The Great Planning for Death Hunt

Options

Comments

• carrottopsuk
    Options
    If you are a member of a union such as Unison and PCS you my be entitled to use their free wills service.

(apologies if someone has already mentioned this - I haven't read all the posts yet)
  • roller
    roller Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    As others have already mentioned, a green funeral is ecological and reasonable. You do not have to involve a funeral director. Get buried in a cardboard coffin with a tree planted on top instead of a headstone.
    Don't get burnt, return to nature.

//www.naturaldeath.org.uk/

offers more information and further links to local sites.:A
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    roller wrote: »
    As others have already mentioned, a green funeral is ecological and reasonable. You do not have to involve a funeral director. Get buried in a cardboard coffin with a tree planted on top instead of a headstone.

The Woodland and Wildlife Conservation Company, which runs the Herongate Wood site that I've already quoted (which is where we want to be) act as funeral directors. They do the whole thing - collect the body, the whole lot. The only thing to be aware of is that the funeral can't be delayed as long as in a 'conventional' funeral because they don't use embalming fluids for preservation.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    roller wrote: »

I already posted this ;):D
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • GiveItBack
    GiveItBack Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Options
    Just a final incentive. People with wills live longer than people without.
    People with gifts to charity in their wills live longer than people without.
    for more info check out www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk . You'll find me there.
    New Year's Resolution: Post less unnecessary posts. (and that was 2007)

yes, I realise I may appear cold and heartless a lot of the time.
  • operajeni
    Options
    I'm reading these with interest as I lost my father last year and was the sibling that had the task of organising his funeral. Dad had been ill for a while so, on one of my last visits before he deteriorated, we had a light hearted chat about his wishes. He chose some music and told me that the rest was up to us. I did find the job of organising his funeral gave me a sense of purpose in the week after he died, but it was a shock as to how expensive funerals really are. We were very lucky in that the funeral director was pretty straight and didn't try to "sell" us things we didn't want, but incidentally, for those moneysavers that think a wicker coffin is cheaper you'll be upset to know that they are actually more expensive than wood! My family think I'm morbid, but for my two sons sake I will definitely be pre planning and paying for my own funeral, also that way I'll hopefully get the send off I'd like! The "black book" idea is helpful too since my(soon to be ex) hubby struggles with organisation in life and I dread to think what kind of job he'd make of my funeral were it left to him! Did make wuills though VERY important!!!!
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    When my Dad died Mum was around and she knew what Dad wanted which made things a lot simpler all round. They'd discussed it all years before.
    When mum had a stroke four years ago she was sent to hospital then a care home so she never returned to the family home. Luckily she was very organised when it came to bills and had a good filing system so it was easy for us to find things and change addresses where necessary etc.
    Once the house was sold Mum took out a funeral plan so everything she wants is in black and white, right down to the hymns she wants at the service.
    Its never something anyone really wants to talk about I know but we all know it's one of the few things certain in life. I like the idea of a book with instructions in on whats to be done etc. and who's handling it all.
    OH would be useless at finding stuff like insurance papers as its me who always handles that side of things and although I've told him where they are I think if it came to it his mind just might go a bit blank so in my little book I shall make a note of whats kept where to make things a bit easier all round.
    I've already asked someone to be executor and also power of attorney if and when it was needed. She's a person with a level head and would be able to cope with it all far better than my two sons, plus she lives close by, they live miles away.
    All I have to do now is put in writing what I want and thats the bit I find difficult.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • bbmike
    bbmike Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Below is copy of free insurance offered by the Irish Credit Union. I do not know if the same terms apply on the mainland. Approximately ten years ago when my father in law died the Credit Union insurance gave £1000 towards the associated funeral costs. I do not know how long he was a member or how much he had in savings however I do think it would be worth a little research.
    > Home > Credit Union Services > Insurance > Free to Member Insurance blank.gif Free to member Insurance Services

• Loan Protection
    • Life Savings Insurance
    Loan Protection Insurance
    Many people choose to take out insurance to cover outstanding loans in case of death or permanent disability. In your credit union the savings and loan balances of all eligible members are automatically covered, (up to certain limits), at no direct cost to the member.

Life Savings Protection
    With Life Savings insurance, your dependants will receive a financial sum in the event of your death. The amount they will receive will depend on your age and how much you have saved with your credit union over the years. Life Savings insurance is paid for by your credit union. There is no additional direct cost to you, the member.
  • SmellyOldSock
    Options
    My best advice is not to do everything thru the funeral home!

I sell memorials, and the amount of mark-up the funeral homes charge is huge!

recently I arranged a memorial for a family, they told me the price the funeral home had quoted and I was able to knock over $500 off!

Same with flowers, shop around! Just remember the funeral home won't be doing it out of kindness! They will be wanting a cut!

Charlotte
    Toughest form of moutain climbing is climbing out of a rut
    I WILL be debt free!
    I WILL be happy!
    red pen member 4
  • spike274
    Options
    Ref post from toshkininny re WHSmith "Last Will and Testament Kit" for £10.49. I would also like to know if its any good and worth doing. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

so can anyone tell me how much a solicitor should charge to write a Will for a couple? The average price?

I have just seen this (sorry no good at doing links!)

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails-Last+Will+and+Testament+Kit+-9781904053538.html

and wondered if it was worth doing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure