We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Want this second hand phone.
So I bought a new cheapie smart phone but it's too big and uncomfortable in my hand.
Have my eye for ages on a second hand Samsung A53 5g. Smaller and rounded edges. It fits my hand perfectly and is comfortable.
I use texts mostly, occasional calls and about 4 apps. Bus, birds, plants, stars none of which are vital or used often.
Seems as though this model should have updated enough to last me a few years. It's largely for emergency use and meeting up.
Anyone an opinion I'd be grateful. My mind is in a bit of a whorle 😊
I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
Comments
-
That phone is due to have the support ended for it sometime in 2027 so not a great long term option.
Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid1 -
The A53 5G reached the end of it's software updates last year. it will receive security updates until April next year. For your use it should be good for another year or so after that, but any longer could open it up to more vulnerabilities as time goes on.
The A53 wasn't isn't the best phone around and Samsungs small S26 is too expensive…..Have a look at the Google Pixel 8a. You'll be good until at least 2032 with that.
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
A PIRATE
Not an Alcoholic...!1 -
Rumrat, what vulnerability?
is pixel 8 fairly reliable? It's not something that seems popular. They also have some in the shop.
There's an A16 and 17 on sale in Argos but they are likely to be the square edge wide ones like I have and find really difficult. But I'll look into them when I get home tonight.
I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
0 -
The A53 is a 2022 model. Its promised Android upgrades are essentially used up and Samsung’s security support only runs to around 2027, so I would not buy one now expecting several trouble-free years. The A53 is still a fairly large phone at nearly 160mm tall with a 6.5-inch screen
If a smaller Samsung is the priority, look for a refurbished base Galaxy S24 or 2nd hand from CEX. Its 6.2-inch screen is genuinely more compact, and it has a far longer support life to 2031.
1 -
The web site GSM Arena is a good resource for checking and comparing specs, screen size, battery capaity, launch date, etc. For example:
I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1 -
What budget?
0 -
Little as possible Cisco 😉 I use it very little.
Thanks Sausage. That was going to be the next question 🙂
I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
0 -
Im looking to replace my Samsung A21s. Budget upto £200.
Was thinking of another Samsung but there numerous models so im getting bamboozled. Ideally dual sim. 128mb min. Max security and software possible as I don't want to change for a few years. Any recommendations.
0 -
Seems to me for your level of usage stick to the A53 you are considering.
Some of the other options mentioned cost getting on to twice as much (or more).
I am still using a 2019 Samsung Note 10 plus on a daily basis, where all manufacturer support ended in 2023.
However I have it loaded with Norton 360 security , app protection and VPN function ( all free as part of my Norton multi device subscription). Confidence enough with this level of protection to use it on my trips abroad.
If you do get the A53, consider adding mobile security protection. If you have a laptop with third party security there maybe a free option to add a mobile version to your phone.
In passing I never buy phones new, preferring to get flagship phone performance at knock down prices.
2 -
Consider Samsung A17 5g which should be a considerable performance upgrade over your A21, with Samsung support into 2031.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


