The Great Planning for Death Hunt

Options

Comments

• Cruiksl
    Cruiksl Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    It's interesting that this topic has came up when I've spend today with my uncle getting his affairs in order.

My uncle had a stroke in May last year. It looked as though he'd lost his speech at first but thankfully this has came back.

This morning we sorted out all his finances at the Bank (not very Money Saving but he wants everything financial within one organisation).

From there - we went to the local Funeral Home and have "bought" (must stop saying booked :rotfl:) his funeral. The cost for a basic funeral in Midlothian is £2596 - this is for a cremation, hearse, one car, one flower and notice in the local newspaper. I can't remember who the company is, but if the local Funeral home goes out of business, then we can go to another funeral home to make arrangements.

To finish off, we had an appointment with a solicitor to arrange his will. My uncle has 2 brothers and 1 sister. He really hasn't had any contact with his brothers over the years - they see each other at weddings and funerals so he was adamant that he wanted it left to our side of the family. His decision is to leave my mum (his sister) the house and furniture, and my children and my niece the money from the estate with my brother and I as trustees if they are not of an age to inherit. He also has had me appointed as Power of Attorney for both Heath and Wealth decisions so that should he have any further detoriation then I can take over his financial affairs as well has health decisions.

To be honest - I've found the day totally draining but it means that I know my uncles wishes and I can carry them out. It also brings me comfort knowing that if and when he dies then it's all taken care of.
    So little money - so much time :mad:
  • Cruiksl
    Cruiksl Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry - interesting point I should have mentioned - the cost of a funeral has gone up £400 from my mum buying her funeral last year.
    So little money - so much time :mad:
  • operajeni
    Options
    Just a further thought on the will subject. My husband & I had our wills done a couple of years ago at a local solicitor but instead of paying hundreds we gave a donation to charity as part of "Will Week". I think it's called this or something similar and it's a week in the year when loads of solicitors nationwide offer their services in return for a donation.Most firms have a suggeted amount but if you can't afford this many are happy to take the amount you feel you can afford. I'm fairly sure I got the reccommendation from the MSE site perhaps Martin can clarify if it's still the case?
  • antylilla
    Options
    Here's a money saving tip that I hope no moneysavers ever need. My husband is terminally ill, and I discovered - by accident - that his life insurance would pay out before his death in such circumstances. One phone call to such a kind and compassionate lady at Direct Line and we had the cheque within the month. One less thing to worry about, but I repeat, I hope you never need that information.

Please support the British Lung Foundation and have a 'virtual pint' with my husband! Thanks to the Virtual Pub for the inspiration for this fund raising idea, we have raised nearly £3000 for the British Lung Foundation to fund research into the disease which is killing him so cruelly.
    http://www.justgiving.com/white
  • crossleydd42
    Options
    One point about leaving bequests in Wills. Rather than deliberately and pointedly snubbing/cutting family members out of a Will completely and risk expensive litigation afterwards, it is better to leave them nominal amounts which weakens any case they might make that they were forgotten or left out in some vindictive act.
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • br0wser
    Options
    check out www.deathclock.com ... enter a few lifestyle questions and you'll find out when the big day is and see a handy countdown as well.
  • Boston_Blues
    Options
    Dont forget to apply for Bereavement Allowance or Benefit (leaflet NP45 - A guide to bereavement benefits - from https://www.dwp.gov.uk ) or Forms from the Jobcentre. (BB1 04/06) The Bereavement Allowance is not means tested and depends on how many NI contributions the deceased had paid. Maximum is £2000. sad but true.
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure everyone can get Bereavement allowance/benefit see below
    Who can get a Bereavement Payment

You are entitled to a Bereavement Payment if your husband, wife, or civil partner who has died paid enough national insurance contributions. If they died as the result of an industrial accident or an industrial disease, it does not matter whether they paid enough contributions or not. To get Bereavement Payment you must have been below state pension age when your husband, wife or civil partner died, or - if you were over pension age - they must not have been entitled to state retirement pension, based on their own national insurance contributions, when they died. Pension age is 60 for a woman and 65 for a man. You must have been married to your husband or wife, or in a registered civil partnership with your partner when they died.
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/benefits/benefits_and_bereavement.htm#bereavement_payment
  • Dunkwho
    Dunkwho Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    I've just poked my nose in here to look for information about making a will. As I'm sure of many people my wife and I have been planning on putting a will together since we bought our first home before we were married (12 years ago!) but still haven't found the time (I know, I know :)). With our wonderful daughter wandering around (well, almost wandering around) we feel its critical to get one drawn up now just incase, mainly for guardianship than financial matters. My wife was recommended a soliciter who was talking about £230 for the job which I found amazing ... what is everyone else paying (not a tricky estate\family setup\etc)?

Thanks,
    Duncan.
  • DdraigGoch
    Options
    Well, I suppose "everyone" who isn't retired and has paid their stamp can claim - I haven't investigated but, cynic that I am, going on past performance from Government, I presume that the self-employed, industrial accident or not, cannot claim.

Another thing to remember to check - so many - is to see if there is a Death In Service benefit. Some people may find there is. I believe it applies to Civil Servants, but also to some privately employed people too.

I could be wrong though.

DG
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback