The Great Planning for Death Hunt

Comments

• Marisan
    Marisan Posts: 96 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hmm...not something we like to think about,but we should.When my Mum died the grief was tempered by the fact that I knew down to the tiniest detail what her wishes were,and she had left enough (more than,actually) to cover everything.

My hubby and I don't have children so whichever one pops off first,the other will inherit everything.Or so you would imagine,but I don't think that is necessarily the case.Which is why this thread has reminded me that we must get round to making wills. Although not wealthy by any means,we do own our own home and have some assets.I have a brother who is technically my next of kin after hubby,but we do not get on and I don't want him getting his hands on anything,so a will is a must.

As for a funeral,I am shocked at the spiralling cost of dying,so for me,the simplest funeral possible,no flowers,no Church,a cheap coffin (I fancy a wicker one but don't want to spend Eternity with lines all over me!),no expensive burial plot or headstone.I would just want my loved ones and friends to remember me with a quiet prayer.
    .Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
  • Re getting flowers, having looked at flowers from high street florist & through funeral directors, there wasn't much difference, so were looking at around £120 for MUM arrangement. Stopped at stall in local shopping centre, who did exactly the same arrangement for £64! - Hastily cancelled those booked through funeral director & saved nearly half money! Stalls don't have same overheads. Also now doing our wedding later this year!
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Mrs T.S. has instructions to do me as cheaply as humanly possible!

I beleve it is legal to turn up at a cremtorium with the body wraped in a couple of bin liners - that'll do for me!!!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • I'm going to make a list of all the recommendations on this thread, and then report back when they're done - do nag me!

Please may I take this opportunity to thank everyone for their advice and experience. I had a divvil of a time with my late father's estate - 3 years, £8K bill from solicitors and the government had far too much. He trusted them. I have different solicitors. My MIL died, her estate was approximately 10 times more than my father's - done in 6 weeks and cost less than £500, and the government got nothing! I have learnt that lesson well - using same solicitors as MILly did.

DG
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Suzy_M wrote: »
    Goods to charity is obvious but what about all the family photographs and letters etc - is someone in your family interested in family history?

Please think about spending some time doing this - on so many occasions all the family history ends up in the bin or on a bonfire when there's someone in the family who would love all the old photographs, letters and such stuff - and would preserve them and pass them on.

Also, to make your descendants really happy, spend some time writing names and dates on the back of photos - a soft pencil is best. In an hundred years time your photos will be treasured as much as the ones we have of our Victorian ancestors!
  • Derek_A.
    Derek_A. Posts: 74 Forumite
    ailuro2 wrote: »
    In a wicker coffin in a wood/forest somewhere nice so my DD can come and have a picnic, hopefully with her kids, and tell them how lovely her mum and dad were....

The money is available, but I really do need to get round to making a will.
    Please dont delay make out your will ASAP. Believe me it will be so much better for your family.
  • So what's the best/easiest/cheapest way to make a will? :confused:
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    'Free Minister'.
    Members of our Baptist chapel get the Minister's services and use of the chapel building free for their funerals. I realise this is hardly likely to cause a stampede, but worth checking if your place of worship offers a similar 'benefit'!

Bequests: Percentage or set amount?
    When making a will, consider what you actually want somebody to gain.
    This is my reason:
    My grandparents left Little Sis and I £1000 each in their wills, along with various other amounts to other people & charities. The remainder was left to another family member. They had just retired and at the time their house was valued at £3.500.
    Many years later, when they died within months of each other, the house was worth £25,000, but the wills stated a set amount - all legal etc but not their intention at all.
    The main beneficiary made the token gesture of doubling the amounts, then spent the rest.
    All water under the bridge, but don't let it happen in your family!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Another important thing to think about is identity theft. If your partner dies ring the helplines of the various credit reference agencies and supply them with the death certificate (they will send it back) and they will stop you being financially associated with the deceased. In doing so it should also stop anyone from fraudulently using that persons identity.

If you are using a solicitor you can ask them to make certified copies of the death certificate you will need lots of copies because everyone wants to see an original or certified copy. When you register the death it is a good idea to get a number of copies of the death certificate, it makes things much easier.

Most companies are very helpful but expect mistakes and try not to let them get to you. Our telephone provider actually wrote to The Late Mr J to thank him for informing them of his death and to invite him to view his account online! I managed to laugh at that, but when the tax office sent a nasty letter to 'The Late Mr J' insisting that they could not finalise his tax affairs without his signature and threatening penalties, they got an angry letter from my solicitor!

Be confident when dealing with the funeral director, know what you want - and what you don't. Ours was very good, but he said several times that it was not usual to do what I wanted to do, and if I had been less confident I could easily have been talked into spending money on things that I didn't want. Try to have talked through what you want before going to the funeral director and if you don't feel strong take someone with you who can be assertive for you.
  • A Discounted Gift Plan is worth a look

Money comes out of the Estate, BUT you also get an income from it for life.
    Part of the Gift has the 7 year rule applied, so you need an IFA to help. I think it is too complex to attempt as a DIY project
    There will be a minimum investment, this could be as much as £50k.
    Worth a look at if you are concerned about IHT
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure