PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lynseydee I make lots of mittens in different sizes, use different sized stripes to make patterns and it ends up using even little bits up. Keep them in a bag you have something to give for garden parties, Christmas fairs etc and you can take a bag full to your favourite CS. I take these around the end of September. I even use up the ends from sewing up as I put a thread through a pair and tie them together with contrasting wool.

At the moment I am knitting hats and mittens for Christmas Shoe boxes, https://www.ssj.org.uk/‎

There may be more things you can knit for other charities and hats and matinee coats for premi babies. There are several sites for that or call your local hospital Maternity department. Sites will have patterns and your local hospital may have some.

Small sort toys for Christmas Fairs etc. https://www.jeangreenhowe.com look here for patterns. Some are for free. There are lots of free patterns just right for fundraising. Cheapest way to get stuffing is to buy a cheap polyester pillow and use the stuffing from that.

Thanks for that. I love the idea of knitting for preemies but don't think the yarn I have is soft enough unfortunately.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    There is always a sock on the needles, lurking in my handbag for those quiet moments on the Tube or whenever. I can knit without looking at my hands. If they ever film the really cheap seats at the Proms, I'm the knitter sitting in the gods working on a sock. (I do not knit if the performers can see me.). Apparently, I was filmed knitting at the Women's Cricket World Cup Final.

Hello, my name is Pip and I'm a yarn-aholic.

I was knitting at the Old Trafford test match this year (and last year!). Dh and DS1 always cringe when one of the commentary team mention someone knitting because they're convinced it'll be me but it never is - so there are obviously loads of us. :rotfl::rotfl:
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • charles839
    Options
    Hi, I am using this best pet stroller. It works great and very useful.
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    spam reported
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    Cricket and knitting just go together. I always have socks on the go too, and I miss living in Canterbury for the joy of knitting and watching Kent play!
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't been in for ages but still knitting, hope everyone is well
    I'm currently knitting the first of two boleros for the flower girls at my dd3s forthcoming wedding.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Thought I had my knitting mojo back and knit the back of a cable pattern Aran jacket, meant to measure to fit 22 inch ish. Just measured across back and will be lucky if it hits 18. Havent the heart to rip out as fab cable pattern that i was quite proud of getting right first attempt - might adjust lengths so that it fits a smaller child. Wasnt for anyone in particular to start off with.

Mrs Moneypenny - love wee bolero jackets - are you adding flowers to it ? -have just bookmarked some which I thought may come in handy at some point !! http://www.lovefibres.com/free-patterns.html
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was knitting at the Old Trafford test match this year (and last year!). Dh and DS1 always cringe when one of the commentary team mention someone knitting because they're convinced it'll be me but it never is - so there are obviously loads of us. :rotfl::rotfl:

We have a knitting "Cricket Aunty". I watched the Saturday highlights of the Edgbaston Test and they filmed an elderly lady knitting something in lemon yellow. It looked like a baby's jacket.

My knitting has witnessed all sorts of sporting events: the London Olympics; the Glasgow Commonwealth Games; multiple football matches at Wembley; even the Rugby World Cup (where I lost a needle, dammit!). I don't normally knit at Chelsea home matches, because there isn't sufficient room, but my WIP-sock-du-jour is always present.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    That blouse looks lovely, PipneyJane. :) I knit a cardigan in Blacker's Swan DK and it was lovely, I want to try their Tamar and Lyonesse lines as well.

Thank you.

I love their 4-ply Blue Faced Leicester. It is so soft that you can wear it next to your skin without any prickling. I've knitted two jumpers in it and, stupidly, managed to shrink/felt the second. The first goes through the wool cycle on the washing machine without any issues, using "normal" soap-powder and (usually) a cold wash. For the second, however....

The first time I washed the second, I stupidly used one of these no-rinse wool washes in the washing machine (Euclan). I put a capful in the washer drawer, ran the cycle as usual and it just destroyed the jumper. Not only did it shrink, there was fibre coming off it all over the place. The only variable was the wool wash; the yarn came from the same batch as the first jumper. (I knitted the second to use up leftovers.)

In my defence, I've used a "normal" wool wash in the machine in the past, one that requires rinsing, and had no issues.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• PipneyJane
    Options
    BOBS wrote: »
    Thought I had my knitting mojo back and knit the back of a cable pattern Aran jacket, meant to measure to fit 22 inch ish. Just measured across back and will be lucky if it hits 18. Havent the heart to rip out as fab cable pattern that i was quite proud of getting right first attempt - might adjust lengths so that it fits a smaller child. Wasnt for anyone in particular to start off with.

Oh no! Poor you! I feel your pain. Did you do a tension square first? If you have plenty of yarn and haven't got to the armholes, how about adding panels for the underams, leaving this panel to be the back? Or are you knitting it all-in-one?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback