PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Options

Comments

• Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    Value cola works on limescale! Wet some kitchen roll with said cola (17p ish a bottle), apply to the limescale and leave there for as long as poss! :grin:
  • Mazzarati2000
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, Cola is great, Malt vinegar is great for limescale too, but need to disguise the smell after!

Maz
  • Akom
    Akom Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    Skint_Catt wrote: »
    Value cola works on limescale! Wet some kitchen roll with said cola (17p ish a bottle), apply to the limescale and leave there for as long as poss! :grin:

I watched the program 'Myth busters' on the uses of Cola. They experimented with cola on all the things myths had said it was good for e.g Cleaning, dissolving teeth etc. To my amazment it was all rubbish. The only thing Cola was good for was drinking and bringing up Chrome.:confused:

IMHO the best and cheapest method to clean limescale is vinegar as suggested earlier and disguise the smell with stardrops.
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    Akom wrote: »
    I watched the program 'Myth busters' on the uses of Cola. They experimented with cola on all the things myths had said it was good for e.g Cleaning, dissolving teeth etc. To my amazment it was all rubbish. The only thing Cola was good for was drinking and bringing up Chrome.:confused:

IMHO the best and cheapest method to clean limescale is vinegar as suggested earlier and disguise the smell with stardrops.

Well if you want to tell that to the bottle I'm using he'll probably disagree with you! I wouldn't use it if it didn't work would I???????? :confused:
  • Akom
    Akom Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    If it works for you thats fantastic. (Not said sarcasticly)

However if you look at the ingredients of any Cola bottle you have to ask yourself what the active ingredient might be. If its the sugar then Lemonade would be just as good or maybe neat sugar itself.

The program i watched did look at this scientificly and they couldn't get it to work.

However, like i said at the start if it works for you then fantastic. After all there are bigger mysteries in life than this :D
  • onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    Options
    ok think i will try the vinegar , thanks
  • onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    Options
    just want to say its only because i dont like to have coke in the house send son do lally
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Tesco's limescale remover 76p does the job really well.

http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/4/xpi56631694.htm
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • loki13
    loki13 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Since limescale is calcium carbonate, the active ingredient in the cola that helps remove limescale is the acidity. Carbonated water will make carbonic acid, so I guess lemonde would work, too (lemon juice is also acidic, although I'm not sure there is much lemon juice in lemonade).

Vinegar works the same waay - ethanoic acid reacts with the calcium carbonate.
    I refuse to enter a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent:rolleyes:
  • pink_numbers
    Options
    I pour a cup of vinegar into the toilet, leave it for 15 to 30 minutes, clean the toilet (with a bicarb, vinegar and water spray), then flush everything down. Works like magic!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure