PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• lynneee
    lynneee Posts: 877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hi all,
    got some beetroot in the garden that is almost ready for picking. I am going to pickle some of it but I was wondering if I could freeze some too? If so should I boil it first? Or par boil it? Or just freeze it as it is?

thanks in advance :)
    mortgage £800 overpayment 2022. £600/£2400 2023 🙂 savings £1853/£1800 😊
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    FrankieM wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sometimes I save the potato peelings to cook in the deep fat fryer, They come out kinda like crisps.
    Does anyone know if I could freeze them either raw or cooked?

I would think you could freeze them raw then cook when thoroughly defrosted and dried off. I think if you froze them cooked, you would lose the crispness.

Interesting idea - haven't tried that :)
  • Chris25
    Options
    freakyogre wrote: »
    I've just taken 3 pieces of white fish out of the freezer (I only wanted one, but they're completely stuck together). If I cook them (haven't decided how yet) can they be frozen again? I'm not sure I fancy fish 3 days in a row!

yes, they can be frozen again after cooking. - It might be worth keeping some greaseproof paper or paper from breakfast cereals to layer between them (and burgers ;)) when freezing in future.
  • ukmonkey
    ukmonkey Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've boiled and mashed some spuds, put them in bags and frozen them.

How am I best re-heating them, and can i reheat from frozen or must I defrost?
  • Chris25
    Options
    I just re-heat mine in the microwave or mix with an egg yolk and make them into a nest and put in the oven as duchesse potatoes
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I've just picked all my gooseberries. Sadly, only about 400g. Can I just chuck them in the freezer, as I haven't got time to make a pie at the moment?
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    freezing gooseberries - yes, you can put them straight in the freezer. Have been doing this with mine for years and they all turn out fine. I have three bushes and often pick and freeze in batches according to when they all ripen.
  • ukmonkey
    ukmonkey Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ukmonkey wrote: »
    I've boiled and mashed some spuds, put them in bags and frozen them.

How am I best re-heating them, and can i reheat from frozen or must I defrost?

Anyone?? :confused::confused:
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    ukmonkey wrote: »
    Anyone?? :confused::confused:

I think you must have missed the reply from Chris25 "I just re-heat mine in the microwave or mix with an egg yolk and make them into a nest and put in the oven as duchesse potatoes."

That's exactly what I do. I allow them to defrost first, add a knob of butter and then mash/mix after about a minute in microwave and then give them a little longer - depends on how much you using.
  • justme
    justme Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hi does anyone know if you can freeze home made peppermint creams? My soon to be daughter in law wants me to make some for her wedding favours and I don't fancy doing them just before the big day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure