We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Inadvertent payment on Barclaycard Rewards with 0% balance outstanding
I have an unexpected charge on my Barclaycard Rewards card from Google Wallet (details here). It's a nuisance because I have a 0% balance transfer running with some time to go on that card - and I have avoided using it for any purchases (or advances). Obviously I want to avoid any interest charges. The 1% minimum payment next month will more than cover the unexpected purchase charge. Looking at the T&Cs I think that just allowing the minimum payment should be sufficient…
How we allocate payments
If a payment you make is less than your total outstanding
balance as shown on your statement, we’ll use it as follows:
• If you have any instalment plans on your account, to
make any instalment plan payments due for that month.
• To reduce your main balance (your statement balance
less any instalment plan balance). We’ll start with the
balances charged at the highest interest rate first and
then reduce the lower-rate balances. If you have more
than one promotional balance at the same interest rate,
we’ll use your payment to reduce the balance with the
promotional rate that ends first.
• If you have any instalment plans on your account, to
reduce any remaining instalment plan balance. If you
have more than one instalment plan, we’ll use your
payment to reduce the instalment plan that ends first.
Anyone have any experience of this situation?
Comments
-
If it was a card that you just intended to hold a transferred balance on and not use for spending, why did you add it to your Google Wallet?
0 -
I have used it in the past for travel and cashback so it was already in Google Wallet. I did not expect any contactless transactions to be applied to the card, still don't understand how that happened. Yes I should probably have removed it, and I have done so now!
I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1 -
You have taken one part of the t&cs out of context, that only states which bits will be paid off first and higher interest bits must be paid first by regulation. What does the "interest free period" section, probably the most important bit, state ?
My BC terms state as below (my bolding)
Interest free period
Maximum 57 days from date of transaction for any new transactions that have been added
to your account since your last statement, if you pay your balance, excluding any
promotional balances, in full and on time each month.which means no interest would be charged as long as you pay enough to cover the purchases / total balance minimum payment amount.
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
1 -
My wording is the same, so my takeaway is that in my case making the minimum payment will suffice (because that's more than my surprise purchase).
I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
Lloyds is the same, as long as you pay off the purchase in full then it doesn't effect the BT.
Worked well it's a good way to eek out a bit more as the balance doesn't decrease, but a mistake could be costly.Let's Be Careful Out There1 -
You can mix purchases and balance transfers with a Barclaycard. Just make sure the purchase is paid off in full, or is covered by the minimum payment. Also make sure you wait until the purchase is statemented before paying it off.
I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?1 -
There is another recent post somewhere, that I can't see at the moment, discussing google wallet payments coming from an unexpected card.
There may be gremlins in the system…..
1 -
-
Thanks - I see the OP has contributed to that thread, so is already aware of it…
1 -
Pay the required min amount + the google pay charge + a couple of £ extra. once it is all statemented.
Life in the slow lane0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



