PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

sammy_kaye's £100 a month food budgetting

Options

Comments

• Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to post this, I'm really inspired :) and re-assured that there are people out there who are making an effort :)

I bet Ben enjoys baking with mummy, I know my DD (age 4) does, and I think it's really important for them to realise where things come from :)

I asked my DD what was in bread the other day and she told me ... water, flour, yeast, honey ..... good girl ...

I tried asking a friend of mine's son (I was playing devil's advocate) ... and he looked at me oddly and couldn't answer.

Way to go :) and good luck with growing things this year :)

I only grew tomatoes last year, but even those DD enjoyed :)
    GC - March 2024 -
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    and at 23 years of age i think im doing pretty well!!!!

You are - well done :beer: I knew you must be considerably younger than me with that font :rotfl: I'll copy it into Word tomorrow and read it fully then ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • skintscotslass
    Options
    :T :T :T

Well done Sammy!! I'm assuming there isnt a Lidl's near you? The reason I ask is that their fruit and veg is really cheap. I bought 1 kg of onions today for 20p. The red onions were the same price. I try to stick to 100 pounds per month, but its just me and DD and BF at the weekends. We dont eat that much meat and I think that lentils and beans are fab! I wish I had been as sorted as you at 23!

My Mum has an old cookbook, called 'Cooking the Goode Way' or something like that by Shirely Goode. It fab, very old style. I think you would like it. I just found her blog tonight. It'll take me ages to catch up with all her tips. For example, if she is frying eggs for 2 people, she uses 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk and saves the white. That wouldnt have occured to me.

One thing....for your lemon curd. Do you use cheaper eggs? I used free range and found it quite expensive. I'm not sure if you could make for cheaper that Tescos? Also Aldi's do a lovely jam xx
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Blimy girl, that must have taken ages!

That should be made a sticky as a starting point to those who are starting out with reducing their bill.
    It could be adapted for veggies very quickly.

Hope you have read my 'jobs to do in january' thread in the greenfingers board, you should be up and running soon with some great organic fruit and veg.

And I thought I'd done well this month reducing down from £450 to £350!

Well done:T
  • ness_w
    ness_w Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    That's an impressive list, is that really it for the whole month? No more fruit or veg during that time? My big problem in budgetting is the amount of milk, fruit and veg we get through!!!
    Well done for managing that well and getting all the cooking done too, quite an inspiration!

Ness.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Sammy ,girl that is one hell of a post :T :T :T
    I'm printing that off to add to my cooking files as there are some really great ideas in there even for an oldie like me :rotfl:
    I wish I had had just half the commonsense that you have when I was that age...my sig wouldn't be anywhere near as bad!!!!!:D :D:D
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We call it eggy bread! The kids love it. (17 & 14!) We regularly used to have 'eggy bread parties'..... when I ended up with everyone's/someone elses kids due to some local problem..... think the most was about mine plus 7/8 more. All round the table, ketchup bottle out and 2 frying pans going. Pudding whatever I could lay my hands on! Those were the days!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Sammy Kaye, I just had to post and from recalling some of your very early early posts I see you have come a long way, you go girl :T .

Now please could you come over to my house and sort me out.:D
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    do you mind posting a typical meal plan when you get 5 sam, so we can see how you stretch it all?

great thread :T
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Sammy,
    Well done for a fantastic post :T You really should be proud of yourself, I know that feeling of taking a huge batch of baking from the oven!

We're also on about 100 quid a month. I do rely on pizza dough a lot, so I figured I'd pass you my recipe. Once you make the dough you can make pizza, calzone (same pizza just folded!), ciabbatta, pull aparts etc all with the same dough. You just roll it out differently for each.

You take a sachet of easy dried yeast, a teaspoon of sugar and 250ml water, mix it up, cover it with a teatowel. This needs to sit for 15 minutes.

You put 500g plain flour and a hefty pinch of salt in a bowl, when the yeasty water's done throw it in and mix it up. You'll end up with it semi-dough like. Then you add about 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, and knead it until it's just doughy. Cover it with the same teatowel, but dampened and wait about an hour (should be in a warm place, maybe over the over when it heats up).

This much dough when rolled thinly enough makes 2 large rectangular baking tray pizzas. The trick is to top it and cook it in an oven heated to maximum temperature. Takes about 10 minutes.

I usually just spread my pizza with tom puree, cheese and throw a few toppings on. The real treat is the dough that just tastes fantastic.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport