PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I use soya mince?

Options

Comments

• catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You're right a little goes a long long way, it is fab stuff! I use it in anything spicy, bolognaise, curry, chilli and if making a shepherds pie, I just add a bit of curry powder or chilli powder to the mince. It helps if when you rehydrate it you put in a dash of lee and perrins.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • QuidsInn_2
    Options
    I found some this week and used it for the first time. I would recommend adding quite a bit of flavouring as it is very bland otherwise - lots of lea & perrins, beef stock cube, chille etc. It does make up to about 4 times its size, so be careful - I made MOUNTAINS by accident and now have a lasagne and a shepherds pie in the freezer out of the extra!!!
  • needaspirin
    Options
    What to do with...... Dried Soya Mince

The same as with Quorn and Ryvita. Give it to the dog! Some things are no substitute for real food.
    I really have tried it ...Honest:o
  • Maxjessdru
    Options
    I find the best way to use it is to rehydrate with beef stock and then mix 50/50 with real minced beef. You can then use it in the same way as normal mince (I have made shepherds pie, chili, spaghetti bolognese, meatballs, etc). It stretches the real meat, and I have found I can make 3 meals with 1/2 lb mince + equal of soya mince which is obviously much cheaper than with normal mince. The best bit is that OH (confirmed carnivore!) has never noticed. Only thing I would say if rehydrating with stock cube, do not add any extra salt to your dish.
  • johnjp
    johnjp Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    I use it to replace mince, as I am a veggie. If you add some gravy sauce near the end of cooking, 3-4 tbspns mixed with a little milk so it`s creamy, it thickens and adds flavour.
    There is NOTHING wrong with this stuff, it`s SUPER cheap and nutritious.
  • sarahlouise210
    Options
    What to do with...... Dried Soya Mince

The same as with Quorn and Ryvita. Give it to the dog! Some things are no substitute for real food.
    I really have tried it ...Honest:o

I am not a vegeterian...but we use Quorn mince for everything that needs mince these days. It is more healthy..never has gristle...cooks in 1/4 of the time and the whole family love it! (only REALLY like the quorn mince though..the rest of the range is not as good)
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • JillD_2
    JillD_2 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Sarah Louise,
    I used the exact same stuff from Sainsburys in the week to make a spag bol.
    I used about half a lacket and it made 5 big portions (it was guesswork cos they didn't really say on the pack what would be considered 1 serving).
    So if half a bag was 5 big portions I suppose a bag is 10 portions.

I fried up 2 onions, 3 carrots, 2 peppers, some mushrooms and some tomatoes that were on the turn. Once they were all softened I added 2 tins tomatoes and about a pint of veg stock and then chucked in the mince.
    Also added salt and pepper and lots of dried herbs.
    And some tomato puree.

Some garlic would also have been good but we didnt have any.

It was really nice. We're having it again next week out of the freezer!
    I tasted it before adding the herbs and seasoning and it was very bland.
    HTH
    Jill
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

• carrielgreen
    Options
    Well i tried it last night - and yeah - v. bland.

I used half the packet about 100g and it hydrated to 365g. I've made a bolognaise type sauce with added chilli. OH is having it for his tea tonight and i've freezed two big portions, probably enough for two meals for both of us, with added veg & rice/pasta.

I think i will use Maxjessdru's suggestion the next time i use it and mix it 50/50 with beef mince.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
  • suzy_g
    suzy_g Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought some soya mince the other day from holland and barretts,
    I thought I would make some shephards pies, some for the freezer,
    now I expect I will have to use lot of flavourings.I was wondering if anyone
    has anyone use this mince before, if so what did you do to make it taste nice.:confused:
    suzy
  • tryhard_2
    tryhard_2 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    have used it in curries - tasted nice
    TH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income