First Direct query

Options

Comments

• Zork
    Zork Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello again.
    Thanks Yorkshireboy re the T & C's for Halifax. I'll still complain though, because when I queried were they were and asked for a copy the operator told me they couldn't send them to me and the offer had ended so they weren't on the website. Also I joined them on the condition of the incentive, so the account shouldn't have been allowed to be opened in the first place.

With First Direct my salary is a Bacs transfer over £1500. I actually requested the transfer out the same day it went in, but I still left nearly £200 in there. I didn't do this to be awkward, I needed to transfer it quickly as I had direct debits set up in a in a building society and needed the cash in there. I would've left it longer if I could,but didn't see any problem with it.

As for abusing the offer. It was they who wrote on their website

'Open a 1st Account and transfer your salary/income of at least £1500 within 3 months and we will add £100 to your account'.

What is interesting is I still have two months to go, so what If I keep my salary in for a month next month?

I'm sure it will all be somewhere in the small print. But perhaps my moaning might help get things put in the large print. ;0)

Rob.
  • koenig
    koenig Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To clarify, does a BACS transfer of £1500 or more from a non FD account count as 'income'? Or does it have to be a salary mandate from a employer?

Thanks
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One will (possibly) be a BACS Direct Credit, and contain the detail "BGC Employer Name". The other will be a "BACS transfer", and won't include a note...unless you apend one like I did last month saying "BGC Employer Name". ;)

I'll find out by the end of next week whether it's worked or not (when the 28 days are up). If it doesn't, then my BACS Direct Credit salary payment lands next week so the £100 will be paid 28 days from then.
    Well, they paid out on a BACS transfer of >£1,500 and before my 'official' BACS Direct Credit salary payment hit the account in February.

However, I've had to fight for it...

Firstly, they refused saying 28 working days hadn't elapsed. Once I'd referred them to their own T&C's, which state simply "28 days", they conceded they were talking nonsense.

Secondly, they said I hadn't yet 'switched' my banking to them because I hadn't moved any DD's/SO's. I referred them to their own T&C's again, where the switching of salary/income was the only requirement.

Thirdly, and I believe this may be the real reason, they said because I'd moved some money out the same day my 1st credit was made (leaving a close of day balance <£1,500) the £100 incentive payment wasn't automatically triggered.

3 phone calls, and an official complaint, later my £100 was paid.

Since both 'Zork' (above) and myself appear to have been 'caught out' by moving money the same day, I'd suggest people wait at least 24 hours before letting the balance fall below £1,500.
  • Schwade
    Schwade Posts: 307 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm...and First Direct is boasting that they have great customer service even when you follow their own rules??

Doesn't sound too good.
  • munk
    munk Posts: 993 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that heads up YorkshireBoy, sounds like they are watching to see how people use the accounts then. Good work on getting the £100 from them :)
  • david1976
    david1976 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I have just spoken to first direct on the telephone regarding this.

The lady told me that the £1500.00 per month has to come through a BACS payment from a verifiable employer.

She said i could not pay in my salary plus extra to make it up to the £1500.00 although it could come from a number of employers to take it to this total.

She also stated that to get around the monthly fee all i had to do was open a savings account with them.
  • Gymgenius
    Gymgenius Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    Woohoo!
    I've just checked my FD account and I'm £100 richer!

I'm pleasantly surprised, as I've only had one salary payment made into the account - of which I transferred out all but £300 - the very same day.

I've swapped no DDs or SOs.
    Good old FD is all I can say. The big question now, is will I be able to leave them?!
  • Zork
    Zork Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just an update. I had my second wage paid in to 1st Direct on 15th. Most of it went out yesterday. ( I was going to leave it in for a while but mucked up the SO ). I wrote to them asking why I hadn't been updated on my previous query as promised and again pointed out that declining the £100 was contrary to their T & C's. I received a message today saying it had been reviewed and I would get my £100 within 28 days.

Happy days!
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    I've been with FD since 1994 and it would take more than £200 to make me leave them! Totally hassle free and great customer service.

I don't earn enouh to qualify for the free banking based on my salary, but I have a savings account, ISA and mortgage with them so I don't have to pay.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looking forward to starting to bank with them. Posted signed appication form on Saturday, and have already had a welcome email from them. Very sick of A&L and their Brand new customer only offers, and am planning on opening their 8% regular saver, currenly have the 7% one with Halifax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure