Air Source Heat Pumps

1170171172173174176»

Replies

• c13pepc13pep Forumite
    14 Posts
    For the benefit of clarity, whilst my lounge temperature is set to 24 degrees my hot water has a range of 42 - 52 degrees with the Mitsubishi hydrobox factory biased to maintain DHW temp before CH temp and I never use an immersion heater. The hot water provides steamy baths and is piping hot from early morning to late evening with the very efficient 300Ltr tank.
    If you read my earlier post properly then it says that `the system is shut down when it`s at its LEAST efficient. All ASHPs are less efficient in cold air, that`s just a fact, however less efficient is not that it doesn`t work it`s just that it has to work harder to maintain the temperatures, however my house holds its heat very well so I can afford to switch the heating off overnight.
    As has been mentioned many times on many forums it`s the total package that has to work .ie ASHP + internal system(radiators or underfloor etc.) + insulation and in particular whether the installation is retrospective as ours was.
    We are completely happy with our house and its running costs and I base my recommendations purely on that.
    CHRIS
  • richardc1983richardc1983 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Interesting post but if it holds the heat so well why don't you use a night set back? Just curious?
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • zeupaterzeupater Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    c13pep wrote: »
    ... however my house holds its heat very well so I can afford to switch the heating off overnight ...
    Hi

Our house is very similar ... plenty of insulation and loads of internal thermal mass to store the heat, meaning that heat-pump heating can be provided when most efficient operation is possible or the log burner not having to burn all day, or even every day ...

The only problem with high mass buildings is that if you allow them to cool slowly, they take a load of energy to warm up again, in our case many hundreds of kWh, in which case it needs help from the GCH!! ... but once it's there it does last quite some time... :)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Hi Samtheman 1k.
    I am in the process, after many and varied salesman visits, of probably employing a local firm to install, following a couple of local recommendations, Have been altering house in meantime. A near neighbour had his installed in an old cottage last summer. After our long and cold winter they are well pleased with it, which is very reassuring re retrofitting.
    What I wanted to ask you in particular is. did you come off economy 7 the minute you scrapped the SHs. or rest it both ways? I am still thinking that I might need to do 2 yr trial with 1 yr on then 1 yr off E7 to work it out, not least because I have both types of solar panels to help drive it by day, No two people seem to think the same way on this.
    Thanx
  • SaraR2018SaraR2018 Forumite
    11 Posts
    Forumite
    Zoned cooling and heating is a type of HVACinstallation configuration where the home is divided into different zones. Each of these zones is a targeted space for climate control.

While central air conditioning system can also be used for temperature zoning, the more innovative ductless mini split system is specifically designed for this type of application, making it the more conducive system for single-room or whole-home climate control.
  • TowserTowser Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    The only system we have is a solidfuel CH and water. This means in winter it's freezing in the mornings until you have got up to put the fire on. Will your system work with ours? Can a plumber rig up a twin system?
  • We have moved into a house with a Mitsubishi ecodan air source system and I have a quick question. While the heating is on the controller states the heat pump is constantly running, is this normal?
  • drobindrobin Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    Hello I'm getting quotes for an air source heat pump. I was wondering if any one had any experience of this. I can't help noticing that in the quotes I have recieved the average cost of the air source heat pumps appear to be £5000 to £6000 this would appear to be very expensive. On top of this there is then installation and commissioning fees takin the cost to between £10000 and £13000. Each time this would be about what that company says I should get from the RHI. 
    My property is two bedroom with underfloor heating and two radiators. 
    Are these expensive of average quotes 
  • edited 9 March 2020 at 12:43PM
    CardewCardew Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    edited 9 March 2020 at 12:43PM
    Welcome to the forum.
    There is plenty of evidence that when a government subsidy is available - RHI in your case - firms inflate prices to ensure they benefit.
    Your quoted prices do indeed seem expensive for a  property with Underfloor heating and only two radiators.
    What is your current heating system and do you have a hot water tank?
    I would contact the manufacturers -  say Daikin & Mitsubishi and seek their advice.
  • drobindrobin Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    My current system is an electric boiler with built in tank so I will need a new tank as well. But I'm getting quotes of between £1800 and £ 2000 for the tank. I can't help thinking that all the companies are just working out what my RHI would be and charging me accordingly. It would be nice to find an installer in the nort west who didn't do this. 
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals