The Great Planning for Death Hunt

191011121315»

Comments

• elvina
    elvina Posts: 84 Forumite
    Helping my Dad recently to put together details of what he does and doesn't want when the time comes and was amazed to discover that many crematoriums in the UK wont accept cardboard or wicker coffins - health and safety risk apparently!

Also very shocked to discover that undertakers charge more for a carboard coffin that a wood one. You can buy cardboard ones online for less than £200!

Also shocked to find out that in my Dads local crematorium it costs over £800 to be cremated, that is just the crematorium cost! On top of that you have got to add £150 for 2 Drs to ensure that you are dead!

I rang around a few undertakers and couldn't get much under £3,000 and that was for the simplest funeral.

On a brighter note I recently went to a woodland funeral and it was lovely - beautiful setting and all in all a lovely place.
  • I am looking for experienced advice on the in's and out's of pre-paid funeral plans.
    My partner is 67, I am 51. We have had an insurance policy (where for a reasonable annual payment we are both covered, or at least one of us is!) for the past 8 years. However, due to my partners increasing age the premium is nearly doubling each year (despite the providers assurances it would only rise with inflation.)

So, we have decided to take out a pre-paid funeral plan and pay monthly over a 5 year period.

Our dilema is who do we choose, and who is going to look after our money and not go bust? (Or if they do, the money is protected.)

Avalon have explained to me any payments we make go into an Escrow account at CAPITA (the co who also look after civil service pensions and TV licencing funds.)
    Can anyone confirm if this is correct, and also is the money watertight?

I think we are going to avoid the smaller private companies who just keep the money in their own bank.

This said Golden Leaves (a long time established Croydon based funeral directors), have been around a long time. I am just going to call them to see if they put their money in a similar trust.

Any advice on where our money/plan might be safe would be welcome.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    does any company offer joint funeral plan - I do not mean both buried/cremated at same time,
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    elvina wrote: »
    Helping my Dad recently to put together details of what he does and doesn't want when the time comes and was amazed to discover that many crematoriums in the UK wont accept cardboard or wicker coffins - health and safety risk apparently!

Also very shocked to discover that undertakers charge more for a carboard coffin that a wood one. You can buy cardboard ones online for less than £200!

Also shocked to find out that in my Dads local crematorium it costs over £800 to be cremated, that is just the crematorium cost! On top of that you have got to add £150 for 2 Drs to ensure that you are dead!

I rang around a few undertakers and couldn't get much under £3,000 and that was for the simplest funeral.

On a brighter note I recently went to a woodland funeral and it was lovely - beautiful setting and all in all a lovely place.

ooher that is useful to know, sorting out what I would like at mo and wanted cardboard coffin and cremation so looking as that is a non starter :(
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    lemontart wrote: »
    does any company offer joint funeral plan - I do not mean both buried/cremated at same time,

My parents started out paying off a joint plan with AgeUK - whoever died first would have had their funeral paid for with it.

As they were still here when the plan was paid up, they transferred that to Dad's name and started another individual plan for Mum.
  • Lots of useful information, but I was looking for some info on Funeral Plans. They are just about manageable to afford and the if I have to pay for my own care, at least this will be one expense sorted.

FMaggie
  • Saetana
    Saetana Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does anyone have any recommendations for pre-paid funeral plans please? My mother in law wants to arrange and pay for her funeral in advance - just cremation only, no service, no cars - nothing else. I've had a bit of a look around and it seems rather expensive to me. She only has a maximum budget of £2000. Any advice very much appreciated.
    2020 Wins:
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    elvina wrote: »
    On top of that you have got to add £150 for 2 Drs to ensure that you are dead!

oh no - not to ensure that you are dead ( but that does come into it)

First doctor has to explain all the circumstances of last illness to second doctor who then discuss it. First and second doctors may also speak to the relatives and anyone present at the death, second doctor specifically can ask re any concerns over care etc etc. Also check whether deceased had pacemaker. Then they fill in large forms and the whole lot goes to a third doctor (crem referee) who OKs it. Last one I did took 3 hours and 45 miles travelling. Used to be a lot simpler but things changed.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Saetana wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recommendations for pre-paid funeral plans please? My mother in law wants to arrange and pay for her funeral in advance - just cremation only, no service, no cars - nothing else. I've had a bit of a look around and it seems rather expensive to me. She only has a maximum budget of £2000. Any advice very much appreciated.

Do a Google search for Direct Cremation
  • Saetana
    Saetana Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does anyone have any experience of the company Simplicity Creations please? I've found them on a web search and their pre-paid service sounds ideal and reasonably priced. They are a group of independent funeral directors.
    2020 Wins:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure