First Direct query

Options

Comments

• eaustin
    eaustin Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am intending to apply for a First Direct Gold card for 0% purchases.

Does anyone know whether this would affect whether I get the £100 if I close my current account with them before the end of 12 months?
  • Timmne
    Timmne Posts: 2,555 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure but I know you need the first account to be able to have a credit card in the first place - this might affect it later when you try to close it....
  • Zork
    Zork Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hello. Update re the £100 incentive from halifax. (I opened an account, paid my money in but didn't set up any transfers.)

Here is an excerpt from an e-mail sent to me by the Ombudsman adjudicator.

" it was confirmed that under the terms and conditions, the switching service had to be used for direct debits and standing orders, however does not clarify in cases where there is nothing to transfer/switch. In light of this, the Halifax are willing to pay the incentive. '

So, never give up.

Rob.
  • tinkerbell84
    tinkerbell84 Posts: 5,323 Forumite
    Options
    eaustin wrote: »
    I am intending to apply for a First Direct Gold card for 0% purchases.

Does anyone know whether this would affect whether I get the £100 if I close my current account with them before the end of 12 months?

If you close your current account with them to get the incentive, you have to close EVERY FD account you have, including credit cards, mortgages and savings accounts.
  • eaustin
    eaustin Posts: 466 Forumite
    Options
    I opened an account back in early March and have been paying my salary in and received the £100 joining incentive no problem.

Has anyone managed to get the second £100 for closing their account?
  • brookerbabyisababy
    Options
    still haven't had the incentive as yet. although I don't want to close my account for the £100.
  • jonnybravo147
    jonnybravo147 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just closed my 1st account. FD transferred the outstanding balance to my nominated a/c but they didn't pay the second £100 (got the 1st £100) even though I mentioned the satisfaction guarantee when I asked them to close it.

I've paid over £1500 salary for 6 months, haven't used FD before, used their Easyswitch to move DDs from another a/c, have no other FD accounts to close and closed the a/c within 12 months. That seems to cover all the current conditions. I didn't have any DD/SO so didn't need them to "help you move your account".

Any ideas?
  • webmasterpolo
    webmasterpolo Posts: 672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    FD were a nightmare when I did this last year.

I managed to get them to agreed to a bacs transfer instead of salary credit and they agreed to manually credit the £100. Which they did (I was surprised). Then 12mths later I called to close the account and claim my second £100 and they refused as the account had acutally been open 2 weeks longer than a year. My mistake I guess, I was working on a different open date than they were. I wrote and tried to get it but they still refused so I've given up.

I would like to know how long after closing the account do you have to wait before you apply as a new customer and get the £200 again?

Anyone know??

-Web
    Sense is not common.
  • jonnybravo147
    Options
    I called FD and the lady said my case was being investigated and I should hear within 28 days. So I'll wait and see what happens.

Web, the offer says "never tried us before" so it doesn't sound like you can.
  • interbear
    interbear Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just opened my new FD account and so far the responsiveness / service levels have been great compared to HBOS. Salary and direct debit switchover all happen this week so I'm hopeful that it all happens with no glitches!

Not sure when to expect the £100 incentive however, I think it's 28 days after paying in £1500.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure