We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

NST October 2026: Change

apple_muncher
apple_muncher Posts: 15,551 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
edited 3 October at 8:17AM in Debt-free wannabe challenges

Change.

Bowie said in 1972: "Turn and face the strange / Ch-ch-changes / Just gonna have to be a different man". Change is strange and difficult, but facing it is better than standing still.

It can be scary. Exciting. Avoided. Embraced.

October marks the change of the seasons into a very definite autumn, as the trees change colour and shed. Even the clocks change!

Life will always bring change, whether we are looking for it or not. We choose how to respond to it.

I'm not a great fan of change, but trying to avoid it means that my life shrinks, and I don't want that.

So this month, I choose to embrace change, in all its forms.

Change - instigate some positive ones that you will stick with.

Help others where you can. Donations. A meal deal for a homeless person. Clear your things and give them to a charity shop. Be kind to others.

Advance your goals, however big, small, easy or seemingly impossible you think they are.

NSDs are the staple of money saving, so set yourself a number (in double digits please).

Grab a bargain when you see it. That date in December will arrive before we know it, and in the 2 months before, prices will rise. They always do. So get ahead of the game, enforce 'no presents pacts'. If you plan (note that is the key word) to buy things on black Friday (or weekend, or month!), then make sure it really is cheaper.

Embrace yourself - give yourself lots of love and care.

Who will join me?

remove 7/100; read 3/10; ex 27/100; make /100; lose /10; save /1000; improve 12/100; protein 30/100
«1

Comments

  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Ooh do you mean October @apple_muncher ?

    Confused now!

  • grandmanerd
    grandmanerd Posts: 1,694 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thanks ffor this apple. Can I join, but please note my internet access is intermittent.

  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Can I join please.

    Frugal Living Challenge 2026 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,311 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    Thanks @apple_muncher Can I please be no 3.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I’d love to join please Apple.
    I retire at the end of this month so it is all change for me. Am getting into the mindset a bit in advance
    Rowan x

  • Esmeralda2662
    Esmeralda2662 Posts: 273 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Hi @apple_muncher, please can I join you all for October? Thank you x

  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Yes please @apple_muncher now I am no longer confused 😂

    I am on my own this weekend as OH has gone to an event and to see his sister. I stayed here with the dog, as neither the event, nor his sister's house is suitable for dogs. I didn't do a great deal yesterday, but slept really well last night and need to make a plan. So I am committing to doing the following:

    Prep a pineapple that is ripe and attracting fruit flies, of which we seem to have a plague at the moment. I will put the prepared pieces in a glass dish in the fridge. I have been putting it off as it is such a sticky messy job. OH usually does it, but he isn't here so I had better get on with it.

    Another load of washing and peg it out on the line. Yesterday's load mostly dried, now finishing off on the airer.

    Hoover and dust the main bedroom

    Dog walk # 2. I have done the morning one.

    Wash down the path by the gate which is messy.

    Put out the bin for collection tomorrow morning.

    For my solo meals, I am using up fridge bits. I had an odd dinner yesterday, but really enjoyed it. A fried egg on the last bit of a loaf toasted, and roasted cauliflower with leftover HM bbq sauce on the side. Sounds weird but was really delicious. I have some roasted cauliflower left so will incorporate that into a salad for today 😊 I never bother with meat when OH is away.

    I will be back later to keep myself accountable, and ensure I haven't forgotten anything - except the dog. He won't allow me to forget 😄

  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    we need food shopping today but have my trusty list and will stick to it. Meals have been batch cooked lately and we eat same thing for three days which is handy. Neither of us minds same meals. I just add chilli flakes to DH plate.
    sourced a cheaper deal for lovely dog’s sensitive food. Pleased with that.
    autumn plans include knitting jumper for one of the boys. I have the wool and saw a nice pattern on Etsy. Will be for a grandson or grand nephew depending who fits it when I finish.
    plan to try making flat breads this month never made them before but they look straightforward.
    Will also begin to look for socks and second hand books for adult Christmas gifts. My daughter did this for us all a couple of the December C word ago, splitting multi packs of socks, and it was perfect. She added a bar of choc. We do either £5 or £10 agreed amount for adults.
    The main change I am making this month is to ease up a bit pre retirement I do a meditation with a colleague every Friday afternoon and I’m wondering when I let it slip to that as I used to do this daily and started meditating 30 years ago Work is incredibly full on with more expected of us and a smaller team so I am going to see where I can realistically ease things

    Oh I’ve used the C word so will go back and change it before you read this folks x

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.