holiday s whilst on jobseekers allowance?

Options

Comments

• GraemeB
    GraemeB Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    But surely if you fail to satisfy the conditions of reg 50 your underlying entitlement to benefit would cease? In that case reg 19 would be immaterial!
  • manunitedmonkey
    Options
    hi

i am on jsa and i have visited my mates already scince i have been on jsa but they have asked if i want to come to there wedding are you allowed to go away more than once if your still in the uk, if not do you sighn off then go away then sign back on again after ??? i really need to know thanks
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    manunitedmonkey,

Welcome to MSE! This thread is very old, and it tends to cause confusion when they are reopened. You will get the best advice if you start a new thread.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Options
    The Jobseekers Allowance Regulations 1996 disagree:

Circumstances in which a person is to be treated as actively seeking employment
    19.—(1) A person shall be treated as actively seeking employment in the following circumstances, subject to paragraph (2) and to any maximum period specified in this paragraph

(p) in any week in respect of which he has given notice to an employment officer, in writing if so required by the employment officer, that—
    (i) he does not intend to be actively seeking employment, but
    (ii) he does intend to reside at a place other than his usual place of residence for at least one day;

That is the specific clause which allows holiday, and DOES NOT specify that the holiday may not be abroad. Clearly residing abroad meets the definitions of residing "at a place other than his usual place of residence "

Yes, it will be a fight, but yes, I am aware of cases where people have had holidays abroad, been consdiered to be actively seeking for the purpose of section 19(p), and retained right to benefit.

The Jobcentre will do anything to get you to sign off, including Lying to you. I know, I used to do so for a living.

I haven't got beyond this post, yet, apologies if what I say is covered already. The regs you quote relate to ASE, it is for lack of availability that the claim would be stopped.
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Options
    hi

i am on jsa and i have visited my mates already scince i have been on jsa but they have asked if i want to come to there wedding are you allowed to go away more than once if your still in the uk, if not do you sighn off then go away then sign back on again after ??? i really need to know thanks

You'll be fine providing you are ASE and available.

And I just realised the date of the post to which I've just replied :o
  • junenoreen
    Options
    I made the mistake of telling someone I was going to Dublin for a few days. I made a rapid reclaim,and am signing on, but I@ ve had no JSA for 5 weeks now,plus they cancelled it for the week before I went for some reason, I can't get any answers from anyone, and I need an AB1 form for insurance claim,which I can't have. My advice is , don't tell them you're going away or say it's Belfast if you're going to Ireland!
  • Cozworth806
    Cozworth806 Posts: 530 Forumite
    Options
    junenoreen wrote: »
    I made the mistake of telling someone I was going to Dublin for a few days. I made a rapid reclaim,and am signing on, but I@ ve had no JSA for 5 weeks now,plus they cancelled it for the week before I went for some reason, I can't get any answers from anyone, and I need an AB1 form for insurance claim,which I can't have. My advice is , don't tell them you're going away or say it's Belfast if you're going to Ireland!

Which would be fraud if that is not the case.

In fact I am sure that for some reason short times in Southern Ireland could be classed as acceptable for JSA regs, and although I am not sure where I read them recently I am only in training so these things are still new to me.
    May be worth querying it or appealing the decision?
    Nothing to see here :beer:
  • SB18
    SB18 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I havent been abroad for 10 years, and planning to take one for 4weeks. Will I be asked how I got the money? Cant I tell them the truth and that I saved up?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    SB18 wrote: »
    I havent been abroad for 10 years, and planning to take one for 4weeks. Will I be asked how I got the money? Cant I tell them the truth and that I saved up?

They will not be concerned about how you got the money but will need to know if you have savings of over £6000 and you are claiming means tested benefits.
  • FforFreddie
    Options
    Hi there, apologies for bumping this thread but I'm soon to be made redundant and have a relevant question.

I want to use part of the payout to spend something between 6-8 weeks traveling in South East Asia. My job was fairly high-paying, so I would not expect to find suitable work in the coming months (I plan to travel at the end of September) but when I do go away can I legitimately still claim JSA and therefore claim my mortgage payment insurance, or should I budget for having to sign off and pay those weeks out of my own pocket?

Many thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport