We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.Autumnal Achieving
Comments
-
I've just had that email Brie. I might wait until the electricians have finished in my office so I can go in there to procrastinate :)
Draft kitchen floor plan done. So need to go to the showroom for my preferred supplier tomorrow and see about getting a price. Also need to hoover up after the builders (rubbish at hoovering) and measure in the utility room to finalise plan in there.
6 -
Switched my card balance to a zero percent with a balance transfer..
4 -
Fabulous work everyone 👏
I try to do my tax return in April every year in case I've misjudged the amount put aside, then at least I've got until January to find the rest!
Hand washed a jumper. This may not sound very impressive but I will genuinely not wear something for actual years rather than get round to hand washing it so feeling pretty smug 😂
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6466032/an-in-between-phase/p1
'aggressive safety shot' Ken Doherty5 -
Another huge car load of shed junk taken to the tip this afternoon, including a large metal bucket thing (the sort you might see on the front of a tractor! I have no idea why Mr Unruly had that). Thankfully the lads at the recycling centre are super helpful (I’ve been going so frequently that we are all on first name terms now, and I took them ice lollies on very hot days) and they took all the heavy bits out of the car and into the metals skip for me without even needing to be asked.
My next job is to sweep the paving slabs that were under the old shed, and to make sure they are firm and level (I have builders sand and a large spirit level) before the new shed arrives. I’m also going to pin thick tarpaulins over the vegetable garden which is now clear of nettles and leave it like that over winter, hopefully to smother any new weed growth. Those are both my jobs for this weekend.
5 -
I am publicly announcing that I am using my annual leave day on Monday to do an epic tip run. So that means some of the weekend needs to involve clearing out some stuff from the shed. I'm not deluded enough to think I'll do it all so I'll settle for some.
I also have Tuesday off and will be going for a nice lunch so no need to feel sorry for me 😄
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
CC1 £14,122.71 -
CC2 - £6,975
CC3 £6,112.60 £6,495
1st Direct CC £176.03 £151.44
CC total £20,411.34 £13,621.44
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,400
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £3,825
Total £36,195.78 £19,846.44
EF £2,800
HF £3
EB £2505 -
I have POAs but my 91 year old mother has consistently refused to make them, which caused major problems when she had a medical crisis earlier this year. Now in residential care, a much more wealthy than me sibling is paying the fees because Mum’s accessible savings have already been exhausted. Mum refuses to agree to her house being sold and now has a diagnosis of moderate to severe Alzheimer’s. We are lucky in that the sibling can afford to maintain Mum’s fees but the future is uncertain as sibling is in a partnership where they have signed up to a retirement age, happening in 2 years. The maintenance and insurance issues with the now empty house which can’t be sold or let without Mum’s agreement which she doesn’t have capacity to give are causing us all anxiety. And don’t get me started on the ‘simplification’ (being kind) of the contents required before the house could be marketed. It is sad to say that all of the drama attached to the situation has been hard for us three retired or close to retirement children. Mum has always insisted on her way or no way and we are used to that. Be kind to your children and yourself and get those POAs and Wills done!
My tax return has been prepared but needs amending so still not filed. One OAT morphs into another OAT, sigh.
7 -
Finally went back to the gym last night! It was quite hard - I actually felt quite anxious and a little sick but it all slotted into place when I got there and the woman who runs it remembered me, which surprised me 😊
KK
As at 26.09.26:
- When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
- OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
c. 17 months reduction in term
Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030
Read 70 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 1st October.
Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.Watch your actions, they become your reality.7 -
I half-completed one of the tasks scheduled for the weekend (so I’m ahead of myself, hurrah!). I pinned the Poundshop tarpaulins over the empty vegetable garden (they are only cheap tarps, but they’ll be fine as weed suppressant over the winter) but didn’t have anywhere near enough, so I have ordered a couple of heavier-weight 5m x 5m ones from Amazon plus extra metal staples to anchor them down. That all arrives on Sunday.
I then made a start on clearing the pantry, I have way too many cake tins and roasting dishes so I have started sorting those into bags for a charity shop run at the weekend.
4 -
Booked out 30 minutes this afternoon to sort out some niggly things that were becoming frogs:
- Booked the old cat in at the vets for a free blood test.
- Renewed a magazine subscription I had cancelled and got a good deal.
- Changed my appointment with Pension Wise to a day I'm working from home rather than in the office.
- Finally managed to create an account on the work pension portal after several failed attempts - although had to use an email address I rarely use as it wouldn't let me use my usual one 🤔It remains to be seen whether I'll be able to log into said account - anyone who has a Civil Service Pension will know what I'm talking about. What a 🤬it is since Cr@pita took over the administration.
On the list to start in September is a good declutter of the house starting with the bedroom. We're having quite a bit of decorating done next week so it may have to wait until late September.
I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping) -.literally have been run over by a bike, mobility scooter and a car - still here 💪4 -
Remembered a task just in time! Our bbq died a few months back and by luck I was able to get one of the last display models at the local garden centre at a good discount as they are currently swapping their outdoor living display to the winter festival seasonal one. And they will be delivering it too!
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅5
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards




