Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

homemade pet food?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pets & Pet Care
29 replies 6K views

Replies

• bulchybulchy Forumite
    955 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    oops, just read back and realised you were actually asking for HM diet only. Sorry. Also forgot to say, whenever any of my dogs used to steal the catfood, they got the runs too, I now feed the cats on top of the freezer, so the dogs cant 'clean' the bowls out for them :rotfl: anyone would think they didnt get fed.
    Sue
  • beachbethbeachbeth Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    bulchy wrote:
    Hi, my dogs are fed raw meat,veg and bones, (BARF diet) one of my dogs was terrible for getting the runs, but has never looked back since I changed his diet.
    If you want to stick to tinned dog food, Chappie is a good one, easily digested and low in fat

Ive heard that dogs do really well on the BARF diet, have healthy coats and teeth etc. However, I know a vet who said, once you have treated a dog with a bone stuck in its throat you wouldn't let it near a bone every again. So this puts me off!

Chappie is a really good dog food but it is very 'sticky'. I tried one of my dogs with it and she used to find it hard to eat and it would get stuck on her nose and in her mouth! In the end she just lay down on the floor and looked at me whenever I put the Chappie down for her!:rolleyes: However, it does suit some dogs so I agree that its worth trying. Another one recommended by vets is the Butchers Tripe. They have varieties that have no tripe in them too (this can make your dog smell!)
  • bulchybulchy Forumite
    955 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    beachbeth wrote:
    Ive heard that dogs do really well on the BARF diet, have healthy coats and teeth etc. However, I know a vet who said, once you have treated a dog with a bone stuck in its throat you wouldn't let it near a bone every again. So this puts me off!

Chappie is a really good dog food but it is very 'sticky'. I tried one of my dogs with it and she used to find it hard to eat and it would get stuck on her nose and in her mouth! In the end she just lay down on the floor and looked at me whenever I put the Chappie down for her!:rolleyes: However, it does suit some dogs so I agree that its worth trying. Another one recommended by vets is the Butchers Tripe. They have varieties that have no tripe in them too (this can make your dog smell!)

You do have to be very careful with bones, make sure they dont eat them too fast etc, I would never leave them unsupervised. Its a good idea to hold the bones and let them eat them from your hands so you can control how fast they eat them. You can also grind them for them too, I used to smash bones up for my pup when I first started her on this diet, great fun!!!
    As for the BUtchers tripe, oh yes it does smell :rotfl: my 2 get raw tripe and that stinks. Mind saying that, my sense of smell is terrible and I cant smell it at all now, but my kids assure me that the house does stink when I'm defrosting it.
    Sue
  • MrsTinksMrsTinks Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With bones you have to be careful... if you feed raw chicken wings in a barf diet I would stick them through the mincer especially with small to medium dogs.
    My dog gets LARGE bones so she can't easily choke on them and she's not allowed any unsupervised.
    Bones ARE healthy and this is what the dog would eat if it was still a wild animal but our pets are "modified" ;) and sometimes need a little help :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • culpepperculpepper Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    does anyone feed their pets with home made food?
    Our cat is 12 now and can't manage the dried foods very well anymore.
    Ive been buying those little sachets of food (boxes of 12)for him for the last month to see if he can manage them better and he is much happier but my purse isn't.
    Anyone know the cheapest solution to feeding a senior cat?
  • champyschampys Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    culpepper wrote: »
    does anyone feed their pets with home made food?
    Our cat is 12 now and can't manage the dried foods very well anymore.
    Ive been buying those little sachets of food (boxes of 12)for him for the last month to see if he can manage them better and he is much happier but my purse isn't.
    Anyone know the cheapest solution to feeding a senior cat?

culpepper - there was a post about it by rhonda jean, but it was moved to the pet section. I just had a look but can't find it anymore; however I saved it and this is how it goes: (quote)

Homemade dog biscuits/treats
    2 cups water mixed with 2 tablespoons Vegemite OR two cups beef or chicken stock. This can be homemade or from stock powder.
    1 cup bread flour or plain/all-purpose flour
    2 cups wholemeal or rye flour
    1 cup rolled oats or instant oats
    ½ cup powdered milk
    1 teaspoon yeast

Please note: The biscuits will get their flavour from the liquid you use. If your dog likes vegemite, use that, if your dog likes beef or chicken, use the stock option.

Please note: The amount of liquid you add will depend entirely on your flour, oats and how much humidity is in the air. Start with 2 cups, but you might need to add another cup - in small portions until the dough feels right.
    You can make this in your bread machine or by hand. If using the bread machine, use the dough setting and add the ingredients in the order listed above. Feel the dough after it's been mixed to make sure it feels smooth and not too dry.

If making by hand, put all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Remove the mixture from the bowl and knead for five minutes or until the dough is tender and smooth. It makes a lovely dough.

When the dough is ready, roll it out with a rolling pin and cut it into the shapes you like. Here I've used hearts, stars and a loaf shape. The loaf shape being the easiest. I can break the loaves up into pieces by making a knife cut into half the loaf thickness. Don't cut right through.

Place on a greased or paper lined baking sheet and allow to rise slightly for about 30 minutes. Bake in a slow oven at 170º C (325 º F) one hour. When all are baked, turn off oven and leave them in the oven overnight to cool. Then store in a container or the freezer.

Cats need more fat in their food than dogs. If you're making the biscuits for your cat, add ½ cup of vegetable oil to the mix. If you're making homemade cat food, use a large tin of tuna in oil with cooked and mashed vegetales, plus some rice. Like us, dogs and cats need protein, but it doesn't have to be animal protein. It can be the protein contained in brown rice, lentils or vegetables. So combining the tin of tuna in oil with mashed vegies and bulking that out with brown rice will be nutrious but you have have to work on it a bit until you have something your cat really enjoys.

(unquote)

I haven't had time yet to try it out, but certainly will. In the past when I lived in a country where no commercial pet food was sold, I used to make a mix of cooked rice, browned mince and a little veg for my cat. She didn't want to eat it at first, but started to like it when I mixed in some gravy made with gravy granules!
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • windowshopper100windowshopper100 Forumite
    759 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Our remaining cat is 16 1/2 now and I think the normal 'adult' cat food is probably a bit rich for her now (she's diabetic). Luckily she likes the dried stuff but she needs to drink more with it and that worries me as I think her diabetes isn't under control if I see her at the water bowl (or with her head down the toilet) too often.

That said, she turns her nose up at some left over chicken or fish, even if I cook a bit specially - she prefers the tinned stuff. But the 'older' cat food is really expensive. Also I've noticed in T's and Sains that the tinned cat food fixture is getting v. small - they obviously want us to buy sachets which are just extortionate.

Also I noticed yesterday that the large bag of T's Premium biscuits is cheaper per 100g than the Value Red n Blue stuff - that doesn't sound right does it.

Maybe I'll start mixing sachets with a few bix to make them last longer.

Sorry, none of this is helping the OP is it. All I can think of for homemade elderly cat food is to poach or microwave some chicken or white fish. The bags of frozen non-specified white fish fillets in T's might be quite cost effective. As I say, I would try it but mine prefers convenience food.

WS

PS - Hi Champys - I got a slow cooker in the end - love it.
  • culpepperculpepper Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    thankyou:)
    We have just switched from the dry as his coat was looking really dull and his skin had dried out ,we were told try the wet food instead. I havent looked at cooking him fish though,thats a good idea.
    Thankyou for the homemade biscuit recipe too. Im a bit worried about trying anything else that is dry as he hardly ever drinks anything unless it has stood outside for days on end(puddles) and he refuses dried food with water to make it into wet food.
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya :)

We have a board dedicated to Pet Care and Moneysaving and there are a number of good threads on home made pet foods that you'll find useful - so I'll move your post across.

Good luck :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • windowshopper100windowshopper100 Forumite
    759 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quickie then that I forgot earlier.....

I heard a tip of just wiping the food bowl round with some oil so he inadvertently licks it could help. They're only small so they don't need much.

Really like Champys last para re cat food. I might try some tinned fish again, trouble is, they like it when it's on your plate but not so bothered when it's in their bowl....

Aren't we silly about them.
    WS
This discussion has been closed.