PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Options

Comments

• onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    Options
    I pour a cup of vinegar into the toilet, leave it for 15 to 30 minutes, clean the toilet (with a bicarb, vinegar and water spray), then flush everything down. Works like magic!
    gonna give this a go ta
  • Stephen_Leak
    Options
    And don't forget that you can mix 1/3 each of Stardrops, white vinegar and water in a spray bottle to make a general purpose cleaning spray.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know if you can still get it but i used to buy Citric Acid(powder form) in the chemists for doing this job, can't remember how much it was but it was rather a lot cheaper than the normal limescale removers. Worked as well as vinegar without the smell . Sorry for being so vague but i live in a nice soft water area now :j so no limescale :j
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Akom wrote: »
    I watched the program 'Myth busters' on the uses of Cola. They experimented with cola on all the things myths had said it was good for e.g Cleaning, dissolving teeth etc. To my amazment it was all rubbish. The only thing Cola was good for was drinking and bringing up Chrome.:confused:

Cola contains phosphoric acid as one of its ingredients, so will dissolve teeth and limescale :D It's a weak acd, so will be slow, but will work eventually - I've done the tooth one myself.

I'll add this thread to the existing one on toilet cleaning to keep ideas together.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • jimbugalee
    Options
    Hi all,

The old toilet in our new house is disgusting!! I've tried everything to get it clean (below the water line). Coke, bleech, toilet cleaner etc etc.

How do you get the brown/limescale stains off below the water line?

It's pretty embarassing when people visit!!

Thanks in advance.
  • L.L_2
    L.L_2 Posts: 337 Forumite
    Options
    cif and hard graft?
    Lynzie Lou :dance:
  • Twinny99
    Twinny99 Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    L.L wrote: »
    cif and hard graft?

And a long LONG rubber glove ;)
  • gilda
    Options
    Try denture cleaning tablets - 29p a pack of 30 from Wilkinsons at the moment.

Put all the tablets in the water and leave overnight.

DO NOT mix them with other cleaning agents just in case you get a chemical reaction.
  • jimbugalee
    Options
    Def not afraid of hard graft - I've been scrubbing this toilet every day for week and it still looks the same!! grrrr

oooh will try the denture cleaning tabs ... sounds like a plan and cheap :)
  • Essex-girl_2
    Essex-girl_2 Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Not tried it myself & it means you have to get nice n close to the bowl but have heard that a pumice stone can work.

If you have a look in the indexed collections or do a search Im sure it will come up - good luck :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure