The Great Planning for Death Hunt

Comments

• David12
    David12 Posts: 23 Forumite
    sandy2 wrote: »
    organ donation, organ donation, organ donation
    Please give generously and make sure everyone knows this is what you want

Even better, donate your whole body to a training hospital and if it is in reasonable condition, they come and take it away. They may use to train surgeons (wouldn't you rather the one operating on you had done the job before?) or test vehicles/equipment in lieu of crash dummies for all I care!
    My Dad did this and I have my name down too - to a Liverpool hospital in my case as you want one local so you don't go bad on the way there!

Medical Training. You can leave your body for the teaching of anatomy to medical students by contacting the Human Tissue Authority, Finlaison House, 15 to 17 Furnival Street, London EC4A. Tel: 0207 972 4551
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    I've been wondering about that but don't know where the nearest training hospital would be to where I live at the minute. I think its Sheffield but how can I find out ?

Ooops.................silly me...........megga senior moment........just spotted the info at the bottom of your posting. Sorry
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • The best piece of advice, IMHO, was don't put your money in a funeral home plan unless you plan to die anytime soon, because who knows if they will be in business when you go. I don't plan to go till I am 100 so who knows what funeral director will be around. I plan for my son and my best friend to sing at my funeral, but my son will be 76 and my best friend will be 88 so I don't think that will happen.
    Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money but you can't get more time
  • If you're unhappy with a religious funeral for someone who wasn't religious, but don't feel up to doing it all yourself, you should try the British Humanist Association who will help you, including providing an officiant who will conduct a funeral to your taste. I've been to three of these, and was very impressed by the trouble taken to find out about the deceased and produce just what the survivors wanted. They do make a charge, but its very modest for the effort put in to find out about the person concerned and speak from knowledge, not a formula. Thery're on the web. (And I don't have anything to gain from your taking this advice!!)
  • mancmum
    mancmum Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello, its taken 18 years before I can write this but I wanted to say thank you to the Co-op. Certainly 18 years ago they never made a charge for arranging a basic funeral for a child. I don't have the emotional resources to re-visit and find out if this is still the case but I hope it is.

If you ever need to advise a parent on arranging a funeral do consider the Co-op.

This isn't about money saving its about feeling that someone out there cares when you are at your lowest point. Sadly there will always be parents in the position we were in - the humanity we met from a institution was more than we had from the hospital.
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    It does make a difference when funeral directors do something over and above what we think they will. When my son died in a London hospital and had to e transported to our home in Northamptonshire our local funeral director made no charge and just charged us cost price for the actual funeral. It meant a lot to us at the time to be shown such kindness by people we had never met before so I know what you mean.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • FLC_3
    FLC_3 Posts: 13 Forumite
    A couple of tips for those left behind:
    • You don't need a solicitor - it's perfectly possible to handle the probate yourself.
    • Don't feel rushed in to things. It took us two years to decide on a design for the headstone when one of my parents died. I'm sure they didn't mind being without for a while and we got something nice and a bit different.
  • Owt4nowt
    Owt4nowt Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We recently used the company linked below to write our wills. The cost was £49.00 for two wills. A represenatative calls at your home to take your details and then you receive your wills in the post with details of how to execute them. You then send them back for checking. We received our wills back today with a letter saying they had been properly completed.

(If you decide to use this company be prepared for them trying to sell their Wills for Life Scheme. It costs over £2000.)

http://www.trustinheritance.com/
  • eco
    eco Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    look up green funerals on the net, you can buy a cardboard coffin for about £50, my aunty had a whicker one, my mum and aunty are both buried on a green site, it's run as acharity to protect the land for some rare newts so to be buried there you have to make a donation, you can arrange the funeral yourself, digging the hole etc. my neices and nephews helped fill there grandma in then we went to the pub for a party my mum would have loved to have been there, it was a great day for a funeral it was just how my mum would have liked it, so check out green funerals and see whats in your area
  • my 'little black book' is up to date with all financial matters/ accounts etc written down carefully so there is no mix up anywhere.

another tip, if you know you are 'going on holiday'(!) is to transfer all your savings into one account and give your PIN number to who you want to manage your affairs and they can draw/sort out etc etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback