We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Powerbank
Comments
-
I've got an Asda branded 20 Ah (20,000 mAh) power bank. It's a bit of a brick (almost 3x as thick as my Moto phone, and significantly heavier) but it does the job.
A couple of times I have run to very low and been conscious of managing battery towards the end of the day
A typical mobile phone has a 5 Ah battery (5,000 mAh) so mine should be capable of charging a phone from flat four times. In practice it's a bit less than that but it's still three and a bit times.
For your purpose a 10 Ah power bank should be sufficient; Mrs QrizB has one that size and I don't recall her needing more than that. You might even be happy with the 5 Ah one that's been mentioned. I only went bigger because the extra cost was small.
So, can I just buy this from Amazon and it'll do the job?
As others have said, unbranded power banks are a bit of a wild west. I wouldn't buy that particular one. Mine came from a supermarket but if I was buying online I'd look for Anker, Belkin, or one of the other recognisable brands.
What are the 20,000 mAh powerbanks at £50, £75, £100 or more doing that the one above won't do?
The expensive ones typically offer much higher outputs. Ones with USB-PD can often charge a laptop, for example. This isn't necessary for charging a phone.
If you travel by air check the latest limits on capacity, both at airports and your preferred airlines.
The limit for air travel is 100 watt-hours, which for the usual 3.7 volt power banks is 27 Ah (27,000 mAh).
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
Don't leave it plugged in unattended!
0 -
For charging your phone during the day, a 10000mah battery will do the job. Amazon do loads. Pick one with decent ratings and you'll be fine
0 -
There didn't seem to be much between the Anker and the Belkin units so I ordered the Belkin and saved the cost of a coffee 😊
Thanks to all for the advice and information.
2 -
Say the built in power cable gets damaged can you still charge it and charge a phone with it ?
0 -
you can on mine - just use the cat A adapter instead although it could be a bit slower. You couldn’t charge the power bank and the phone through it at the same time, but you shouldn’t be doing that anyway.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.0 -
I don't know - it has not arrived yet. I suspect that Elsien's response would be fairly generic to most of these devices.
I guess, ultimately, having gone for a £15 rather than a £50 or more option, if the device got damaged I can replace (twice) and still claim a "win".
0 -
Ref re your use of What3Words - have you looked at the recently release "pro version" may save some time /battery use .
0 -
W3W PRO has a monthly subscription which I was hoping to avoid.
0 -
Do you have to use W3W at all? It's a shonky system with well-known flaws and shortfalls.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

