The Great Planning for Death Hunt

Options

Comments

• DONZERELLA
    DONZERELLA Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have a will that we wrote when ds was 18 months. we would now like to change the appointed guardians in the will from all 4 grandparents to my SIL who is local and has a young family too. I have been quoted £100+ to do this and wonder how necessary this is or whether we can change it ourselve and have it witnessed.

Cheers

Donna
  • SaverSims
    SaverSims Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    inkie wrote: »
    I am a minister and so have a lot of dealings with the funeral directors. I was there the other day having a coffee with them, and they told me that if you are a Co-op divvy member (which costs £1 to join), then you get £56 reduction on the funeral bill if you use Co-op funeral service. Better in your pocket than theirs.

Thanks, Inkie! We didn't know about the discount at the time of my mother-in-law's funeral in Oct 2007, but I contacted Co-op Funeralcare this week and a cheque for GBP62.50 is on its way!
  • KittaKatta
    Options
    I was actually thinking about writing my will (I am not married but I have a partner and we have a house together), but I cannot make up my mind. I was checking in the Net and have noticed that there are several online services where you can draw your own will for about £10.00. Has anyone tried them, and if so, can you recommend anyone? Or would it be best to go to a solicitor and get it all sorted...?
    If anyone can help, I'd be really grateful:A
  • SuzySF
    SuzySF Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    If you have the inclination, I found a pack at W.H.Smiths (guess it would be available at all good stationers). It's published by Lawpack Publishing Ltd, and its called LAST WILL & TESTAMENT (self help kit).

In it there is a CD rom, and a very comprehensive booklet Guidance Manual(rather more substantial than a booklet..). Its amazingly comprehensive in what it covers and goes into great detial withing those subjects. It cost £15.99. I did mine with this, and had my sisters friend to look at it (she is a solicitor) who was very impressed with the will i had made. This may be of some help....i did post earlier about thinking of doing my own will - well i did !!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • SuzySF
    SuzySF Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    I must clear up a point that I think i may have indavertnedly caused some confusion with my first post re: will kit and my mothers will.

Both my mother and I (and my husband) all have wills written by a solicitor, some years ago, within this will there are no changes in the body, but some names have to change e.g. in my mothers will all was left to dad, who sadly died some years ago, and the house mentioned has been sold. in my will, my trustee died suddenly - so I have to name a new trustee, but all stands as was. personally i dont think a solicitor is needed in this situation. However i did buy a will kit, to make sure that the changes were correct, and anything else that may have come up was covered (not that much changed). Also my funeral arrangements are part of my will, and i changed details in them (such as my coffin - check this out www.creativecoffins.com)
    on that happy note ....i'm off to catch some sun and do some garden tidying whilst its dry :) happy days
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • KittaKatta
    Options
    SuzySF wrote: »
    If you have the inclination, I found a pack at W.H.Smiths (guess it would be available at all good stationers). It's published by Lawpack Publishing Ltd, and its called LAST WILL & TESTAMENT (self help kit).

In it there is a CD rom, and a very comprehensive booklet Guidance Manual(rather more substantial than a booklet..). Its amazingly comprehensive in what it covers and goes into great detial withing those subjects. It cost £15.99. I did mine with this, and had my sisters friend to look at it (she is a solicitor) who was very impressed with the will i had made. This may be of some help....i did post earlier about thinking of doing my own will - well i did !!

Sounds great! It's actually something I read about somewhere in the past, and I think I will go for it - but through Amazon (ca. £10.00), saves some extra cash :rotfl:
  • malgrat_2
    Options
    Start saving now my mothers funeral has a shortfall of 1,284.00 she only had a policy for over a thousand pounds and the social fund will not help, though I am on 3 of the benefits required, as my brother was on sick at the time of her death though he is now on a qualifying benefit.Consequently the funeral director is taking me to court for the remainder I didn't know that you can get a decent funeral on an internet site for under a thousand pound so shop around before and plan ahead.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    malgrat wrote: »
    Start saving now my mothers funeral has a shortfall of 1,284.00 she only had a policy for over a thousand pounds and the social fund will not help, though I am on 3 of the benefits required, as my brother was on sick at the time of her death though he is now on a qualifying benefit.Consequently the funeral director is taking me to court for the remainder I didn't know that you can get a decent funeral on an internet site for under a thousand pound so shop around before and plan ahead.

RE: funerals, you have to decide what you want, what is essential and what you can leave out.

I was talking to our church minister the other night - got a call late at night from the local hospital to tell me that my DH was being transferred from a ward to Critical Care - and our minister insisted on coming in with me. I told her what we want, because (a) it began to look like that and (b) she's a person who would need to know if the worst happened.

She told me that there used to be a firm of funeral directors locally who advertised that 'they were the cheapest in the county, come to us if you haven't got a huge amount to spend on a funeral....' or some such. Yes, they were pretty cheap as regards the basics BUT they also added on a few other things which are not strictly essential, but which bumped the price up nicely!

I explained to our minister that we both want a 'green burial' and the woodland burial people act as funeral directors, take charge of the body, there's a hall which is multi-purpose, a religious service can be held, a get-together, refreshments, anything you want, all on site. And no embalming fluids which can leach into the earth, no delay in burial (no keeping in a freezer for days or weeks beforehand!)

My list of non-essentials is:

1. Funeral cars/limousines. Most people have transport of some sort or can join with others.

2. Flowers.

3. Newspaper ads - and BTW there was an instance here recently where a house was burgled during a funeral. So don't put an ad in the paper giving personal details and certainly not the address!!! But people do, unbelievably enough, and burglars don't care. In that instance, they'd taken a camcorder which, although valuable in itself, was more valuable to the family because there were the last photos ever taken of the deceased when he was sitting up and smiling, in his last few days, so those are irreplaceable.

Those who need to know can be told by other means.

4. A funeral meal/wake.

HTH
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Hello again

My DH nearly died last week. He's on the mend now, thank God! But this has acted as a 'memento mori' and this morning I have been on the phone and arranged our funerals, whichever of us should go first, the same.

We're having a 'green burial' at a place called Thornton Meadows which is not too far from where we live. A local family firm of funeral directors who are used to doing these kind of funerals. Service in our church first, because there isn't a hall or building at the burial site. Church will do refreshments afterwards. No limousines (most people have a car!), no flowers (donations to a charity), no newspaper announcements. But everything just as we want - £2,500.

HTH
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Margaret Clare, that is just about the same as what we want AND there is a green burial site near where we come from in the Midlands.

Is that £2500 for the two?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback