PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• lovecrafting
    lovecrafting Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, i have made myself a rule today, for every item i make for my kids, i must make 2 for the tiny babies. I think it will teach my kids alot aswel when we take them to the unit. I used to comment on the tiny clothes when my little one was in neo natal about how lovley they were, I hadnt thought about the amount they must go thru, especially the hats.
  • NannyJanny
    NannyJanny Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    Right , now I've been through all the patterns, I'm flummoxed at the choice. And it's an American site. I've taken on board all the technical bit about colour, type of wool, sizes etc. suitable for littlies. I think now the thing to do is to go to the unit and ask them what they'd actually like in that unit. Plan made.
  • lovecrafting
    Options
    I phoned our unit because they wont actually let you inunless you are a parent. they were really nice and said they dont use mitterns but really are desperate for hats and cardigans, but they siad if i could possibly do it then the stretchy hats are ideal, they dont use the flap ones, i will still make a few of them up tho and send them to the nearest one that does, i suspect that will be manchester sick kids hospital.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    our local neo natal is running low on clothes aparently so i am working on some little sets for a wile. i have plenty of odd balls so can get started right away. does anyone know if theres any colour restrictions on premie clothes?

I don't think there are restrictions as such but there are general tips such as....
    1. the babies skin is not always great in colour (can be blue/purplish) so think how the colour you use might look against the baby's skin.
    2. no size is too small!
    3. acrylic is best (cannot remember the science behind pure wool not being so good!)
    4. caps with openings, easy fastenings etc

Not sure if you are considering burial things too, but they are often also (sadly) needed.

Pop over to the 'knit a square' thread on Old Style board....they knit preemie things and have lots of info on there.

I have knitted quite a few preemie things in the past, though not so much now, makes me sad and happy at the same time knitting them, if that makes sense!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• lovecrafting
    Options
    I made a post in there earlier on, Im not sure about burial things, i guess if there needed then its worth doing.

I just finnished a teeny tiny hat that was in a knitting magasine from about a year, maybee 2 ago and its so small, it dosent even fit on the little ones doll. definatley brings it home that these babies are real people and need the things.x its a bit sad really.
  • psso
    psso Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2011 at 1:42PM
    Options
    Thank you for considering putting your talents to good use for premature babies.

The reason acrylic is preferred over wool is because wool can build up static which could cause a problem with the oxygen being used for the babies.
    Soft baby yarn either in 4 ply or DK can be used for prem items or for angels born asleep.

It is a heart wrenching topic but I do my charity knitting to give thanks for my own 5 healthy children (adults now) and my 6 grandchildren. My twin daughters were in the special nursery for a few weeks when they were born and one of my granddaughters was there for a week. Sadly there were also two `angels`.

It can be a sad task but it helps the poor parents, who are having to deal with their anxiety or grief, if there are suitable clothes for their little ones.

Lots of patterns for charity use.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/stoke/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8674000/8674298.stm

http://www.bonniebabies.co.uk/knitting.htm

http://www.lovinghands.org.uk/patterns.htm

I usually send most of my things to Loving Hands although a fair amount also goes to my local maternity hospital.
    Over on the knit a square thread a lot of stuff also goes to Preemiesuk.

Hats small enough to fit an egg are needed, think Innocent Smoothie size. Also tiny cardigans about 10 -12 " chest size upwards to full term size. If in doubt, give your local baby unit a call and check what they would use. Some use mitts and bootees, others don`t.
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
  • lovecrafting
    Options
    Thanks for the information, I have done one hat that i was convinced was too small but i read the bit about the golf ball and it really isnt, in fact it almost fits my little ones baby anabell so it should be an ok size.

I will have a good look at the links, thanks again.x
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    psso wrote: »
    The reason acrylic is preferred over wool is because wool can build up static which could cause a problem with the oxygen being used for the babies.

Ah yeah, I remember now.....thanks for all that useful info. x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• irishgirl62
    irishgirl62 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you jennyjelly
    I am determined to lose weight!:kisses3:
    Weight loss so far 2 stones 6lbs!! :j:j
  • Georgiegirl2012
    Options
    One of the ladies at my quilting group is collecting knitted hats for the prem baby unit at the hospital where she works. I shall have a rummage through the yarn I've got to see if I have anything suitable. Our group have contributed a number of quilts for the cots.

And to change the subject, I've finished the front of my cushion cover, but now need to block it. But having never blocked before it could be a bit of an adventure.

It will be in cyberspace later.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure