🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cut Your Car Insurance In 4 Steps Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all,

I can't find the post, but I'm sure I read somewhere that you can still change your car insurer even when your renewal is not up? I renewed mine back in January and want to find a cheaper one now. Does anyone know if its possible to do that please?

thank you
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spirit

You can, but you have to cancel your existing insurance and take out a new one. You may get charged a cancellation charge as well, check the small print of your existing insurance.
    If you're in the process of building up your no claims bonus then I don't know how the system works, I presume you'd lose the part year.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • Carine_2
    Options
    Morning,

I tried confused.com which offered me quotes ranging from £416.97 to £592.82 which, once you've selected the insurer and added the breakdown cover options etc all pretty much equalled my Direct Line renewal quote of approx £490.

I phoned Direct line to try and reduce this figure with no such luck! So as they weren't prepared to offer me any sort of reduction (even though I've been with them 2 years already) I thought I'd keep looking elsewhere...

So I tried https://www.ecarinsurance.com which, in the subtitle even mentions 'Savings up to £250 on your policy' and in my case it really has saved me a lot of money.

My quote was for £245 (3rd party F&F with breakdown cover, glass cover & legal) it seemed to good to be true, but at that price/ saving I thought I'd take the risk and it seems to be ok!
  • claire9875
    claire9875 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Worst thing I ever did was logging on and inputting my details yesterday afternoon.
    I have been plagued with at least 5 calls yesterday and 5 today from insurance companies Insure Supermarket have passed my details to ( Some telesales operatives were harder to get rid of than others!!). I am on night shifts.... how am I supposed to get sleep??!!!!!

Not very impressed at all. How can I use these comparison websites without being harrassed night and day???:mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Stccg
    Stccg Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Renewed my car insuarance today. Originally with DL, partner on Norwich Union Direct. As son as I started talking to NUD, the sales person recommended sticking partner on my insurance. Couldn't believe it knocked £50 off the quote. Tried the same at DL and it upped the quote by 50, and they wouldn't let me have protected no claims. So in the end I switched from DL to NUD with my insurance going down from £480 to £374. I would never in a million years have thought sticking a second driver on a policy would lower the cost.
  • Victors_Bruvver
    Options
    Dear claire9875,
    I have used both companies Insure Supermarket & Confused.Com to search for insurance quotes and at no time have I had anyone calling me back.

Just make sure that you have not let unchecked a little box that states you either want or don't want the information you have provided being used ny either the company you are searching with or "partner" companies.

email them and tell them it is against the Data Protection Act and that they do not have your permission to use, store, electronically or by other means, your details and they are obliged, by the same law, to remove them. Just remind them that there is a whacking big fine if it is reported to the Information Commissioner’s office!

It is infuriating but at the end of the day, both companies are bloody good at finding those money saving insurance deals - well they did for me!
  • swapnilz
    swapnilz Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    hi
    does any one know how car insurance group system works.
    eg when it says CIgroup 12 or 7 or 17 what does it mean.
    is it cheaper to insure car of group 7 or 15
    thanks
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my best renewal quotes are:
    (xs150, protected no claims with legal)
    AA: £376 (plus Quidco cashback £60)

privilege: £330 (£355 with guranteed courtesy car - is this essential?)
    (plus Quidco CB £40)

Budget: with NO xs = £358 (plus Quidco CB £25)

Post Office: no Xs = £384 (plus £50 cashback & Quidco £16.50)

i would use Quidco to buy above. But not sure who is best as i not used any of them before, can anyone pass on any review/experience on who is best from list above?
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    swapnilz wrote:
    hi
    does any one know how car insurance group system works.
    eg when it says CIgroup 12 or 7 or 17 what does it mean.
    is it cheaper to insure car of group 7 or 15
    thanks

The car groupings are basically a rough guide only - insurance companies often have their own rating system which is different to the above but works on the same principle.

The higher the group then the higher the insurance will be (assuming all other aspects are equal). The grouping is made up of aspects such as vehicle performance, safety, security etc.

The scale also tends to be exponential - there is a much bigger difference in premiums between a group 17 and 20 car than a group 3 and 6 though both are only 3 groups difference.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • mybook
    mybook Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    After been qouted between £1950 - £2750 for my sons insurance on a 52 reg corsa (20 years old passed driving test 6 months ago)from both confused.com and insurancesupermarket.

I was thinking no wonder we have young drivers driving with no insurance when they are qouted prices like the above. I received and email from http://www.ecarinsurance.co.uk and would now highly recommend looking at them as i was qouted £650 fully comp.. a massive saving on confused and insurance supermarket prices qouted.

daz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family