We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.Autumnal Achieving
Comments
-
Well done with your couple of recent raffle wins, think you should do the lottery, you never know.
:j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.004 -
I only seem to win £1 on the lottery.🙄
2 -
It must be like saying goodbye to an old friend!!
I exercised a lot yesterday so elected to relax with a G&T on the patio last night rather than make progress on my holes, but I did water them to make the next excavation easier. Perhaps I shouldn't have bothered, its really wet today and will stay that way until late afternoon.
No man is worth crawling on this earth.
So much to read, so little time.2 -
@leftatthetrafficlights toilet bombs???
@KajiKita - waist half one's height? so that means I should be 7'8" tall…..
- Need to finish sorting out my last work pension…a work in progress waiting for the requotes to come back for an enhanced annuity. Hope to have that done by December.
- Discussed with him indoors about us getting a cleaner and he's said let's give ourselves a month to get the place in order and then discuss again which is fair enough. In reality I think that means that I will be trying to tidy/clean while nagging him to help. Now don't get me wrong, he's very good at cleaning when he does it but simply doesn't see the mess and doesn't see that leaving garbage on the kitchen counter doesn't help. I will be pointing out that I am not a house elf.
- Also discussed getting POAs which is one step towards getting wills. Given his poor health generally and the fact that while married we have different names I don't want to get into any hassles with the NHS or whomever should decisions need to be made. Finance is less of an issue for me as I've access to everything though we still need to sort things including getting his mom's bank accounts closed in under 5 years after she died. And getting me joint on his accounts.
- Discuss with the gardener about finishing the work on the border that I'd wanted done this summer. It started well but then the gardener stopped coming and would just send his assistant who needs too much direction. 1 really hard day would get things mostly done and another afternoon of planting new bushes would do it.
- Sort out the plant pots so that the last of the summer plants go in (!!yes!!) and they are also ready for all the spring bulbs.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅5 -
Definitely get POAs if likely to have to deal with the NHS. Admittedly it is over 10 years ago but our mother was in hospital for a fortnight & we visited every day. Then we discovered they were going to send her to a care home & were refusing to tell us where it was as we had no right to know. The POA sorted that out, but it just shows what can happen.
3 -
Bit more of the big clean done. I am now up to The Appliances
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6466032/an-in-between-phase/p1
'aggressive safety shot' Ken Doherty3 -
we had a similar thing happen in that MiL was admitted to hospital and we were given the serious talk by a surgeon. He said as MiL didn't have a POA he didn't need to talk to us or ask our opinion but he had decided to anyways as MiL was, at that time, nonresponsive. In the end surgery wasn't required and MiL recovered (as well as a 90+yo can) and so all was ok.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅3 -
An ACP is advisable for exactly the same reason. And for heavens sake make sure both your nearest and dearest have a copy.
No man is worth crawling on this earth.
So much to read, so little time.1 -
Afternoon OAT-loving pals. I am late to the party but pleased to see you are all making progress. I did my POAs a couple of years ago, very relieved. My mum did the same. Mr C has not yet followed suit (we too are married with different names) - I will encourage again when the time is right.
Just popping in to report I've just sent THREE text messages I'd been putting off:
1. To the plumber, to tell him we got a different plumber to fit the boiler 😬
2. To the garage whose car we test drove last week, telling him we don't want it 😬
3. To the electrician, to tell him we can wait til he's back from his holidays. He may have been trying to fob me off, but if he was he can just say that in plain words 😬
Obviously I couldn't 'see' any of those things but they were taking up mental space. And obviously they took less than 60 seconds for all three 🙈😬😂😂
4 -
Had a timely email from HMRC to suggest I do my tax self assessment now rather than wait til January.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅3
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards





