Cut Your Car Insurance In 4 Steps Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• saabstar
    saabstar Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I would like to take out insurance for me (aged 50 no convictions, max ncb etc), my husband (aged 46 no convictions, max ncb etc) and my son (aged 17 just passed his test). Car is only a 1994 Ford Fiesta!

Have been told that it will work out cheaper if I insure husband and me first and then add my son later. However have concerns that I will be whacked for a large sum of money when I add my son.

Is this legal/correct? Any comments/input appreciated.

What is the best way to go about this so that it is all legal and above board?

Using Martin's advice I am being quoted in the region of £500 pa for all 3 of us but with an additional excess payable for my son of c£300!

Please advise if you can. Many thanks!:confused:
  • mini_mad_dad
    mini_mad_dad Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    for a ford feista, try here http://www.fiestaclubgb.co.uk/
    join, usualy free, (minis is 15 quid a year) look at links then contact the insurance companys in links mention website and fiesta club and discount a discount is then aplied. also great way to source cheap parts and make new friends.

my mini which is quite well tuned and heavily modified is 141 quid a year thru a mini club. i have an agreed valuation for 2500 if anything happens. and full perks as im fully comp.:rotfl:
  • ksh123
    ksh123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My car insurance is due in 40 hours from now (tick tick). Previously I have always insured online and used Martin's tips and been pleased with the results.
    This year I've c***ed up big time. Because of money troubles I can't use either a debit or credit card to buy my insurance. I have borrowed the money from the DSS. Got the cash today thinking I could pay it into my bank and pay my cheque. Of course I hadn't allowed for the fact that you have to sign your quote and cheques have to clear!
    So now I seem to be in a right mess. I only borrowed enough to cover the usual cost of my insurance online. But now given the time pressure the only thing I can think of doing is going to a High Street broker and signing there and then and paying in cash. But I am afraid that this will cost me more and I won't have enough money - aaarrrgh
    The only other thing I can think of doing is being a bit naughtly, saying I can pay by DD (which I can't) then sending a cheque saying I've changed my mind about the DD.
    Can anyone think of an easier/better way?
    Stop looking for answers....
    The most you can hope for are clues.....:)
  • Connor_G
    Connor_G Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Being new to these forums, it is this here thread that has caught my attention immediately. Currently seeking out personal car insurance, I must say I have indeed got the irrits! After much research, online quotes, phone quotes, etc, I have narrowed it down between Tesco and Churchill. The online quotes I worked out for them were agreeable. So calling them to discuss a few questions I had, I was rather shocked to find that Tesco's phone quote was £400 more expensive than what I had worked out online! :eek: The phone operator could not work out how I got it calculated so cheap online as she could not get it to come in any cheaper over the phone, even applying the online discount. So, now I've made sure I've saved my online quote so I can call back and quote the reference and get it at the WAY CHEAPER online rate. Just shows that it pays to check out all avenues... :beer:
  • metro_gnome
    metro_gnome Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    saabstar wrote:
    I would like to take out insurance for me (aged 50 no convictions, max ncb etc), my husband (aged 46 no convictions, max ncb etc) and my son (aged 17 just passed his test). Car is only a 1994 Ford Fiesta!

Using Martin's advice I am being quoted in the region of £500 pa for all 3 of us but with an additional excess payable for my son of c£300!

Please advise if you can. Many thanks!:confused:

I reckon you're doing well - we've been paying over £700 for teenage drivers on a 1994 Astra. I'm now trying to find a good quote for my son to take over the Astra as we have just added another car to the household (he's become the main driver of the car anyway so it makes sense to start his no-claims) Most companies are in the region of £1500-2000!! He has 3 points, and my daughter has to be able to drive the car when home from uni. The best by miles is Admiral (found through confused.com) who offer £750ish for 10 months, then he can have a full years no-claims at renewal. I think I've tried every search engine but if anyone thinks there is a better prospect around I'd love to know.
  • harriet123k
    Options
    One thing to be aware of is what your quotes actually include.
    Swiftcover did quote me £80 less than Tesco (my current insurer) but once I added on all the bits that I have with Tesco (courtesy car, protected NCD etc) it came out a few quid more expensive....so be aware and be careful...(would be my tip!)
  • smugdogg
    Options
    I am a first time driver- provisional!

Used confused.com, but it missed out some of the main insurers; Tesco, etc.

The main competitors for my insurance were Direct line & Tesco.

They both had there merits. Tesco offered me two years no claim bonus after one. It also work out cheap but I was in luck with direct line--->

Direct line offered 10% for booking online (like tesco's); but it also gave another 10% if some one in your house is also with direct line!

SAVING 20% - - On one of the cheapest around anyway!

I had two extra named drivers on the policy, it just so happens both are with direct line, but only one lives in my house hold, so it I saved 20%!

They dont lose out either. After my first year no claims, they also recieve 1 year no claims each!

My policy is not linked with there's in any way.

Call them on the phone to get an indepth quote, then fill your details online. Couldn't be simpler

SAVE yourself 20%
  • Channelman
    Channelman Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    I had a renewal notice from Churchill of £241.
    Tried 'Confused' and the other two THEN I thought...I'll try Churchill
    and lo and behold.....using exactly the same conditions as my renewal
    quote they offered it for just under £200.
    Looks like a case of "New Customers Only" as Mark Benton says in
    the Nationwide Ads :rolleyes:
  • Gazza_2-2
    Options
    Time to renew my insurance with NU Direct. We have 2 cars, one (Xantia 1.8) with my daughter on who has just passed her test.

Renewal quote of £572.

Used confused.com and got from £748 upwards. Insuresupermarket gave me from £475 upwards with best bet looking like Barclays at £495. Does anyone have any info. to say that Barclays are good to have insurance with - claims sorting etc.?
    Next stage is to go back to NU and see if they will drop but I suspect £80 may be a lot to expect.
  • silps
    silps Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    I think Martin's article on Cutting the Cost of Car Insurance is too generalised. We need more information about the ins and outs of car insurance, especially some insider knowledge.

A few of questions I have is:

When filling in the quote form I am asked the value of the car. I can only give an estimate because I am not a car dealer. Now this makes me wonder that if the car is written off do they only pay me upto what I think the car is worth? Logic would say they have to pay the market value so why do they ask me what the car is worth?

Proof of no claims bonus seem to be an issue. I went to my current insurers More Than with 8 years no claims bonus. On their renewal notice they only state I am entitled to maximum no claims. So what happens when my new insurer wants proof of my current 9 years no claims? I called More Than and the Indian call centre guy said they would send proof when the policy lapses - well I have got my fingers crossed.

If you have protected no claims bonus and you still have an own fault accident, you have to tell them of any claims made in the last 5 years. So does this mean that they put up your premium irrespective of your no claims bonus?

I have to fill in my estimated annual mileage. So what happens if by chance I go over this amount and have an accident? Do they refuse my claim?

What happens if my job title changes and I forget to inform them?

There really is no tranparency in the car insurance trade. Somebody really needs to take the industry to task. We need some insider info on how claims are handled and what they look at.

When filling in the forms, we really don't realise how important the info we put in could be until its time to make a claim and they check the info.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure