We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Very hot CPU on laptop.
Comments
-
Have you tried renewing the paste between the CPU and heat sink?
We had a number of HP laptops at work overheating because the heat sink compound had dried out.
0 -
Remove McAfee, Windows Defender is perfectly good without hogging resources.
Download and install HP Support Assistant and run the check for BIOS and driver updates.
1 -
There was plenty paste when I removed it, but - yes - I cleaned it up and added new.
It wasn't this in any case, as the CPU heat was getting transferred to the cooling tube effectively - it was all hot!
0 -
Cheers. Yes, I did that (removed Maafee). As you say, completely unnecessary, and it would soon start to pester you for renewal/upgrades too.
0 -
Thanks - I'll try the HP support download, see what it says. Cheers.
0 -
Thanks for that.
So I'll fire it up regularly, and let it run and do any updates it needs to.
0 -
Sounds like a plan,
As I said above it may just be Windows Updates, scans, etc. if the machine hasn't been switched on for a while.
(I've got a Win10 laptop that was off for about a year and it took a several hours and a couple of restarts before it had done all it needed to get up to date and stop churning away in the background).I'd let yours sit switched on but not in use for a few hours, then do a Restart and let it sit again.
Hopefully once the System has had time to apply the updates, do a Defender scan, and so on, then it may run cooler.1 -
It wouldn't hurt to stick an extra stick of 8gb RAM
Our HP laptops at work run warm to the touch underneath and we've had a few that were extremely warm during the hot spell but worked fine.
1 -
Did you check the heat pipe had not failed before you repasted? Just at the bottom end of your red like you drew on the image there is a patch that it looks like it might have been a failure point.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


