New Post Advanced Search

homemade pet food?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pets & Pet Care
29 replies 6K views
blue-katblue-kat Forumite
453 posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pets & Pet Care
:question: any tips on making HM dog food for smallish dog with gippy tummy? we usually feed the dog on tesco tins + mixer/or complete dry food, twice a day. Plus whatever cat dinners she polishes off when we're not looking.

Our Maxie (small poddle-lab x) is not ill as such but clearly digestion is out of wack. Lots of cleaning up required every morning if you catch my drift. _pale_

I've cooked her rice + chopped carrots, to go with some boiled Netto chicken. does that sound about right?

TIA

Replies

• squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a thread on dogs which includes recipes and recipe sites...

To see it Click Here

There are tips on cleaning up behind pets (and kids) in the Cleaning section and the Pets section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of the Old Style forum listing.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Alison_BAlison_B Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have a small dog and we buy ASDA Smart Price minced beef. It is just under 70p per packet and we get 3 meals out of that. We mix it with rice and it is the only thing she will eat. We also get the minced turkey.
  • blue-katblue-kat Forumite
    453 posts
    ✭✭
    thanks for helpful replies. :)
    long trawl through the previous thread to find the recipes!
    will dig through indexed tips on carpet cleaning info next.

will def. try the minced beef/poultry, as don't fancy have to debone dog dinners ;)

also going to experiment with filling her KONG.
    might be another use for the Value instant mash, which currently only use in bread machine.
  • Lyndsay_21Lyndsay_21 Forumite
    816 posts
    ✭✭✭
    hehehe just looked at that kong site it is sooo wierd what u can actually put in them, i wonder who came up with the ideas
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • se999se999 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    the idea of the Kong's is to keep the dogs amused playing to get their food I think.

When I had small dogs, we always had problems if they ate anything with liver in it! Lots of dog foods had liver in it, but it may be worth trying to avoid it. I know liver is full of healthy dogy vitamins, but constant upset stomachs isn't healthy anyway!!

You might have to change the cat food too!! :D
  • GrumpysallyGrumpysally Forumite
    728 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    The more I look into this the more confused I get. Have just 'googled' homemade dogfood http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Home+made+dog+food&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

and come up with lots and lots of conflicting information.

The mind boggled. I think I'll stick to Winalot chunks in jelly as that seems to be the only stuff that doesn't give him the runs. Give him cheaper stuff or stuff in gravy,and I seem to spend more money on cleaning products!!
    Also considering gradually weaning him off tins and onto complete dry food. At the moment he has a mixture of both.
    'him' is a border collie / german sheperd cross (as far as we can tell)
  • AgutkaAgutka Forumite
    2.4K posts
    AlisonW wrote:
    Also considering gradually weaning him off tins and onto complete dry food. At the moment he has a mixture of both.
    'him' is a border collie / german sheperd cross (as far as we can tell)

Oooh, I have one of those! She's jet black and larger than any collie or female alsatian!
    And podgy apparently, so she's been on Iams Light for months (I dread to think what's in that, and she knows it - if there's anything else going she won't touch her dog food). She just gets dry biscuits, softened with warm water (the stench!). She only gets an upset tummy when she eats chicken bones, but then she self-medicates by chewing grass. Weirdo. Sounds like I'm lucky there.
    My grandad used to check with the butcher for cheap/free meat/bone cast offs and cook up a giant pan with buckwheat or other porridge. His dogs thrived on it. I'm lucky if I cook for the humans, so Iams it is.
    :wall:
  • MrsTinksMrsTinks Forumite
    15.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is a GSD/Collie mix too :) And NUTS! lol

as she chews anything in sight she occasionally gets the runs but it's usually not her dog food that does it ;)

Anyway what I feed is Pets at home own brand dried food (I get the "Light" and stock up when on 3 for 2 or similar offer) She gets 100 gr twice a day and some of our leftovers. Any veg, pasta or spud left overs are mixed in and sunday monrning when I do scrambled eggs I do a small batch of 2 eggs for her without milk and butter just plain scrambled eggs.
    If she's eaten anything "naughty" then she is on rice with veg (I'll chuck in an extra handfull when cooking ours) or sometimes sardines (1/2 tin just to flavour it really).

And so far she's doing great :) She's never out of energy and her main cost is treats (she gets Pets at home bones and sometimes fresh bones from the butcher (always supervised!) and pigs ears from the market) and some REALLY small sausage pieces when training...
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • beachbethbeachbeth Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you decide to do, you must make the change very gradually. Introducing new foods will just upset the stomach even more. Swopping and changing foods equals diarrhoea!
  • bulchybulchy Forumite
    955 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, my dogs are fed raw meat,veg and bones, (BARF diet) one of my dogs was terrible for getting the runs, but has never looked back since I changed his diet.
    If you want to stick to tinned dog food, Chappie is a good one, easily digested and low in fat, its cheap but actually recommended by some vets. A friend of mine had a dog that was always getting the squits and this is what her vet recommended.
    Sue
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support