We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Very hot CPU on laptop.
Comments
-
I've installed the HP device support, and it's upgrading the bios - I'm hoping that might introduce the feature where I can control the cooling,/CPU power, which is currently not available.
But I'm being hampered by another weird symptom - whenever I hover the mouse arrow over, say, a 'click' or selection point, the screen goes black. Move the mouse, and it comes back on.
Any obvious cause for that? A restart usually sorts it, tho' it often comes back.
0 -
I still think liquid has got into the laptop at some point as you mentioned the screen flickering and going off and now the mouse arrow playing up
Is it a wired mouse or the touch pad part that has issues?
With all the issues that you have had trying to fix or reset the laptop I would just tell the person who owns it to get another one as this laptop has issues and will continue to have them.
As mentioned before on here too much thermal paste is bad.
1 -
Thanks.
It was a freebie, so no great loss.
Yup, looks like I'm at the end of my abilities on this. The bios update didn't add any new features like throttling down the CPU, so unless there's another way, that route is out too.
Hey-ho - annoying as it's immaculate. I guess sell with its known issue, or for parts.
0 -
It's annoying when you spend all that time trying to fix things and it's still not working 100% but at least your learning along the way.
Not sure what price laptop for parts are on the bay but that's an option.
I you have a repair shop type thingy run by volunteers near you that's another option but I have never used anything like that before.
1 -
The heat pipe working and the heat pipe working optimally aren't necessarily the same though, those temps still look too high to me, whether it's due to the CPU being hammered by something or a poor heating solution.
1 -
Temperature sensors aren't particularly reliable on some laptops, as they tend to be custom solutions for each manufacturer as opposed to an off the shelf standard design you find in desktop PC's.
As the OP's laptop has the standard copper heat-pipe dissipation method of cooling which is quite common on many laptops, its quite plausible the vented side (by the fans looking at the picture posted first) is blocked.
0 -
The insides are immaculately clean. I removed the fan, checked it for cleanliness - and it was, completely.
But, yes, for the low cost, it may be worth trying another copper thingy as JSmithy suggests.
0 -
I don't recall suggesting that ;)
If you can get it cheap enough you could try it although I wouldn't bother with a 2nd hand one myself.
1 -
This is for sale but not sure if it's ok for your laptop.
1 -
Edited:: 😁
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards