holiday s whilst on jobseekers allowance?

Options

Comments

• cassieB57
    cassieB57 Posts: 506 Forumite
    Options
    How do you get them to lock it then?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    cassieB57 wrote: »
    How do you get them to lock it then?

They don't lock any threads unless they get abusive/ off topic (there's an idea!). Other forums do, TripAdvisor springs to mind, keeps things much tidier. ;)
    Gone ... or have I?
  • diable
    diable Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    For some, it certainly seems that way.
    Too right after 30 years of paying Tax and NI I took an 11 month vacation from work which included a job interview in Egypt and Florence as well as Gdansk. Let me down as I wanted to claim travel expenses........
  • flight747
    flight747 Posts: 510 Forumite
    Options
    Reg 19(1)(p) of the JSA Regs does allow for a claimant to be away from home (on holiday) for up to 14 days, on the basis that they allowed to be treated as actively seeking work, although they must still be available for work. However, JSA entitlement is still normally dependent on the claimant being in GB (sec 1(2)(i) Jobseekers Act 1995). Regulation 50 of the Jobseeker’s Allowance Regs does allow for some exceptions to this for varying numbers of weeks where someone is “temporally absent from GB. These are also summarised on page 639 of the current CPAG Handbook, but none of the exceptions are as "straightforward" as a claimant being on holiday.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    flight747 wrote: »
    Reg 19(1)(p) of the JSA Regs does allow for a claimant to be away from home (on holiday) for up to 14 days, on the basis that they allowed to be treated as actively seeking work, although they must still be available for work. However, JSA entitlement is still normally dependent on the claimant being in GB (sec 1(2)(i) Jobseekers Act 1995). Regulation 50 of the Jobseeker’s Allowance Regs does allow for some exceptions to this for varying numbers of weeks where someone is “temporally absent from GB. These are also summarised on page 639 of the current CPAG Handbook, but none of the exceptions are as "straightforward" as a claimant being on holiday.

Now I know you haven't written that yourself as it makes sense! :rotfl:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • ekkygirl
    ekkygirl Posts: 514 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2011 at 12:15PM
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Could I suggest that anybody needing help on holidays whilst claiming benefits starts a new thread? This one is very jumbled!
    Some of it goes back to 2005 lol
  • cassieB57
    Options
    flight747 wrote: »
    Reg 19(1)(p) of the JSA Regs does allow for a claimant to be away from home (on holiday) for up to 14 days, on the basis that they allowed to be treated as actively seeking work, although they must still be available for work. However, JSA entitlement is still normally dependent on the claimant being in GB (sec 1(2)(i) Jobseekers Act 1995). Regulation 50 of the Jobseekers Allowance Regs does allow for some exceptions to this for varying numbers of weeks where someone is temporally absent from GB. These are also summarised on page 639 of the current CPAG Handbook, but none of the exceptions are as "straightforward" as a claimant being on holiday.

Actually JSA regs set no limit on the number of times the claimant can go away from home for whatever reason- 'holidays' are not specified. What it allows is that they can only be 'treated as' looking for work for a maximum of two BENEFIT WEEKS (not calendar weeks) a year. As long as they are ACTUALLY seeking work they can go away as often as they like, and get JSA if they are also available. I wish people would read these things properly before giving misleading 'advice'!
  • savvygranny
    Options
    Actually JSA regs set no limit on the number of times the claimant can go away from home for whatever reason- 'holidays' are not specified. What it allows is that they can only be 'treated as' looking for work for a maximum of two BENEFIT WEEKS (not calendar weeks) a year. As long as they are ACTUALLY seeking work they can go away as often as they like, and get JSA if they are also available. I wish people would read these things properly before giving misleading 'advice'! 22-03-2011 11:15 AMActually JSA regs set no limit on the number of times the claimant can go away from home for whatever reason- 'holidays' are not specified. What it allows is that they can only be 'treated as' looking for work for a maximum of two BENEFIT WEEKS (not calendar weeks) a year. As long as they are ACTUALLY seeking work they can go away as often as they like, and get JSA if they are also available. I wish people would read these things properly before giving misleading 'advice'! 22-03-2011 11:15 AM
    Please can someone clarify for me please, not processing this too well.
    Does this mean that if a JSA claimant goes away from home in GB for one or more nights and informs the Job Centre by completing the appropriate form in advance of this expressing that they are willing and able to return to take up a job, and that they will follow the terms of their Job Seekers agreement whilst away then they can have 'unlimited' periods of time away from home and receive any JSA or NI credits due? Or is this scenario deducted from the 14 day entitlement?

Thanks ...
  • cassieB57
    Options
    Spot on. There is no limit if you are still looking for work. If you want to be excused from jobseeking it's max 2 benefit weeks a year.
  • savvygranny
    Options
    Thanks for your clarification cassieB57.

I had a recent night away visiting family and completed form to this effect. I am looking to take grandchildren away for a few nights but this may be a lot further away from home this time - would the Job Centre advise if they feel it would be too far away to come back for a job at the time of form completion - or is it up to me to say because of the travel involved could I take this time from my two weeks 'entitlement' without losing any JSA. My contribution based JSA ends shortly but trying to remain hopeful for a job opportunity - if I continue signing for credits only after my payments end do the same rules also apply regarding GB breaks.

Thanks in anticipation...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport