🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Pet Insurance Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Mazio_2
    Mazio_2 Posts: 347 Forumite
    Options
    I know you can get better but but it does seem to be alot less than anyone else and still seems to be good.

Link HERE

We have just got 2 Ragdoll kittens and I am using this although I have never claimed so will see but £3.95 each or £47 a year (I think reasonable cover).
    Look after the pennies and the pounds will spend themselves
  • richardcn
    Options
    I've just done a fairly detailed search for our 2 cats (both toms, aged 9 & 11) and I was not at all impressed with the hidden costs in a lot of policies (ie. hidden excesses for 'older' cats). If I read it right AFI has you paying the first 35% of a claim (for 'older' cats) on top of the normal £49 excess! (Also note that they are underwritten by E & L - Read previous posts). In the end I plumped for Halifax which is very impressive, cheap and award winning (as is their contents insurance). We even got a 10% disc for insuring a second pet. (Make sure your 'second' pet is the most expensive quote to make the most of the discount). Hope this is of some use to somebody.
  • Mazio_2
    Options
    Sorry Didnt spot the pet insurance discusion thread so posted new one.
    Look after the pennies and the pounds will spend themselves
  • FL
    FL Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My pet insurance renewal came through from Direct Line last week and it has gone up loads. The excess has increased as well. Any recommendations for other providers. I am currently with Direct Line
  • Porker
    Porker Posts: 369 Forumite
    Options
    try https://www.pet-cover.com for other providers and info etc.

HTH
    if it's more than 10 stone, and that hairy, it's probably not a dog...it may be a wookie.
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have just taken delivery of an 8 week old kitten and I am considering pet insurance. A number of them have 'boarding' as a benefit. Being really dim, does this mean that by paying £4.55 per month (argos policy) I will get £150 per year towards the cost of putting the cat in a cattery when we are on holiday? Seems a bit of a bargain if so and can't believe it's that simple. Also do I have to use the catteries recommended by the insurer?
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the policy won't cover boarding fees for annual holidays. Usually it refers to fees incurred if the owner is hospitalised.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • blossom30
    blossom30 Posts: 691 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, Nice to hear about your wee kitten , to be honest with animals you can be lucky like I have been and experience no real problems or you can have animals who develop really serious health problems, it's a gamble really. I have 3 cats Sophie, Bud and Nellie and they are 16,12 and 15 years resp; and I have never taken out pet insurance. The only bills I ever had were for neutering and their annual boosters which I don't think would be covered by pet insurance. The older cat Sophie did have an anal gland blockage problem but that only cost £14 to fix. I have to be more vigilant of my cats now because of their ages and because they can't tell you when they're ill but if you notice a problem early enough as in the blocked anal glands then you can prevent the problem developing further into a kidney infection which would cost far more to treat. As my cats seem to be living a long life I'm wondering whether I should have the annual booster!!!! bye shrewdal
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You would be better off putting the £4.55 a month into a high interest savings account, and drawing on that if you need to pay for treatment. Usually they will only cost you the innoculations once a year (about £40 where I am), and so it should build up nicely into the kitten's old age, when sadly they usually do need something doing. But often, insurance policies won't cover older cats so I don't think they're worth the bother - you're just giving your money away.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    Also bear in mind that policies have large excesses on them and often a vets bill comes in just around that figure (In my experience anyway) so you end up not being able to claim anyhow.

We did have insurance for a while for our two but I was not getting one single benfit from it and you can't claim for booster jabs anyway or innoculations.

My cat is now 10 and not insured. We save an amount per month in a seperate account to pay for his food and vets if he needs it. It works pretty well.
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family