We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Powerbank

1235

Comments

  • RavingMad
    RavingMad Posts: 917 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I think Lidl are currently selling a powerbank for a tenner.

  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    They do -certainly Apple and Samsung do ,however they are often priced such that a reputable 'other' brand unit is half the price

  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 48,008 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I am definitely happy with the Belkin. It's given 4 charges quite happily. It sits snug to the phone and charges rapidly. Being able to see how much charge is left is reassuring.

    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,750 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    So, I have received the Belkin powerbank but I can't seem to get it to charge my phone.

    There are not really any instructions, just a pictorial showing the powerbank plugged into a USB-C and then plugged into the phone. There is a small button on the unit which does not seem to do anything.

    I understood the device arrived pre-charged so I tried to charge my phone using the built-in lead. The phone started charging but moment later bleeped and the "charged to xx%" displayed as the phone stopped charging.

    So I charged the power bank using the built in lead. There are four lights that displayed sequentially across until all four displayed. Then I tried again to charge the phone but the same result.

    So I charged the power bank using the second port and a separate lead. Tried to charge the phone again. Same result.

    The powerbank could be faulty. I think it is just as likely a faulty operator.

  • RavingMad
    RavingMad Posts: 917 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 19 September at 8:21AM

    Sounds like a duff one. Have you tried charging anything else?

    The lights are probably battery indicator IE 25/50/75/100 % The button when pressed, probably displays the number of lights lit up

    If the built in cable doesn't charge anything, I'd return it regardless even if a separate cable did.

  • 531063
    531063 Posts: 308 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Try charging the phone without the power bank being charged at the same time and see if that works

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,750 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I don't charge the phone with the power bank being charged at the same time. That seems to defeat the objective of a power bank.

    This morning, I have charged the powerbank using a standard cable and all four of the little lights are illluminated so I think that means the powerbank is fully charged.

    So, I unplugged the powerbank.

    My phone is at 61% charged, so I plugged the powerbank into the phone with the built in cable. Both sat stationary on the desk. The phone flashed "charging" and then immediately "charged to 60%" and no longer charging.

    I pressed the button on the power bank, the four lights illuminated briefly. The phone flashed "charging" and then "charged to 60%" stopped charging. Did this twice. Now nothing.

    I can't test the powerbank to charge the phone from the plug port on the power bank as I don't have a small to small (USB 'c' to 'c' ?) cable. They might have one in Tesco when I go out in a bit.

  • outtatune
    outtatune Posts: 897 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Are you sure it's not charging to 80% rather than 60%? My G84 stops charging at that point to extend the battery life.

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,750 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    No, the phone doesn't charge at all.

    Yesterday, it flashed "charged to 21%" then stopped

  • RavingMad
    RavingMad Posts: 917 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    So you spend more money on a cable to discover that works. What then? Carry on using it that way? Why, when you can get it replaced with one of that works as designed

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.