Air Source Heat Pumps

Comments

• There are cooling/heating systems which tend to be described as "air conditioning" that have an internal cassette with a heat exchanger to transfer heat from the refrigerant to the ducted air. More often used in commercial applications.
    All the big brand names do them. Mitsubishi, Daikin, ..... Try here for more information
  • Some of you may be interested in a system I am nearing completion.
    I have just bought a Dismy 10kw air to water heat pump
    http://www.vistaire.plc.uk/Dismy/Dismy--homepage.html
    This will work along side a multifuel burner, solar panel and reserve 3kw immersion heater in a 250ltr open vented heat bank (cylinder).
    The heat pump will be controlled by a submersed cylinder stat.
    The burner is gravity fed
    I designed the cylinder myself at
    http://www.heatweb.com/
    The heating is hydronic under floor 8 port john guest system
    The project is in Ireland and should be up running by Christmas
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A lot of you are worried about the noise, the modern systems have very quiet compressors which sound just like an electric motor, most of the noise comes from the large fan that is used to pull the air through the coil (like a radiator in a car).

I did a recent video of my air to air heat pump in defrost mode, basically the refrigerant flow reverses so that hot refrigerant flows through the outside unit to remove ice and the inside unit has cold refrigerant flowing through, however you dont notice it as the fan is not on inside so theres no draughts.

U can hear the noise of the compressor but you can also hear the traffic going past too which is much louder. Its a gentle hum which is generated by the unit, and when the fan kicks back in you can hear the fan but the unit is silent. We leave ours runninng all night when its cold so the room temps dont drop too low.

Heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JZvqFWpA7U
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • Re the video illustrating noise levels - I haven't seen one of these things before and I am puzzled - in the video the fan appears stationary, and the noise levels appear to be acceptably low. But - is it noisier or quieter when the fan is running i.e. during normal operation? If noisier, I would appreciate a similar video with it running ...
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Re the video illustrating noise levels - I haven't seen one of these things before and I am puzzled - in the video the fan appears stationary, and the noise levels appear to be acceptably low. But - is it noisier or quieter when the fan is running i.e. during normal operation? If noisier, I would appreciate a similar video with it running ...

Isn't that the stroboscopic effect of the video camera making the fan appear still?
  • mech_2
    mech_2 Posts: 620 Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    Isn't that the stroboscopic effect of the video camera making the fan appear still?
    That would be a bit of a fluke wouldn't it?

If you read the text it says it's in defrost mode and that the fan starts up again afterwards. If you skip to the end of the video you see it start up, though there isn't a lot time to then assess how loud it is. Seems pretty quiet though.
  • Hermann
    Hermann Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Re the video illustrating noise levels - I haven't seen one of these things before and I am puzzled - in the video the fan appears stationary, and the noise levels appear to be acceptably low. But - is it noisier or quieter when the fan is running i.e. during normal operation? If noisier, I would appreciate a similar video with it running ...
    Have you read this thread .....
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1310449

and have you seen Steveheads heat pump video ........
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=79UAPRI6p-M

All interesting stuff.
  • We're considering installing a NIBE Fighter 2005 Single Pahse 8kW ASHP.

http://www.onidserv.com/resources/ecoenergy-centre/doc/fighter_2005_technical_en.pdf
    We're not on gas mains, we currently have electric storage heaters, live in Aberdeenshire in a 3 bed '50 brick construction bungalow, loft and cavity wall insulation getting installed next week, poor/old double glazing at present.

Performance appears adequate - a minimum COP of a little 2 over at an outside temperature of -7 deg C but increases to nigh on 4 @ 15 deg C.

How reliable are these quoted COP values?
    A delivery temperature of 50 deg C - is this good enough to heat the house and hot water?
    Will the water need boosted?
    Any other advice?
  • Kev_Dale wrote: »
    A delivery temperature of 50 deg C - is this good enough to heat the house and hot water?
    Will the water need boosted?
    Any other advice?

Yes, you will need to boost the hot water temperature as regulations state that it must be at least 60degC in order to kill various viruses that lurk within. In terms of the heating, it depends on how big your radiators are. 50degC is too low for normal radiators specified for a gas system, so you'll need to oversize them, or go for underfloor heating.
  • Yes, you will need to boost the hot water temperature as regulations state that it must be at least 60degC in order to kill various viruses that lurk within. In terms of the heating, it depends on how big your radiators are. 50degC is too low for normal radiators specified for a gas system, so you'll need to oversize them, or go for underfloor heating.

Should have said, over sized radiators are also planned. Not sure what percentage though.

Do you think the COP values are realistic?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure