holiday s whilst on jobseekers allowance?

Options

Comments

• dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Options
    beckiepepp wrote: »
    Hi. I need some clarifcation for a friend of mine. He has been on JSA for a while and has missed signing on a couple of times in the last year due to sickness. He has just returned from a family funded holiday and claims he has been told he has missed signing on 3 times in a year so his claim has been cancelled and he cant reclaim for 13 weeks. Is this correct as is sounds like total rubbish to me! As far as I know he didnt sign off before going away (naughty I know) and he accepts that he wont receive the JSA for the 2 weeks he was away but he should surely be able to resign on immediately??? Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks
    gordikin wrote: »
    As I understand it sanctions can be anywhere between 1 week and 26 weeks.

You don't sanctioned for failing to attend, it's an entitlement question so it would be a disallowance.

Your friend can, and should, reclaim immediately.
  • PaulDG
    PaulDG Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bobl wrote: »
    This has to be a Troll - how could anyone expect the taxpayer to fund them whilst on Holiday and not actively seeking work (in any circuumstances!)

He's not expecting the taxpayer to pay, he's hoping the Job Centre will continue to sign his ABI1 forms so that his insurance company will continue to pay his mortgage.

I understand where he's coming from as he's probably paid this insurance for a long time and feels he should get something for it.

But he's out of luck.
  • PaulDG
    PaulDG Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    woody01 wrote: »
    If claiming a means tested benefit such as JSA allows enough money to go on holiday abroad for 2 weeks, then something is VERY wrong:

Not all JSA is means tested. There's contribution based JSA too.
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    it penalises a partner if you cant go away!
    You may have a partner who needs a break what are they supposed to do holiday alone!:cool:

All these rules its actually penalising your partner as well.
    :footie:
  • ladyridercymru
    Options
    If you are in receipt of JSA, you are entitled to14 days holiday a year in the UK including Northern Ireland.
    However, if you go abroad, even for one day (eg duty free trip to Calaise) you must close your claim down the day before you are due to leave.
    You can re-open your claim the day after you have returned using the rapid renewal scheme.

The reason is quite simple: You are not available for work when you are abroad even though you can be actively seeking via the internet.
    In receipt of JSA means you must be actively seeking and available for work. So if the Jobcentre finds a suitable job for you and calls you, you must be expected to attend an interview if it meets your Jobseekers Agreement.

This applies if you are on pension credit, or Contributions only.
  • katiejones
    katiejones Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    Is the ES674 form still the correct one to use with relation to one week holiday in UK?

Thankyou in advance
    Wins in 2013 - Jan - Heinz No Noise Ketchup.
  • dookar
    Options
    If you are in receipt of JSA, you are entitled to14 days holiday a year in the UK including Northern Ireland.
    However, if you go abroad, even for one day (eg duty free trip to Calaise) you must close your claim down the day before you are due to leave.
    You can re-open your claim the day after you have returned using the rapid renewal scheme.

The reason is quite simple: You are not available for work when you are abroad even though you can be actively seeking via the internet.
    In receipt of JSA means you must be actively seeking and available for work. So if the Jobcentre finds a suitable job for you and calls you, you must be expected to attend an interview if it meets your Jobseekers Agreement.

This applies if you are on pension credit, or Contributions only.

:D Seriously somebody signed up just to post this nonsense?
  • dookar
    Options
    katiejones wrote: »
    Is the ES674 form still the correct one to use with relation to one week holiday in UK?

Thankyou in advance

I'm a little out of touch but, yes, I believe so
  • muffendell
    Options
    Mango wrote: »
    Really Realist? I was told by the jobcentre that I could not claim JSA while on holiday as during that time I could not be actively seeking work. :confused:
    yes I am away from home but can still claim. You have to fill in a holoiday form and promise that you are still looking for work at the holiday address and can come back immediately if required. You can't calim if you are going abroad though, only if you stay in the uk
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    can you not actively seek work whilst abroad or do they not have any jobs out there plus you could use the internet to search for jobs
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure