Air Source Heat Pumps

Comments

• Hi Rabbidog.
    check www.cooleasy.com for a £770 unit. DIY fit. I calculate that the saving in backgroung heating costs for my 3 bed inner terrace, where 3 oap's need a lot of keeping warm will be in excess of £100pa. ie...£600 to be down to £500.
    That is a 12.5% return on investment.
    In france the cost of the feed electricity is 1 twentieth...hence they sell very well there!
    Cost of fitting...so far 2 brackets=10, a long masonry drill and a cold chisel....£20 the lot. Can you manage to drilll a 70mm hole through an external wall?
    If so...go for it, I say.
    There are cheaper versions around, and smaller.
  • Presumably you mean cooleasy.co.uk as the .com link doesn't load anything relevant for me?
    If the £770 is for a single internal air unit, how would you propose to heat all the rooms, or concentrate in one area only?
  • Go open plan! ie, leave all your downstairs doors open. Hot air rises...I think, which is why we have an upper house in parliament! 9kwh of heat is incredible. You won't need it all the time. It is background heating.
    But seriously, you must consider where you need the heat, and when. We all sit and watch freeview all evening, but at 10 pm, grandad goes to bed.. so we switch the ch on! for 1 hour. This warms the upstairs, if it needs it. It is all about putting the cheapest heat where you want it, when you want it. And cooleasy only supply one solution. It is up to you to decide where and when to heat what. All the arithmetic states is that you can save. You can also save by shutting all the doors, switching on the gas fire and letting the rest of the house freeze. But if you wish to warm the whole place, and have a focal point of heat, ie a gas fire, then let the heat pumps provide the background heating and enjoy a warm, cheaper way of life. And don't forget....it is greener!
  • Go open plan! ie, leave all your downstairs doors open. Hot air rises...I think, which is why we have an upper house in parliament! 9kwh of heat is incredible. You won't need it all the time. It is background heating.
    But seriously, you must consider where you need the heat, and when. We all sit and watch freeview all evening, but at 10 pm, grandad goes to bed.. so we switch the ch on! for 1 hour. This warms the upstairs, if it needs it. It is all about putting the cheapest heat where you want it, when you want it. And cooleasy only supply one solution. It is up to you to decide where and when to heat what. All the arithmetic states is that you can save. You can also save by shutting all the doors, switching on the gas fire and letting the rest of the house freeze. But if you wish to warm the whole place, and have a focal point of heat, ie a gas fire, then let the heat pumps provide the background heating and enjoy a warm, cheaper way of life. And don't forget....it is greener!
    Not an ideal way to heat a house is it really? Surely your better off with a heat pump which can heat the rooms independantly using room stats, TRV's to get the rooms to the correct temp rather than getting one room hot and hoping it will eventually get to the other rooms.:rolleyes:
  • Hi All,

We've got a 1950's detached bungalow, we are having the relevant insluation installed soon (wall & loft), and currently have a solid fuel boiler (anthricite grains), this is old and is a pain to operate and isn't cheap to run.

I've looked at getting an oil boiler, and got a cost of £7500, this includes new water tank/boiler/flu/oil tank etc/radiator valves and flushing the system. I have also got a quote for an air to water heat pump, which come in at £15000:eek: :eek: , this includes a worcester-bosch unit, with internal hotwater distribution unit, this will provide hot water and heating to radiators. We've worked out the costs and think that the payback with be in the region of 5-6 years at current prices, obviously if oil goes up the payback shortens.

The though of paying out 15k seems to be worrying me.

Does anyone have any thoughts/help/advice?

Ed
    :D
  • Certainly try here to get a quote from an installer. They are releasing some different capacity models imminently as well. They tie into Gledhill so may well be able to provide similar to what you have been offered.
    My view is that a heat pump is a better way to go than a new oil installation. You just need to find a competitive quote.
    Try and check out Daikin and Nibe as well.
  • amtrakuk
    amtrakuk Posts: 630 Forumite
    How many have experienced their unit icing up? Ive heard they sometimes ice up?
  • I hope those that have told you they ice up also said they have a built in de-icing sequence in their control systems which temporarily reverse the temperature flow.
  • amtrakuk
    amtrakuk Posts: 630 Forumite
    Sort of. They said you have to reverse the heat pump until it has de-iced
  • Can anyone tell me whether an air source heat pump can be used to replace an electric warm air heating boiler. The ducts are alredy there from the electric boiler to all ground floor and first floor rooms.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport