We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Horizon- Court Date next week- Defence and Advice
Comments
-
Total sums will be on the judgment that will come in the post.
Bad luck mate. It was already a tricky one because I'm sorry to say the signs were pretty clear, so we had to resort to other arguments. It's a lottery - just the fact they didn't turn up would have automatically be a loss for them elsewhere. SW judges do seem to be quite poor. The £70 obviously shows she doesn't grasp the law, which is like a roofer who can't roof.
You gave it a good go by the sounds of it, so be proud of yourself.4 -
Seems its £114 out but I am going to ask for the order!
1 -
THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS:
SCHEDULE OF LOSSES
1. Judgment in the sum of £80.00, being the principal debt due and owing to the Claimant, comprising
the £70.00 parking charge expressly stipulated on the contractual signage displayed at the site,
together with the further £10.00 administrative charge clearly referenced within the Final Reminder
issued to the Defendant.
2. The additional costs of £70.00 or such other amount as the court considers fair and reasonable up to a
maximum of £70 given the circumstances of the case.
3. Any additional costs incurred by the Claimant to date.
4. The Claimant also seeks interest at 8% or some other such rate as deemed appropriate by the Court,
pursuant to Section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984.
Dated ** September 2026CLAIMENT: Horizon Parking
Claim No. *******
Defendant - Edvance Guy
Amount Claimed: £166.55
Court Fee: £35.00
Solictor Costs: £50.00
Total Amount: £251.55
Claim Date **/11/2025
2 -
£166.55 = £80 principal (£70 charge + £10 admin) + £70 additional costs + £16.55 interest.
£16.55 is 8% on £150 from 5/7/24 to issue, 503 days.
So the £70 additional costs and interest to issue are already inside the £166.55.
Judgment:£166.55 + £70 + £50 + £35 + £27 = £348.55
Remainder £44.14£44.14 is 8% on £251.55 for 801 days. 5/7/24 to hearing.
Six faults:- £70 additional costs awarded twice. Once inside £166.55, once on top.
- 8% applied. She stated 4%.
- Interest charged on the £35 court fee and £50 solicitors. s.69 doesn't run on costs.
- Interest run twice over July 24 to Nov 25. Once in the £16.55, again in the £44.14.
- £10 struck out but still sitting inside the £166.55.
- Interest charged on that struck £10.
On her own rulings it should be:£70 + £70 + £35 + £50 + £27 = £252
Interest at 8% on £140 for 801 days = £24.58, total £276.58
At the 4% she stated = £12.29, total £264.29
Ordered £392.69. Overcharged £116 to £128 (8% v 4% interest).
Needs checking against the order. I tried to upload a PDF but that's not allowed.I'm a random person on the internet. I hold no legal qualifications and nothing I say is advice.
8 -
Judges figures I wrote down:
PNC 70.00
PENALTY in her mind £70.00
Court fee £35.00
trail fee £27.00
Interest as she worked out one assumes on the total amount £140.69!!!
thats how she got to 392.69
I am trying on the phone to get an email copy of the order, anyone got any further advice?
Spoke to national courts hotline telling me it could be 6 weeks till the judgement lands!
Said I can email the local court but no guarantee they will respond faster.
I was directed to leaflet EX340. Any advice I want to settle in 14 days and get judgement set aside.
1 -
This judge is a fcking liability. Sounds like she was a junior in a back street solicitors this time last year.
4 -
I agree it what I do from here…?
She said the 'well known retailer would not have put up signs on land without the land owner authority', that wouldn't happen I am happy on the balance of probabilities they have LOA, despite me having proof the land is not owned by said retailer, purely because they are a house hold name they have standing.
She also stated that they could could have the second £70 due even though the contract does not expressly mention it, even calling it a 'Penalty' for not settling the matter earlier!! She did strike out the £10 as not basis for it.
How she worked out interest of £15.00 to £140.69, I will never no, I did raise it and she said yes I will double check you can leave now.
Have emailed the court I have 30 days I belive to get the judgement set aside and not entered against. The central court number said there is a back log and can take 6 weeks! They have no details of the judgement just the debt of 166.55.
I was guided to leaflet EX340, was the only advice.
0 -
Plenty of points to appeal if you ask me.
The reasons given surrounding landowner authority show a total misunderstanding (by the Judge) of the requirements and that misjudgement has clearly led to an error in the final judgement.
It rather seems to me that the Judge was rushed in as cover on what initially looked like a simple hearing. However, on closer examination, the matters at hand were far more complex than first thought and this appears to have blindsided the Judge - that led her to make numerous 'assumptions' rather than a precise examination of the evidence and the laws which would apply.
5 -
You wont get it set aside unless you appeal it, at your cost I believe
Plus I believe that you would have to pay for a Transcript of the judgment, by an approved transcription service, in order to appeal it ( and fairly quickly )
You then appeal it based on the contention that the judge erred in law , if you want to go down that path
But IANAL, most people who come here aren't lawyers, just lay helpers
As its no longer a parking charge matter, but litigation, you really need to seek legal advice from maybe SAZ solicitors or from Contestor Legal ( possibly Jackson Yamba. ? )
3 -
Are you able to get legal advice from a car insurance policy, or home insurance policy, or through membership of a trade union?
4
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards




