We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Very hot CPU on laptop.
Comments
-
Depending on what type of ram OP needs that could cost nearly as much as the laptop is worth 😂
DDDr5 prices are horrendous and DDR4 prices are rocketing up in the past month.
Also the pipe near to the fan that OP is on about looks like rust build up to me?
0 -
Thanks, RM. Only one RAM stick slot, but 8GB is plenty for this lappie, I think. It cannot possibly be due to a lack of RAM.
MMMUK, yes, I checked it by placing the CPU end in very hot water, and the tube almost instantly became untouchable to half way down, and right down to the opposite end after 20 seconds or so. It's clearly working fine - amazing things!
What's bizarre is how quickly the CPU and mobo heats up. I had left it on for a good while to 'update' if it wanted to, and then closed the lid - the lappie went to sleep and was reasonably cool. Lifted lid, opened speccy, and the temp jumped for ~50-odd to over 80 in a couple of seconds.
It then started doing the flickering display issue too - the display would go black as soon as I moved the mouse around, so I couldn't even shut down the laptop.
Under the cooling tube heatsink there were two shiny-topped processors, a large one and a smaller one beside it. One is obvs the CPU, what's the other? Separate graphics?
0 -
No, it's clean. I thought it had copper tarnish, too, but I've looked at it closely and it's clean.
And, it works.
0 -
Under the cooling tube heatsink there were two shiny-topped processors, a
large one and a smaller one beside it. One is obvs the CPU, what's the
other? Separate graphics?Not sure what it may be without searching.
However i5 chips have Intel integrated graphics onboard so don't usually need a separate GPU unless it a gaming or video editing spec. laptop; (in which case it would probably have had more RAM fitted as standard).
1 -
Look at this vid and about 7.45 in he mentioned the other chip as a pcs or pch chip but I couldn't quite get what he said.
Its about reapplying thermal paste and it may be of use to you.
1 -
Platform Controller Hub (PCH), handles a lot of the external inputs such as USB, wifi, bluetooth and audio for example.
1 -
Interesting indeed. I went the 'manufacturers' way, and applied a sizeable dollop… 😔
I am pretty sure it isn't that issue in any case, as the cooper tube does - pretty instantly - become hot too, and transfers the heat away from the CPU.
0 -
Too much can have a very detrimental effect, there should be just enough to fill the micro pits in the interface between the two (or three in this case). That heating solution looks very susceptible to being distorted or even bent out shape by the way which would have huge impact on temps.
1 -
Eek!
Tbh, I really doubt it's a (lack of) thermal conductivity issue, as the heat isn't localised, but travels down the cooling pipe near-instantly.
There was plenty of paste on the original, which was cleaned up and replaced. I struggle to see how this can be the issue. And, as before, the cooling tube works as it should.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
