    2tbsp sunflower/olive oil
    1 large onion
    900ml / 1 and half pints of veg stock (from a cube is ok)
    400g / 14oz can of baked beans
    2 tsp Wocestershire sauce
    Salt and pepper to season

1. Grill the sausages until lightly browned and cooked through. Leave to cool, enough to cut into small pieces.

2. Heat oil in a large pan. Add the onion, and cook for about 5 minutes until softened, and lightly browned... Add the cut up sausages.

3. Pour the stock into the pan. Add the beans, Worcester sauce... season to taste and bring to the boil.

4. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes until heated through.

After typing this up... I have realised why I found this bizarre:eek:

I dont eat meat...so when I made it, it didnt have any sausages in it....
    No wonder it felt like something was missing.

Hope its ok for your kids mumzy :D
  • JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Had to go to Sainsbury to get more milk and the catfood I forgot the other day! Spent £4.67 will update sig. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go over budget as we use so much milk. Even if that's all I buy I think it'll take me over:(

Last night I did loads of batch cooking and can't fit it in the freezer as it's full of bread!! I need a bigger freezer or an extra one, do you think it'd be too cheeky to ask for one on freecycle?!

I made big batch of mince in gravy and another batch in tomato based sauce. Made cottage pie with mince in gravy for tea and I'm going to have a go at making pasties with the rest. It's bolognaise/chilli for the other batch we had some for tea and have another 3 portions left. Also cooked a load of chicken thighs and drumsticks, some for lunchboxes and some for teas. Now have to try and rearrange the freezer or else we won't be able to eat it before it goes off!!

JayneC
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Just a quickie to update the total.....

Popped into Tesco last night to get toiletries and something for tea (too tired to cook and will be away again in the US from Sat- Weds).
    Managed to spend £11.22 - virtually all on smellies etc - why do you run out of everything at the same time?
    At least I get fed for free when I'm working away!

About half way on the budget total now and will try to keep it to a minimum when I get back from the States - I think I can get by with just some fresh stuff as there's enough to make about 10 meals out of in the freezer and cupboards - should last until March 29th when the new month starts for me.

Keep it up everyone!
  • betterlatethannever
    Options
    I think i might be cheating a little this month.:o
    A friends gone away for a couple of weeks and asked us to housesit so i'm mostly using his food and stuff until it runs out. Should save me quite a bit, although as he's the average young, professional male he has only limited food in:rolleyes:
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure