We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Worrying slowdown in the sales Heat Pumps in 2026
Comments
-
£13K sounds bonkers! Our HG Heat Pump replacement cost is ~£5K (no cylinder) with the 10KW aroTherm plus and the 400% SCOP guarantee (which I recommend to everyone). I'm pretty confident I will be able to get this amount reduced as we will not need 8 replacement radiators and may just get away with the 7KW heat pump instead.
Have you received a quote from Octopus to compare?
- 10 x 400w LG Bifacial + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial + 2 x 570W SHARP Bifacial + 5kW SolarEdge Inverter + SolarEdge Optimizers. SE London.
- Triple aspect: ENE (2.7 kWp), WSW (3.3 kWp), SSE (2.4 kWp)
- Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (The most efficient gas boiler sold)Feel free to DM me for help with any form of energy saving! Happy to help!0 -
I submitted an online enquiry to Octopus for a heat pump but my house apparently fell outside their criteria so no quote.
Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kWwest facing panels , 3.6 kWeast facing), Solis inverters installed 2018, 5kW SSE facing system (shaded in afternoon) added in 2025 with Tesla PW3 battery, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted A2A Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner.0 -
Yes,I just had my heat pump serviced by 🐙 and my guy said they're flat out booked up. My Facebook group is full of people waiting for installations so maybe the numbers will pick up?
That Ecotricity guy has been lobbying like a crazy against them with all kinds of fictions which is weird for an otherwise Green guy except he invested millions in biofuels… 🤔
However, the loss of ECO4 is crap because of the low income groups. My heat pump costs me less to run without any solar or batteries than my gas boiler did before - this needs better promotion.
Also, a lot of people have become worried about their finances because of the craziness in the middle east - look how depressed the housing market is right now.
I was just in Sweden and heat pumps are everywhere but the government still does public information campaigns (remember those? ). Also they have really pushed for energy consumption to be at the top of the label for electric products so you can compare energy use between things.
They brought in heat pump tumble driers. First they funded the research, then tested them in the market for a couple of years then just banned every other kind of tumble dryer outright. No messing.
2 -
the government still does public information campaigns (remember those? ).
The UK government ihas been running one for a few years about smart meters. Surely you've seen or heard them?
However, the loss of ECO4 is crap because of the low income groups.
The replacement scheme:
... is up and running. There have been a couple of threads on the Energy forum from people who have successfully applied and have benefitted from it.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.1 -
Have you actually had the 3 quotes? Because it doesn't sound like it.
I had a dead gas boiler too but I don't have any skills or strength to do my own plumbing or pipework but I made sure I learned about heat pumps and I did my own heat loss survey alongside the ones that were in the quotes. I geeked out a wee bit. But I wanted a super efficient system. 😁
Mine cost £4000 after the BUS + £450 for an aluminium designer radiator I had put in by my own plumber. Mine replaced a gas boiler and included replacing all the radiators which were ancient, a Daikin heat pump and 180litre water tank and the indoor /outdoor temp monitors and controllers. It also included removing everything and capping off the gas. Servicing is £90 a year.
My 3 quotes all came in pretty much the same +/- a few radiators. 2 were from big energy companies and one was a Heat Geek independent.
As a woman who has no heating engineer skills I found that radiators are relatively cheap (except fancy ones or K3) it's labour that costs.
My installation took 4.5 days of 2 guys + a spark. They worked their socks off.
I run it without thermostats so it is controlled by the outside weather and the leaving water temperature - it purrs along all by itself.
It costs less and heats better than my gas system without any solar or batteries or fancy tariff. It's on 24/7 from October to April/May and heats water all summer. Although it cost more to install than a gas boiler it is paying it back in low running cost. I love the evenness of the heat and my house isn't even very well insulated - the walls are patchy. It's a no brainer.
2 -
They seem to be fully booked out - there's long waiting lists. They are adding Grant heat pumps for high end installations on top of their Daikins and their own Cosy model too so I think it's more likely the ECO4 scheme closing and not enough public information.
The Visit A Heat Pump Scheme is good for people who want to see one in action and talk to owners - there's hundreds all over the country
1 -
I've had a quote for £11,750 on top of the £7,500 grant for a heat pump installation from Heat Geek, for which I would end up with a lesser system than my current ageing gas boiler and also lose a chunk of my patio to locate the outdoor unit.
As for any reductions in demand, perhaps it could be that the available pool of people who have good space to fit one and a compliant house may be reducing and so situations like mine are not such a slam-dunk.
I did have an A2A system install ordered for installation in June, but the supplier let me down, so I've stepped away and will consider trying again once the surge in demand due to the Summer heatwaves has abated.
1 -
Warm Homes scheme is replacing Eco4 but the funding is spread out over three years and depends on postcode as to how quickly it will be done, not sure if the funding is ramping up as we go forward or an even spread each year. A simple boiler replacement done by a one-man gas-safe engineer can be well under two grand, BTW, without all the layers needed for an MCS A2W install (it is a government grant so open to fraud so lots of checks have to be done, to be fair). Increasing taxes on gas boilers and decreasing heat pump prices should help things even out eventually. A2A grant is more theoretical than anything else as the cost of MCS probably absorbs the whole amount,
1 -
A2A grant is more theoretical than anything else as the cost of MCS probably absorbs the whole amount,
I've just drafted a letter to send round for a quote for A2A where I make it plain that I am not seeking the grant and wanted to avoid MCS certification..
1 -
Is there an A2A system which will heat water to 70C (the same as my gas boiler)?
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

