We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
UC review (Again)
I seem to have one of these UC reviews again my last one was around late 2024 is this usual to have two reviews within this period, anyways I’m not too fussed as I’m guessing it’s just regular thing they do but I’m a little concerned regarding a payment I received into my account from a friend, it was a rather large payment but was being sent to help me with a debt I had at the time which was getting out of control so this payment was spent towards clearing the majority of this, will a UC review agent think badly of this and will it cause me an issue or should it not be a problem, I’m a bit of a worrier and just need some assurances that this shouldn’t be a issue, I hope. Thanks.
Comments
-
If it went in and out within the same assessment period there is no problem.
The only way it would be a problem is if it took your capital (savings) over £6,000 at the end of the assessment period in which you received it, or if your savings were above that, if any of the money stayed in your account at the end of that assessment period. If so, there'll be a proportional overpayment based on how much over £6k it took your savings and for how many assessment periods. Absolute worst-case scenario there'd be a £50 fine on top for not notifying them of your savings above the £6k threshold.
If it took your savings above £16,000 at the end of any assessment period then it is a bit of a bigger problem and others will have to confirm here, but I believe similarly you'll just have to pay back the UC you weren't entitled to; and after paying off debt you'd become entitled to it again and can continue claiming.
1 -
Some people haven't had one review. Others seem to get them every year. I had one September 2023 and am currently going through my second.
0 -
I believe that occasionally banks and other departments—like HMRC—send information to DWP banks via the portal after evaluating the data. Online sales raise a lot of concerns or job changes. But overall I think the bank bots do the flagging. Especially if there's unexpected changes
0 -
I think they're AI driven… risk assessed and the more likely claimants for incorrect payment flagged for review.
Gift to pay off debt…. if in same assessment period spent should remove any potential problems.
"Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack0 -
Yes, selection for review is AI driven. AI is able to analyse huge amounts of data that simply wasn't possible before. To get a sense of scale for this, look at the 'old' HMRC Connect system which reportedly holds and analyses over 55 billion data points on over 40 million of us. I say 'old' as development is moving forward at pace.
DWP are doing huge amounts of work with HMRC to further develop and enhance automated fraud detection and systems, however these systems (at least for DWP) are currently still at the stage that they then require human investigation, hence the UC Reviews. This has now also extended to include pensioners receiving state pension and/or pension credit who are failing to correctly declare their circumstances.
This does not mean that every case flagged for review is fraud or suspected fraud, simply that the system has identified high risk that needs to be investigated, such as the case herein where a claimant has received a large payment which has not been declared, and the explanation may be perfectly innocent (e.g, used to pay off debt) but equally could have been fraud (e.g, received a large payment and then tried to conceal those monies).
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.1 -
Thanks for the replies all I’m glad to know that having a review as often as I am is quite normal, what I can’t remember the last time I had one was if my phone appointment was before or after I sent in the bank statements, as this time they have scheduled a call with me before my cut off deadline to send in bank statements, is this normal as I’d have thought they would want the statements before having any kinda chat with me?.
0 -
Mine wasn't booked until they had my statements.
Let's Be Careful Out There0 -
As far as banks go it will be someone reporting that they believe a false claim is being made. As it is easy to see all linked accounts, & realising that some accounts may not being reported such as large balance on a savings acc, while claiming certain benfits.
Life in the slow lane0 -
I'm pretty sure it's an automated process rather than a person, given the scope of what is required of the banks under the legislation it would be far too labour intensive.
From reading the Fraud Error and Recovery Bill my understanding is that the DWP provide the data of whoever is in receipt of means tested benefits to banks and the banks have to collate all accounts matching that data, if those accounts breach certain conditions laid out by DWP the banks are required to flag them and share basic information with the DWP. Things like name, DoB, account no and sort code. Banks will not share the actual account balances.
The complete list of conditions has not been made public but two examples the DWP have given when banks will flag accounts to the DWP are when the balance of an account (or the total of multiple accounts held in the same banking group) breach a certain capital threshold and if the bank has data to show an account holder has been abroad for longer than the threshold allowed for the specific benefit(s) they claim. Once flagged a claimant may be subject to a manual review by DWP.
2 -
Should it be a comcern of mine then that they are calling me before actually getting any bank statements or has this happened to anyone else before and it wasn’t an issue, like I say I can’t remember what order it happened to me before?. Thanks.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


