PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have for several years when seen a large steak & kid pie on special offer bought and divided up into four smaller portions and then frozen them individually.A far cheaper way than buying a single one ,as I live alone its a good way to enjoy a meat pie with less pastry as well as the single ones from the supermarket seem to be all pastry and not a lot of filling.If I make my own using a large plate after its cooled down I always slice and freeze individually as well. There is very little that doesn't freeze well and by trial and error you soon find out what does o.k.
    I hate food wasteage of any sort as food ,after heating, is my biggest expence.
  • mumto1_2
    mumto1_2 Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    You can't freeze lettuce.

I wouldn't freeze raw meat + raw veg in the same packet - wrap up the raw meat separately then package with the veg in another bag. That way you dont' get any meat juices in with the veg. Salmonella isn't nice.

It doesn't matter if the sell by date has gone by in the freezer.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    p00 wrote: »
    ........If you dont like the green ones put them on a windowledge and they go red (seen on a diff thread on here).xxp00

Why have I never thought of that one :confused: - of COURSE green peppers are the less-ripe ones :doh:. If I had half a brain, I'd be dangerous :o:o:o!

Thank you p00 :).
  • flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    Options
    I did a search but couldn't find a full answer!

I have a sad wilted half a bunch of celery that I do not want to waste. I will be making celery soup in few weeks so was wondering if I can chop and freeze it ready for soup-making?

TIA

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did a search but couldn't find a full answer!

I have a sad wilted half a bunch of celery that I do not want to waste. I will be making celery soup in few weeks so was wondering if I can chop and freeze it ready for soup-making?

TIA

x

Yes I do it all the time. Use it in soups and casseroles and it's fine.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Celery - yes you can chop & freeze it. Celery seems to get left in our fridge vegetable box for ages as I'm the only one who eats it raw. If it's going a bit limp, scrape a shaving off the bottom stalk to reveal some fresh white stump and soak in cold water for a few hours. This will often give it a new lease of life. Any leaves left on it are also fine for using in soiups, or chopped up fresh and included in a potato salad if you don't have any other herbs handy.
  • flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Celery - yes you can chop & freeze it. Celery seems to get left in our fridge vegetable box for ages as I'm the only one who eats it raw. If it's going a bit limp, scrape a shaving off the bottom stalk to reveal some fresh white stump and soak in cold water for a few hours. This will often give it a new lease of life. Any leaves left on it are also fine for using in soiups, or chopped up fresh and included in a potato salad if you don't have any other herbs handy.

Thanks both

I tried standing it in water but didn't scrape the bottom so it didn't do much! Will try again then chop and freeze.

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • lizzie169
    lizzie169 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there
    I'm new to this posting so if this is in the wrong place forgive me! Can anyone give me any ideas as to what to do with 2 bags of grapes? We wont manage to eat them all before they go off and I don't want to throw them.
    Thanks
    Liz
  • boredjellybean
    Options
    lizzie169 wrote: »
    Hi there
    I'm new to this posting so if this is in the wrong place forgive me! Can anyone give me any ideas as to what to do with 2 bags of grapes? We wont manage to eat them all before they go off and I don't want to throw them.
    Thanks
    Liz

I think you can freeze them & eat as yummy frozen grape sweeties - not sure how long they keep for? what about juicing them? or use with other fruit (or tinned fruit) to make a fruit salad, they are also yummy added to normal salads

hope that helps
    BB
  • lizzie169
    lizzie169 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that BB. Would you also happen to know if I can freeze some choc chip cookies that I made today?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure