Pet Insurance Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Miroslav wrote:
    Thank You, I'm still coming to terms with the amount of areas on this board :D
    Hey no worries..................it's a biggun innit!!! Hope you are enjoying it though! ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • stanmoresaver
    Options
    I've had a good look around comparing the likes of M&S, Sainsbury, for lifetime plans and AFI seem very competitive

Have anyone had any experience of the service standards of Animal Friends Insurance.

:beer:
    I am a fee charging WoM Mortgage broker.
    I now no longer give information and opinion within the Mortgage boards, because a number of posters who, having approached me professionally, agreed my fee-which has been been made very clear at the outset, taken my advice (normally cancelling a [home visit] meeting at short notice) have then approached one of the fee-free brokers on here to arrange the very same deal I have advised.
    Whilst I totally concur with the ethos of "money saving"- abusing the goodwill of a professional who provides a quality service is taking it too far! :mad:
  • Grumpysally
    Grumpysally Posts: 791 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One other thing to remember when it comes to insurance vs. savings is the possibility of your dog being involved in an accident of some sort and then some one deciding to take you to court to sue for damages.
    Ive not heard of this happening to anyone but in todays compensation culture its something worth bearing in mind.
    Our pooch is inured through pet plan @ £13.98 a month and has up to £1,000 000 third party liability insurance, That would take a lot of saving up for.
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You might be able to guess what I do for a living - and last year I took a long time researching what insurance to use for my dog - who was 5 years old at the time. I'd been using Pinnical - a whole life policy, but was getting really annoyed at the annual increases of 20%, and when I did an online quote found that I'd save £50 a year as a new customer! I do not recommend them.

Eventually I settled on M&S and have just received my first years renewal - NO ICREASE - what a shock:eek: but a very nice one:j .

My advice is DO NOT COMPARE PRICE UNTIL YOU'VE DECIDED ON WHAT COVER YOU NEED - THEN COMPARE LIKE FOR LIKE.

Statistically pedigrees (cat and dog) are more likely to develope long term ilnesses - and therefore 'full life' policies are more likely to be needed.
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    I was checking the comparison site for pet insurance. According to this website E & L offer my dog at £5.95 per month, which seems pretty good. Has anyone has any experience with them or any other and can recommend a hastle free but cheapish company?
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • WeirdoMagnet
    WeirdoMagnet Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't insure with E&L! To cut a long story short, they are notorious for not paying out on claims. Yep they are cheap, but almost pointless parting with your premiums.

Try Marks & Spencer - they always seem to be recommended as being good payers on a dog forum i'm on, but their admin leaves a bit to be desired. I applied online with them and it took a month (and a few phone calls) to get any paperwork through - others say the same.

HTH
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • Porker
    Porker Posts: 369 Forumite
    Options
    I insure my boy (see avatar) with direct line (I think). I got mine from https://www.pet-cover.com, definately worth shopping around.
    if it's more than 10 stone, and that hairy, it's probably not a dog...it may be a wookie.
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    Georgina wrote:
    Don't insure with E&L! To cut a long story short, they are notorious for not paying out on claims. Yep they are cheap, but almost pointless parting with your premiums.

HTH

Do they fail to pay you or the vet? I am trying to find an insurer that has a premium less than a tenner
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can recommend both Direct Line and Tesco for pet insurance. Both efficient and no dispute when I had to make a claim.

I think the premium will depend on the age of the animal and the excess. It reaches a point where the premium is so high, you have to ask yourself whether you would prolong an old animals life if a huge bill came along and 'self-insure' for the smaller stuff.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am with Petplan as they were really the only ones around when I got my dogs and they are now old so most places won't insure them on a new policy.

However, although they look expensive on the surface you get what you pay for. They do insure for life time of the illness and they pay very quickly. The last settlement we had came through before my credit card bill with the fees on.

I was looking to switch to M&S but when I worked out their price for my dog, they were more expensive than PP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure