PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations Thirzah. :) I hope your granddaughter grows quickly and can get out of hospital soon.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ahhhh, a new baby, congratulations grandma Thirzah

Just have 18 rows to do before the shoulder decreases and the back will be finished. Its fine yarn and I just can`t stop, even when my shoulder aches. Trouble is that if I put it down then I slowly forget to pick it up, even if on a trolley next to me. Blimey it will only have taken five days. I am having to put a forward facing fan on me in the evenings at the moment. As soon as I stopped knitting last night, I fell asleep in my chair, doh, that is not what I want. Think I`ll get changed for bed before I start knitting this evening
  • misty6
    misty6 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    Hello knitters - me again :) I hope you don't mind if I pick your brains again.

I'm knitting some bootees and have some instructions that I'm not sure about:

Row 5: P1, P2tog, P4, yf, K1, yrn, P4, P2tog, P1.

My question is, what is the difference between yf and yrn? The magazine says they stand for yarn forward and yarn round needle respectively. I do understand that they make new stitches to compensate for the two P2togs. Just not sure how to do them.

Also while I'm here :) I started off with 39 stitches and it said K27, turn, K15. I just didn't knit the last 12 stitches and turned round and have just been working on the middle 15 stitches back and forth. Is this ok? The other stitches are still on the needles but not being worked - I haven't cast them off because it didn't say to.

I was looking on youtube but have got a bit confused!!

Thank you :)
    Mortgage and debt free :)
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Misty. the difference is just where your yarn is, when you do, yarn on needle it is when your yarn is at the front and you are going to knit and yarn round needles is when your yarn is at the back and you are going to purl. Just do what it says and it will be OK.

Don't worry about the other stitches you will be picking them up again when you have finished the top of the bootie. They are a lot simpler than turning heels on a pair of socks.
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    misty6 wrote: »
    Hello knitters - me again :) I hope you don't mind if I pick your brains again.

I'm knitting some bootees and have some instructions that I'm not sure about:

Row 5: P1, P2tog, P4, yf, K1, yrn, P4, P2tog, P1.

My question is, what is the difference between yf and yrn? The magazine says they stand for yarn forward and yarn round needle respectively. I do understand that they make new stitches to compensate for the two P2togs. Just not sure how to do them.

Also while I'm here :) I started off with 39 stitches and it said K27, turn, K15. I just didn't knit the last 12 stitches and turned round and have just been working on the middle 15 stitches back and forth. Is this ok? The other stitches are still on the needles but not being worked - I haven't cast them off because it didn't say to.

I was looking on youtube but have got a bit confused!!

Thank you :)

Hi Misty

Yarn forward is when you're doing a knit stitch you bring the yarn to the front as if you were going to purl but instead you carry on knitting and this then makes a new stitch. The yarn round needle is where you wind the yarn around the needle whilst purling and carry on with the purl stitch. Hope this makes sense :)
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • misty6
    misty6 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you nursemaggie and lynseydee for your advice. I'm going to have another go at it tomorrow :)
    Mortgage and debt free :)
  • mary_hinge
    mary_hinge Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I have found my knitting Mojo! it seems the knowledge of the hitch hiker growing in side me has spurred me on!

I am currently knitting a newborn cable hooded cardi and hope to make a few items in different sizes over the next few months! My wool stash is looking very sparse, I have been knitting out of my stash since New years day 2016 and it's almost gone :eek: hoping when my ban lifts to buy wool for projects rather then just because I need it :rotfl:

What is everyone else knitting?

Mrs H
    Living in a superhero induced haze :A:A
    "You did good Kidda!" :D
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I'm on a hitchhiker for myself, in ruby coloured silk, and the first of the xmas socks.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oooo goody, the knitting thread is back for autumn

I bought a load of audible books in 2013/14 and have just found them again. I could not be bothered after my husband died, too much to do but maybe now I am pacing myself better. What bliss, I am managing a couple of shortish knitting sessions in the evening and listening to a book being read to me, philomena this time

I know there are spinners out there, can we talk about spinning too? Another all engrossing hobby, I can spin faster than I can knit, so I had to put spinning on hold since last winter. I won`t be re-starting until colder weather but it is worth learning, even if for better sleep patterns, the rhythmn sets the brain into calmness and sleep follows easily

I am still on afterlight 2, the last sleeve, lots of rows but I had to rip that sleeve out as I had forgotten about alterations to sleeve 1 which I need to duplicate. Just a little closer at the sleeve opening but it meant changing increase rows. It is very silky to work on, the yarn slips nicely on the metal circulars

Ahhh Maryb a new hitchiker, how lovely. Small garments are so satisfying

The yarn stash remains huge and the stash of spinning fibre is even bigger, no spends for me for years but lovely to have the stashes and the blends of fibres from world of wool are still in their safe see through close packaging, so I can look and admire and plan
  • timehastoldme
    timehastoldme Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 August 2017 at 8:17AM
    Options
    It's hard to get a decent picture in this dreary weather but cast off this last night:

CrrY2Xl.jpg

Simple cheerful knit with wool that was kicking around, the stripes are Lang Mille colouri baby, lost the band for the green.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ex-boyfriends
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure