holiday s whilst on jobseekers allowance?

Options

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    woody01 wrote: »
    If claiming a means tested benefit such as JSA allows enough money to go on holiday abroad for 2 weeks, then something is VERY wrong:

Either.
    1. You have savings that you have lied about it
    or
    2. You really do work and are commiting fraud.

...Or someone else has paid for the flights.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • tinktinktinkerbell
    Options
    If claiming a means tested benefit such as JSA allows enough money to go on holiday abroad for 2 weeks, then something is VERY wrong:

Either.
    or

So many people say that JSA isnt enough to live on yet some people can find enough from their JSA to take a 2 week hoilday abroad.

JSA claiming means you are available and looking for work. Sorry but you can't be if you sod off abroad for a fortnight so therefore you should be entitled to sweet FA

or the person lives with parents and has no bills to pay
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Options
    muffendell wrote: »
    yes I am away from home but can still claim. You have to fill in a holoiday form and promise that you are still looking for work at the holiday address and can come back immediately if required. You can't calim if you are going abroad though, only if you stay in the uk
    jamespir wrote: »
    can you not actively seek work whilst abroad or do they not have any jobs out there plus you could use the internet to search for jobs

Couple of (friendly :) ) points:

1. It's the availability that is affected not ASW - you must still be available whilst away, but you can inform them you have no intention of ASW and they can treat you as ASW

2. You must be available for employed earners employment, you're not if you are abroad
  • hunting20
    hunting20 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    ok so i have to sign on tuesday but i have a family funeral to go to on tuesday as well but the thing is its in london i don't know if i would be allowed to go to the funeral since i will be missing my signing on appointment. does anyone have any ideas on what i should/have to do ?
  • Wee_Willy_Harris
    Options
    hunting20 wrote: »
    ok so i have to sign on tuesday but i have a family funeral to go to on tuesday as well but the thing is its in london i don't know if i would be allowed to go to the funeral since i will be missing my signing on appointment. does anyone have any ideas on what i should/have to do ?

Tell your local JSP and they will arrange for you to sign in London.
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    When I was claiming JSA I went abroad twice within one year.

I was completely open and honest with my advisor. I explained my reasons - once was a holiday for a week, the other occassion was for a family emergency (I have family in Germany, and one close member was seriously ill).

On both occassions I explained that I would be available for work at all times. I would check on-line for jobs on a family computer and I would be contactable by phone - and would phone a friend twice whilst I was away as they would be checking local papers for me. In the highly unlikely case that I was offered an intervoew, i was prepared to fly back to England and attend.

On neither occassion was my claim cancelled/suspended.
  • andyandflo
    Options

I was completely open and honest with my advisor. I explained my reasons - once was a holiday for a week, the other occassion was for a family emergency (I have family in Germany, and one close member was seriously ill).

On both occassions I explained that I would be available for work at all times. I would check on-line for jobs on a family computer and I would be contactable by phone - and would phone a friend twice whilst I was away as they would be checking local papers for me. In the highly unlikely case that I was offered an intervoew, i was prepared to fly back to England and attend.

That is what you call using your intelligence, playing by the rules, totally legal, but as I have said many times before - finding a way round the system. Note to others in a similar position, the rules are not just black and white, there is an awful lot of grey in between.

Good on you!
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options

Either.
    or

So many people say that JSA isnt enough to live on yet some people can find enough from their JSA to take a 2 week hoilday abroad.

JSA claiming means you are available and looking for work. Sorry but you can't be if you sod off abroad for a fortnight so therefore you should be entitled to sweet FA

it means nothing of the sort. It means you have a friend or family that have offered to pay for you.
    :footie:
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Options

They got it wrong.
  • jan64_2
    Options
    Hi all, i have never been on holiday so when a friend paid for me to go to spain, how could i say no? i am on JSA, whilst away the job centre phoned me (something that they have NEVER done) i didnt actually know that i couldnt go abroad whilst on JSA, whilst over there i did still look for work through the internet, i went to sign on today and was told that i was been investigated for fraud and they would be in touch with me soon. what do i say? i am 44 years old, have never been on holiday anywhere, surely people on benifits are allowed to holiday? same as everyone else, how ever its paid for? i have a part time job (15 hrs a week) and whilst away i was still looking for work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure