PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Obvious tips

Options

Comments

• beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    16011996 wrote:
    i hated trying to get last bit of ketchup out of bottles, shaking it up and down until one of my kids pointed out that stored upsoide down it'd all come to the top. duh.

Lakeland sell sauce bottle holders that will hold the bottles upside down in your cupboard without them falling over.
  • ancasta_2
    ancasta_2 Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    I use baby wipes as make up remover, small stain in clothes remover, laminate floor wipes, , upvc window wipes, all sorts.

i recently bought some huggies ones but im not too keen as if you wipe fabric then leave loads of white threads behind and looks a mess.

Im a BIG fan of boots or johnsons baby wipes and boots almost always have them on BOGOF
  • nightsong
    nightsong Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My washing tip - as I take the clean laundry out of the washing machine, I fold it carefully and leave it in the basket for about an hour. Then when it's put on the line most of the creases have gone. Avoids most of the ironing, which is great because I loathe ironing!
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Clean the loo rim with toilet paper and cleaner/bleach so you can flush the germy paper away.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Squirt Cif (or whatever you use) directly onto the cleaning sponge or cloth, rather than around the bath or basin. Uses loads less, and gets the same result. I realise this is not strictly MSE as most of you don't invest in Cif, but maybe as a beginners tip...;) .

Another one - if you use lip salve, lipstick or solid deodorants, don't chuck them out just because you are down to the base. There is loads left which you can extract with a thumbnail (for the deo) or a lip brush. Lip salves are particularly generous with the amount left in the holder - I rue all the years I wasted the ends before I realised this :(.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have a cat or a dog give them the drained liquid from tinned fish. My cats adore the brine from tuna, and the sunflower oil from mackrel, and have been known to gobble down some tuna tainted tomato juice too.

The juice or syrup from tinned fruit is lovely dribbled onto cereal instead of milk. My absolute fav is to let raw porridge soak in tinned peach syrup overnight, then add sultanas, banana & sunflower seeds for a very flavoursome breakfast. Yum...
  • ummiesbump
    ummiesbump Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    To clean a microwave - place a damp cloth in the microwave and turn on high for 30 secs until steaming, carefully using rubber gloves use the cloth the clean the inside of the microwave. All the dirt will have loosened and be really easy to clean and so you shouldn't need any cleaner!!
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    My 'how stupid of me not to realise this' tip was a gardening one.

I knew that you should cut cabbages and leave a stump, rather than pulling them up and it will send out leaves for a little freebie treat, why didn't I apply the same logic to lettuces? I had to read it here first......
  • Licklelady
    Options
    I had loads of those little bags with draw string tops that come with soap tablets If you cut the drawstring from the top they can be used for tying up loaves of bread, bags in the freezer etc. I would be lost without them.
  • Kylecraiggan
    Options
    When I see lemons reduced or on special offer in the supermarket I buy them and then slice them, wrap them in plastic wrap and then put them into the freezer. That way when someone wants lemon in their drink I have some ready and it didn't cost a fortune. The ends that are too small for in drinks do a great job of freshening up the waste disposal unit as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure