PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Oh no! Poor you! I feel your pain. Did you do a tension square first? If you have plenty of yarn and haven't got to the armholes, how about adding panels for the underams, leaving this panel to be the back? Or are you knitting it all-in-one?

its me all over - way too big a rush to both with tension square - mind you reckon its the cable pattern that has pulled it in so much and maybe it will relax a little after pressing .
    Its a large 400g ball of aran so at this rate will probably have enough wool for two wee jackets and I am sure I will find a home somewhere for them.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    That's what I was going to say - add a cable up the sides but you can't if it's knit all in one piece I supose..
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    BOBS wrote: »
    its me all over - way too big a rush to both with tension square - mind you reckon its the cable pattern that has pulled it in so much and maybe it will relax a little after pressing .
    Its a large 400g ball of aran so at this rate will probably have enough wool for two wee jackets and I am sure I will find a home somewhere for them.

I've learned the hard way about tension squares. I knitted a beautiful, vintage cardigan that will (probably) never be worn unless either a) I get down to 7 stone and become a UK size 6, or b) I bite the bullet and undo the side seams to add a wedge under each arm. The pattern claimed to fit a 38 inch bust. In my dreams!

(I like knitting vintage garments, so it's become vital to knit a tension square just so that I can figure out how many stitches to cast on.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • mardatha
    Options
    I like vintage patterns - they are far clearer, easier to follow and have fewer mistakes than new and Ravelry ones.
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hope someone can help me.

I am knitting a bag where the handle is within the body of the bag so I have cast off the relevant stitches and on the following row need to cast on to create the handle. The problem is that I am having a memory blank on how to cast back on the stitches as I've done what I thought I needed to do and it's not looking right.

Help, what do I need to do :rotfl:
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • BOBS
    Options
    Love simple knitting once in a while that doesnt require any thought whatsoever.
    100g ball of flutterby chunky wool and 60 stitches and just knit until enough left to cast off. And hey presto the most cosiest baby blanket ever - suitable for wee car seats. Wonder could I do an adult sized one - its so soft and squishy :)
    Back to proper knitting tomorrow x
  • mardatha
    Options
    Lynseydee I haven't a clue how to explain it on here in words lol, you'd be better with a youtube video :)
  • BOBS
    Options
    lynseydee wrote: »
    I hope someone can help me.

I am knitting a bag where the handle is within the body of the bag so I have cast off the relevant stitches and on the following row need to cast on to create the handle. The problem is that I am having a memory blank on how to cast back on the stitches as I've done what I thought I needed to do and it's not looking right.

Help, what do I need to do :rotfl:

possibly need to turn work opposite direction to way you are working then cast on in usual way and then knit across ... ?

Though in cases like this when you pick up the next day it is usually obvious.
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Lynseydee I haven't a clue how to explain it on here in words lol, you'd be better with a youtube video :)
    BOBS wrote: »
    possibly need to turn work opposite direction to way you are working then cast on in usual way and then knit across ... ?

Though in cases like this when you pick up the next day it is usually obvious.

BOBS, that does make sense now you say it. Although will also look on youtube as mardatha suggests and see if there are any other ways I can do it. The stupid thing is this is the way I do my button holes and can't think how I do those at the moment :rotfl:
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • timehastoldme
    timehastoldme Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 September 2017 at 9:40PM
    Options
    This took two years to finish because I'm slow, and easily bored.

https://i.imgur.com/kNl5Pb2.jpg

This one was to use up odd bits of left over rowan felted tweed

https://i.imgur.com/279cZEY.jpg
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family