We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Want this second hand phone.

2»

Comments

  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 5,149 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 October at 9:47PM

    The A17 is a good call with a tight budget. Bought one for a family member a few months back and it's performing perfectly for their use, which is around the same as the OP.

    Also the A17 is due an update to the latest software (UI9), so will outlast the A53 by some margin.

    Having said that, it does have the bigger 6.7" screen that maybe not suitable for OP.

    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,336 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    While I've checked these newer models they are square edged. Add plastic case and bigger.

    The idea with my original choice is that it's 1+ cm slimmer with rounded edges so my hand fits round it.

    So some decisions to be made.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 5,273 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 1 October at 10:15PM

    I've got both a Pixel 8a as my main phone, and a Samsung A17 as a cheap keep at home phone to run apps I'd rather not have on a device that leave the house every day. Both are good for what I need them to do, with good promises of software updates until the 2030s.

    As a budget phone, I definitely notice the performance of the A17. It's noticable slow. Apps take a few seconds to load, if you have more than 2 or 3 apps open at the same time, I find that the oldest apps get closed to save memory - annoying when trying to multitask between a website and a banking app for example. But for £100 it's a fair compromise. It's also big, and I find it good for watching videos but difficult to hold/operate with 1 hand.

    Pixel 8a is another story. Small and compact, zippy, but at the upper limit of what I find comfortable to use with one hand. Compact smart phones are a bit of a rarity these days but this is probably one of the smaller ones out there these days. It's pricier, but not overly so. Solid performance and I've not had any issues with it in the 2 years I've owned it.

  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,639 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Consider putting a cheap silicon case on it rather than plastic.

    Have done this with a large angular Samsung S24 ultra titanium chassis phone ( bought to eventually replace current phone), and found the sharp corner quite intrusive. The silicon case made all the difference in softening it down.

  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,368 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited Today at 6:21PM

    I don't recommend cheap phone these days as they could be sluggish. At this moment. I would say google pixel 10a £260 from giffgaff is the best value for money if you want smaller phone, considering the software support.

    https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/google/google-pixel-10a/new

    Pay full

    Select see all plan

    Select £10 20GB monthly rolling no contact.

  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,368 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Samsung A37 £239 with possible claim of Tab 11 (purchase before 06/10/2026)

    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-a37-5g-6-128gb-graphite-4989471

  • finbaar
    finbaar Posts: 110 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    I'll said the following over on the Mobiles section regarding how Google keep phones safe via Google Play System and/or Google Play Services updates.

    "It's a fallacy that phones are particularly vulnerable once OTA updates stop. My Microsoft Surface Duo is on Android 12L and hasn't had a security patch for 3 years but both the above "apps" are up-to-date and all my banking apps still work great. I'm not saying that new exploits do not become live in the world but Google has done a reasonable job to protect devices outside the OTA update route."

    So basically the smaller A53 5g, if you can get it very cheap' would be absolutely fine and you'd have no issues with security.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.