Read This (COMET) Read This

Hi all to catch up on my problem read this
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=710677

Today i was on the phone again to comet customer services ha (JOKE) and managed to get a lovely woman on my side about my laptop great she said she will ring them and see if they can accept the laptop back with out taking back the 10%= £60 a lot to lose when you was sold a laptop that does nothing that you wanted it to do.. anyways she said that she has had a word with the manager in comet and he has aggread to take back the laptop back with a full refund on 1 of them cards great i fort get the laptop i wanted i live 30miles away from the place where i got the laptop from so i went in to the store and asked to see the manager about the refund on this laptop he said the he has gone home and will ring him to conferm this. the customer service guy came back to me and said that the manager said that he will not be able to give a full refund coz i lied about the sale of the laptop wow i said what about he said the manager didn't say i was getting all worked up at this point the kids wer playing up so i rang the head office up and asked them to look at the complaint they will have on record they looked 30mins later me still in the store with 2 kids going crazy and they said they have no record of the complaint as it may of been lost coz they had a Fire and every 1 had to leave the offeces and computers get switched off so she said she will do 1 now great i for she asked for the till number on the receipt this guy was holding it and he was talking to some coustmors so i sliped it out of his fingers and he went all crazy on me and said that if i snatch or touch him again he will have me removed from this store i just chuckled and and made a little fuss as a few coutomers was around when he did this...anyways i logged another complaint and was on the phone for about 2hours they said they will speak to the manager about this but it is what the manager says the goes and they have no power to over ride his say is this what comet are really like as i really don't understand why there is a customer services or head office when the manager of the store has finall say beats me..

Does any 1 know of any way around this ????

Or is it a case of going into the store byting the bullet get my refund never shop in there and lose 10% £60 off my money???
I am so so stuck on this i am still within the 2weeks 14days law

help helpe me please this is doing my head in so so much

sorry to go on and on and on

Comments

• bigstevex
    bigstevex Posts: 913 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Here's a little something for you, I don't know if this is still the case and it probably isn't, as i seem to remember him saying just before he left.

A friend used to work in comet and he told me the sales staff knew which products got them the most commission and always pushed those products more than the others as obviously it earns them more. Sometimes customers were sold things that were totally inappropriate for them, but even if the item was brought back the sales person still got their commission so they didn't really care!

Can you not take it back and get a full credit note, then buy the one you actually want?
  • bridtown
    bridtown Posts: 452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thank you for ya reply

I could belive that what you said about saff selling things that give the most comission. they said to me that they doen't earn comission any more lol Hmm lol

I would love a full refund but the only thing is that the laptop cost me £599 and in there teams and conditions they will offer a reund but with 10% off the marked price that i have paid for it...My bit is that i have got something that don't do what i want and is nothing that i wanted i wanted a sont vieo at £899 and was told that this laptop at £599 does the better job at a low cost Hmm starting to belive in what you told me lol

thanks again for ya reply
  • From your other thread someone replied with the T&C and i thought it said you could have a full refund as long as it was a credit note?

P.s yes your right, commission no longer exists apparently in comet!
  • Forgot to mention, maybe the sales person just didn't know what blu ray was? and thinks its some kind of DVD? could of been an honest mistake at your cost obviously.
  • bridtown
    a very good point bigstevex i will have to bring that up when i ring them tomorrow for another beef lol
    vbmenu_register("postmenu_8301557", true);
  • EmH
    EmH Posts: 330 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't ring them. If at all possible, go to the store. It's a lot more difficult to ignore you and fob you off in person. Ask to speak to the manager and insist if necessary, make a nuisance of yourself until they call the manager, (or someone able to make decisions in the absence of the manager - stores are rarely left without anyone in charge), for you. Tell the manager you are rejecting the laptop under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act as it is not fit for the purpose you told the salesman you needed it for when you bought it. You have a legal right to a full refund, in cash if you choose and you can complain to Trading Standards and take legal action if they refuse you this right. Make sure they know that you know this and that you are willing to take this action and carry on complaining until you get the refund to which you are entitled. Did you read any of the links I posted last time? This is all you need to tell them but seriously, go to the store and do it in person. And do it soon, very soon. (I once got a refund from a store that had sold me a pair of "leather" boots that turned out not to be leather when the store were trying to fob me off by standing by the tills telling every customer that came up to check their purchases carefully as I'd been sold goods that were not as described and was being denied a refund. A few customers reconsidered their purchases and the manager pretty soon authorised my refund "as a goodwill gesture" just to get rid of me).

Oh and make sure you get the names of all the people you deal with at Comet regarding this matter from this point on. You'll need to be keeping records of names, times, dates, lengths of calls, mileage, costs etc in case you do need to take this to Trading Standards or the courts.

(Oh, and if he calls you a liar again tell him you'd like him to document that for you so you can take legal action over that too. It's completely unacceptable for an employee in a store to be speaking to a customer in that way).

By the way, you've posted this on the wrong board again. You are much more likely to find people willing and able to help you if you post in the correct section.

May contain nuts
  • How did you pay for this laptop.
  • EmH
    EmH Posts: 330 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bridtown wrote: »
    it is what the manager says the goes and they have no power to over ride his say

I don't believe this for a second. As far as I know (although I could be wrong) Comet stores are not franchises. This means the manager is an employee, not the owner of the store. He will have a boss himself and he can be sacked, so there's no way his word is the law. Comet, as a company, are legally responsible for the manager's decisions, not the manager himself, and to be honest I really doubt they are going to want a Trading Standards complaint and a potential legal mess over £60. Keep pushing this and I'm sure they will back down. They need to realise though that you are not going to go away, you know your rights and you will follow through on them.

As for the claim you are lying about what you told the salesamen, I'd love to know how they intend to prove that in court!

Oh, and if you fancy writing a stroppy letter detailing your disatisfaction:

Hugh Harvey is the Managing Director of Comet.

A letter addressed for his personal attention at the Head Office address should reach him.

Comet Group plc
    Comet House
    Three Rivers Court
    Rickmansworth,
    Hertfordshire,
    WD3 1FX

May contain nuts
  • Butlers1982
    Butlers1982 Posts: 3,286 Forumite
    discount codes and vouchers forum????????
  • bridtown
    sorry about the wrong place posted again lol i really could not find any where to put it....

Thanks again

for advice there is a lot for me to go on with sod comet £60 is a lot of money to me and nothing to comet and like ya said the manager is enployed by comet and has some 1 to answer to. i am goint to request that i have the names of all the staff that that was in the store that was involved and that bloke that called me a lier and said the will remove me from the store carn't get over this what a laugh that would of been lol

Going to ring them up at 2pm to see if they have reached a decision about my refund if they are still going on and on and fobbing me off i will have to take matters even thurther

thanks again for ya advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport